Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So they are voluntarily driving further to pay 7.50% sales tax in Fargo instead of 7.25% in Grand Forks? 

Unfortunately it is to be expected in a town that still feels it biggest recent accomplishment is getting a Chic-fik-A a few years back.  I like Mayor Bo but Grand Forks needed him at least 4 and idea

Having a mayor for that long of a period seems risky. With the current state of the Grand Forks economy compared to other local sister cities, I think it's time for him to go. Grand Forks needs some n

Posted Images

  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.twincities.com/2021/04/01/justices-uphold-fccs-easing-of-local-media-ownership-limits/

Will this affect local media in ND?  Will we see any changes?

The old rules prohibited a single entity from owning a radio or TV station and a daily newspaper in the same media market. They also limited how many radio and TV stations one company could own in a single market and restricted the number of TV stations a company could operate in one media market.

 

Republicans have long sought changes to the media-ownership rules. The FCC in 2017, then-run by a Republican chairman, decided that since the internet has so changed media, allowing more consolidation in newspapers and broadcasters would be good for consumers.

The FCC now has a Democratic chairwoman who dissented from the 2017 order. But it is not yet fully staffed to let it take on controversial measures.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

The old rules prohibited a single entity from owning a radio or TV station and a daily newspaper in the same media market.

Um ... what? 

ForumComm owns WDAY-TV (Fargo), The (Fargo) Forum, WDAY-AM (Fargo radio). <- single market

And they owned WDAZ-TV (Grand Forks) and the GF Herald. <- single market

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Um ... what? 

ForumComm owns WDAY-TV (Fargo), The (Fargo) Forum, WDAY-AM (Fargo radio). <- single market

And they owned WDAZ-TV (Grand Forks) and the GF Herald. <- single market

I guess the ruling upheld a 2017 ruling when the changes were actually made?

"The Supreme Court on Thursday unanimously upheld federal regulators’ decision to ease ownership limits on local media, rejecting a claim that the change would hurt minority and female ownership.  The court said the Federal Communications Commission acted reasonably in 2017 when it modified rules that predated the internet."

So I guess we already saw the changes....

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Um ... what? 

ForumComm owns WDAY-TV (Fargo), The (Fargo) Forum, WDAY-AM (Fargo radio). <- single market

And they owned WDAZ-TV (Grand Forks) and the GF Herald. <- single market

Maybe because the cross-ownership existed prior to 1975? I don't know. Did they allow grandfathering or approvals on a case-by-case basis?

And ForumComm doesn't own WDAY-AM anymore. Or if they do, it won't be for long. ForumComm sold/is selling WDAY-AM to Flag Family Media.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

And ForumComm doesn't own WDAY-AM anymore. Or if they do, it won't be for long. ForumComm sold/is selling WDAY-AM to Flag Family Media.

I had heard Flag Family was operating WDAY-AM under a management agreement. Is that for sure going to transition? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I had heard Flag Family was operating WDAY-AM under a management agreement. Is that for sure going to transition? 

http://www.insideradio.com/free/flag-family-media-on-path-to-ownership-of-wday-fargo/article_a5f98d9a-236e-11eb-90bb-6322c6cb5a70.html

Quote

Flag Family Media begins operating Forum Communications WDAY Fargo (970) with an eventual path to ownership of the news/talk station.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

New bmx track coming to GF.  Article mentions a children’s museum and athletic facilities could also be a part of the project.  Supposed to go up south of south parking lot of the Alerus.  Only question I have, will this be done before or after the completion of the Hockey hall of fame and monorail? (Purple)

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/government-and-politics/6966072-Grand-Forks’-new-BMX-park-promises-big-biking-action-—-and-big-things-to-come

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 5:50 PM, dmksioux said:

New bmx track coming to GF.  Article mentions a children’s museum and athletic facilities could also be a part of the project.  Supposed to go up south of south parking lot of the Alerus.  Only question I have, will this be done before or after the completion of the Hockey hall of fame and monorail? (Purple)

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/government-and-politics/6966072-Grand-Forks’-new-BMX-park-promises-big-biking-action-—-and-big-things-to-come

Childrens museum is being built in Minot in part with help from Air Force.  

https://rejournals.com/kraus-anderson-building-childrens-museum-in-north-dakota/

Designed by Minot-based Ackerman-Estvold, the $14 million project, including exhibit costs, is funded in part by a $6.3 million grant from the Department of Defense, and through public-private partnerships with the City of Minot and Minot Park District.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...