SiouxSports.com Forum

Dacotah Legacy Collection

jdub27

12 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

I didn't see it elsewhere in the thread (easily could have missed it), but the bookstore is letting you order a couple of the legacy items online - 1 men's shirt, 1 women's, and a couple of other items. 

Now that my order is placed and confirmed, I figured I'd share the news ;)

Move on loser and quit living in the past!

(Typed in my Geometric Sioux sweatshirt and hat)

• Upvote 2

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/3951477-our-opinion-und-selling-fighting-sioux-merchandise-not-problem

"And no, the question of the best way to lawfully keep that commercial mark is unsettled. Maybe it must be featured on merchandise on occasion. But maybe there are even lower-key ways, which Schafer's office now is trying to find."

IF UND wants any chance of being successful rolling out a new nickname and logo, this strategy is going to be their best option.  Produce items that are not going to be as visual to the general public.  If you want a new nickname and logo to be accepted, producing new sweatshirts and hats of the old one is not going to help that.  Make keychains, towels, stickers, etc.  Producing these items would still fit the requirements of legally keeping the trademark without flooding the market with additional apparel being sold with the old logo.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Make keychains, towels, stickers, etc.  Producing these items would still fit the requirements of legally keeping the trademark without flooding the market with additional apparel being sold with the old logo.

If they want to be able to enforce the trademark against the most likely sources of infringement (i.e., apparel, because that's what people want and that's what sells), it would be best to be using the trademark in that field, no?

35 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

If they want to be able to enforce the trademark against the most likely sources of infringement (i.e., apparel, because that's what people want and that's what sells), it would be best to be using the trademark in that field, no?

If UND wants to have people accept the new nickname and logo and purchase new Fighting Hawks merchandise, they should avoid making apparel products that will hurt sales of Fighting Hawks apparel.  I assume they can sell anything with the Sioux logo on it to fulfill the trademark laws, just has to be sold in stores for people to buy.  My point is UND should not be worried about making money on these Dakotah Legacy Collection items.  They should be concerned with just meeting the trademark requirements by selling as few and leeast profile items (not apparel) as possible.

44 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

My point is UND should not be worried about making money on these Dakotah Legacy Collection items.  

Well, there are people out there who will never accept the new nickname, so they may as well make some money on the old stuff.  And if I know anything about UND, they are always in it to make money. :)

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Well, there are people out there who will never accept the new nickname, so they may as well make some money on the old stuff.  And if I know anything about UND, they are always in it to make money. :)

Well then I guess it comes down to what is more important to UND.  Making a quick buck, or making the rebranding process of your athletic teams successful.  

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Well then I guess it comes down to what is more important to UND.  Making a quick buck, or making the rebranding process of your athletic teams successful.  

Countless sports franchises successfully market retro names, logos, and gear simultaneously with their current brand. In fact, with some teams (looking at you, MLB), I defy anyone to tell the old from the new. Why so little faith in UND?

21 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Do you think it would be inappropriate to bring a big Rubbermaid tote tonight to fill with all the "Sioux" stuff I buy?

Simple question.

Not trying to poke fun at anyone but I am glad to be able to get authentic Sioux gear.  Keeps me away from the Black Market.

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Not trying to poke fun at anyone but I am glad to be able to get authentic Sioux gear.  Keeps me away from the Black Market.

I've already went that route to get another Fighting Sioux jersey. It is pretty good quality, low price, and was pretty accurate. I compared it to an authentic jersey I have and about the only differences I found was the Sioux head was a little bit bigger and the logo was just a slightly different shade of tan. I knew there would be a little difference between it and an authentic but overall I was pretty happy with it especially for the price.

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Countless sports franchises successfully market retro names, logos, and gear simultaneously with their current brand. In fact, with some teams (looking at you, MLB), I defy anyone to tell the old from the new. Why so little faith in UND?

Oddly silent from the peanut gallery about the Great Ed Schafer trying to limit these retro brands. Could you imagine the uproar if it was Kelley?

*I think its great, UND is releasing these and should just do it unlimited and with everything as before with a small "Dacotah Legacy" logo. But Ed doesn't seem to want that.

......1310 am this morning. lady put her $2 sioux shot glass on ebay. Went for $40....Wonder what my etched circle mirror diameter of 24" (Brien logo, "university of north dakota, and Home of the Fighting Sioux" REA center ice style) retail $300 would go for?

1 hour ago, siouxstudent said:

This round of Dakota Legacy stuff as well as future ones is going to have zero effect on what Hawks stuff I someday (if ever) decide to buy I do know that. And if someone out there is really thinking well im gonna pass on this Hawks shirt and wait out those 200 Sioux sweatshirts that are coming next summer then more power to them. Its fun to have old retro stuff released every now and then. I have bought quite a few green colored blackhawks items which are basically retro Sioux items. Wont sway me either direction when it comes to the F'n Hawks stuff or make me think the old name is coming back.

In a healthy and happy lifestyle the two can coincide.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:46 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/3951477-our-opinion-und-selling-fighting-sioux-merchandise-not-problem

"And no, the question of the best way to lawfully keep that commercial mark is unsettled. Maybe it must be featured on merchandise on occasion. But maybe there are even lower-key ways, which Schafer's office now is trying to find."

IF UND wants any chance of being successful rolling out a new nickname and logo, this strategy is going to be their best option.  Produce items that are not going to be as visual to the general public.  If you want a new nickname and logo to be accepted, producing new sweatshirts and hats of the old one is not going to help that.  Make keychains, towels, stickers, etc.  Producing these items would still fit the requirements of legally keeping the trademark without flooding the market with additional apparel being sold with the old logo.

how about strictly producing lingerie?

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...