Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
UND Fan

Grand Forks Economy

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

It's unbelievable what has happened at malls all over the country since the glory days of the 1980's and early 1990's.  

Jeff Bezos believes ... 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Jeff Bezos believes ... 

It's only a matter of time before he controls everything and the only way you can buy a box of cold cereal and milk is to pay him $100 and have him ship it to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't surprise me if Cabelas closed in EGF.

Hearing lots of negative things ever since Bass Pro Shops bought it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cratter said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Cabelas closed in EGF.

Hearing lots of negative things ever since Bass Pro Shops bought it.

Negative in what way?  That place was always pretty busy from what I remember.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cratter said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Cabelas closed in EGF.

Hearing lots of negative things ever since Bass Pro Shops bought it.

Brass Pro Shops is much more married to superstores near interstates.  Cabelas in EGF doesn't mesh well with Bass Pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Brass Pro Shops is much more married to superstores near interstates.  Cabelas in EGF doesn't mesh well with Bass Pro.

These mergers/buying another company often means "ok now let's see where we can trim the fat."

Cabelas kept it's headquarters in the small town of Sidney, Nebraska throughout all it's growth. Now that they got bought out all those jobs moved or were eliminated. Went from 2,000 to 200 jobs.

Not much different than what is happening with Artic Cat.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've already noticed a plethora of changes in Cabelas that has drastically reduced my shopping through them. 

Everything seems cheaper in quality.

Unfortunately everytime I goninto the East Grand store it just "feels" like its in a death spiral.  

Does it still fall under some type of tax benefits from the city? I'd imagine that would have expired long ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 8:39 AM, Frozen4sioux said:

I've already noticed a plethora of changes in Cabelas that has drastically reduced my shopping through them. 

Everything seems cheaper in quality.

Unfortunately everytime I goninto the East Grand store it just "feels" like its in a death spiral.  

Does it still fall under some type of tax benefits from the city? I'd imagine that would have expired long ago.

< sung to the tune of Video killed the Radio star* > 

Amazon killed the brick and mortar store, 
Amazon killed the brick and mortar store ... 

 

 

*I found the song here. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

< sung to the tune of Video killed the Radio star* > 

Amazon killed the brick and mortar store, 
Amazon killed the brick and mortar store ... 

 

 

*I found the song here. ;) 

I'll do you one better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So easy to compare and lambast Grand Forks economy to those south of us, but Fargo and Sioux Falls have two of the top four economies today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.southcoasttoday.com/news/20191219/ziprecruiter-says-providence-metro-area---which-includes-new-bedford---is-nations-fourth-hottest-job-market%3ftemplate=ampart

In fairness to Grand Forks, I am fairly sure the GF market wasn't included in the study.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

In fairness to Grand Forks, I am fairly sure the GF market wasn't included in the study.

Good job missing the point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm not believing that. I'm pretty sure some of the UND Med School faculty make more than what that shows. 

You are right, Wynn makes $695,000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, northernraider said:

Highest Paid Employees By State

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story?_slug_=dabo-swinney-ed-orgeron-highest-paid-state-employees&id=28261213&redirected=true

Grand Forks School Director is the highest public employee in the state.

I guess North Dakota should be glad it is not a college coach, but still surprising. 

Yeah that's not even close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One area that Grand Forks is not keeping up with Fargo and Sioux Falls is biotech.

Aldevron is now a Fargo home-grown jewel with over a 1000 Fargo jobs.  Aldevron just signed a large contract with a large biotech to supply the plasmid for gene therapy, so its future is likely good for a longtime.

https://www.inforum.com/business/healthcare/4047111-International-firm-acquiring-majority-stake-in-Fargo-based-Aldevron

USD’s biotech center is spinning out jobs in Sioux Falls and there are other Ag biotech companies there.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/business-journal/2019/12/31/growing-bio-med-s-d-how-usd-center-driving-industry/2786560001/

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/business-journal/2017/06/21/south-dakota-biotech-growing-despite-hurdles/408855001/

Grand Forks has Avianax, which has made a vaccine from goose eggs for the dog parvovirus, but not necessarily jobs, and also Novadigm, which has more or less floundered.  Biotech takes time and big money, so the area is at a disadvantage anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 3:16 PM, northernraider said:

You are right, Wynn makes $695,000

Sens makes a lot but she gets compensated for from both the University and the State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/4884971-Columbia-Mall-redevelopment-could-see-action-later-this-year

I count this as an incredible amount of BS.

“We're going to have to bring some incentives to them,” he said. “And some of it might be a little bit different than what we normally do with straight property transactions.”

Give them nothing, ever. These asshats have got the city right where they want them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/4884971-Columbia-Mall-redevelopment-could-see-action-later-this-year

I count this as an incredible amount of BS.

“We're going to have to bring some incentives to them,” he said. “And some of it might be a little bit different than what we normally do with straight property transactions.”

Give them nothing, ever. These asshats have got the city right where they want them.

Would rather see the small companies that rent out space in the mall get tax incentives.  The tax breaks that these bigger projects always seem to get are ridiculous.  If they want downtown to grow, they should tell the mall to kick sand.  Let the free market work itself out without government interference tipping the scales, especially if they want to see growth downtown.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...