SiouxSports.com Forum

"Art Corridor Planned for 42nd St in GF"

Let'sGoHawks!

Southwest of the building The Loft is in. Directions are kind of screwy downtown, but the building on Demers and 4th, across Demers from Subway, other side of the alley of the building the Loft is in.

Above Bonzers and Guiseppes (Lander's Building)? Apartments. Most of all the downtown buildings either have their upstairs being used or are apartments. One thing is for sure is 42nd st. is a lousy choice for all of them. That is way to prime of land not to collect taxes off of. If they little tree farm there got taxed at it's actual value it would be sold tomorrow.

Or they could work together on it. I think you think of what is called art the same way I do. Do you shake your head thinking what the f? I don't think I am any more of a fan of spending money on such things. But overall they are what could be considered one of those necessary evils for an overall good. Here is something you might agree on. Tear down the Burtness Theater for space for the Business School to expand on. Then move the Burtness into the new library/museum/art center? Kind of would make a win win situation.

Well, I don't understand paint splatters, if that's what you're saying. As for the Business School expansion, I believe they were planning to use the old laundry building to the southwest of Gamble. I never stepped foot inside Burtness while on campus, I assume it's in rough shape?

Nope, move closer to the river. I'm fairly certain it was advertised as office space.

The old First National Bank building on 4th and DeMers. The top two floors would work but I don't think the city would be to up on losing that space for commercial use. That call center thing is using parts of that building. I don't know how many floors though.

Well, I don't understand paint splatters, if that's what you're saying. As for the Business School expansion, I believe they were planning to use the old laundry building to the southwest of Gamble. I never stepped foot inside Burtness while on campus, I assume it's in rough shape?

I don't get paint splatters or many sculptures either. I think if we were walking through and art gallery together we would be looking at each other saying wtf? I was just thinking they could use the old laundry print shop building and the Burtness for expansion of the BS. Not really rough shape as outdated. I still think you are right about using the Bronson Property (Gateway&Columbia). Problem is a building like what would be needed for the project would cost $30,000,000 or so. If only GF had families like the Daytons, Macmillans, Ordways, Pillsburys, etc. like Minneapolis/St. Paul does.

I don't get paint splatters or many sculptures either. I think if we were walking through and art gallery together we would be looking at each other saying wtf? I was just thinking they could use the old laundry print shop building and the Burtness for expansion of the BS. Not really rough shape as outdated. I still think you are right about using the Bronson Property (Gateway&Columbia). Problem is a building like what would be needed for the project would cost $30,000,000 or so. If only GF had families like the Daytons, Macmillans, Ordways, Pillsburys, etc. like Minneapolis/St. Paul does.

There is some money floating around Grand Forks (obviously not MSP level), but for some reason those with it just don't seem to want to spend it on a museum or a library. I wouldn't either if I was them.

I was thinking the new med school was going where the soccer field is. I think they would want to keep the rest for spin-off building.

They were moving dirt and staking out the land for the Med school before winter hit. It will be on the North East portion of the Bronson property. Not sure how much room would be left to the south. They will have to figure in parking for the Med school as well.

OK UNDBIZ but I think we have covered all we can think of and came up empty. I am out of ideas.

Yep, GF will just have to do without a museum/library/art center combo. If approved (doubtful), they should just put the new library in the current location.

The guys that own Rhombus Guys recently purchased the Opera House building in Downtown GF. I know they have some nice apartments in the upper level but I believe the main floor is still open. Not sure what they have in mind for it but perhaps a museum could be housed there. In looking at the website, the plans show a restaurant being in there, which currently isn't.

http://operalofts.com/history.htm

IIts said to say but majority of the library traffic is lower income people. They dont have the money to donate to it.

Like the new hockey aenas. Business are jumping tons of money in to that...cuz more higher end income earners will use that and have higher discretionary income to splurge at the busieness that donate dot the hockey arena

• Upvote 2

IIts said to say but majority of the library traffic is lower income people. They dont have the money to donate to it.

Like the new hockey aenas. Business are jumping tons of money in to that...cuz more higher end income earners will use that and have higher discretionary income to splurge at the busieness that donate dot the hockey arena

Very true.

The guys that own Rhombus Guys recently purchased the Opera House building in Downtown GF. I know they have some nice apartments in the upper level but I believe the main floor is still open. Not sure what they have in mind for it but perhaps a museum could be housed there. In looking at the website, the plans show a restaurant being in there, which currently isn't.

Have they closed on it yet? A little too small for an art museum.

It seems from the diagrams that the apartments are on all three floors leaving only the main floor in the front as open space.

Sports do seem to have a priority over education.