SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

It's the type of jobs in Grand Forks that would need to be addressed really. I loved my time in Grand Forks, but I wasn't afforded the opportunity to stay. For me personally, that may have been a good thing, long run. Money isn't everything, but everything I was offered in Grand Forks/25 mile area wasn't the salary/wage I spent 4 years getting a degree for. I moved to Williston, and got more than I was probably worth at that current market value for me, but offers in other comparable communities were consistently ~10% better. 

Things that like that NG-to Nitrogen plant are really what GF needs for The Sicatoka's idea. 

• Upvote 1

It's the type of jobs in Grand Forks that would need to be addressed really. I loved my time in Grand Forks, but I wasn't afforded the opportunity to stay. For me personally, that may have been a good thing, long run. Money isn't everything, but everything I was offered in Grand Forks/25 mile area wasn't the salary/wage I spent 4 years getting a degree for. I moved to Williston, and got more than I was probably worth at that current market value for me, but offers in other comparable communities were consistently ~10% better. 

Things that like that NG-to Nitrogen plant are really what GF needs for The Sicatoka's idea. 

Agreed.  It's actually gotten to the point where there is a bit of a stigma to not get out of Grand Forks after graduation.  Take a job in Grand Forks fresh out of college, "Oh, you couldn't get a better paying job?"  The abundance of college students makes the businesses think they'll have the pick of the litter so they offer garbage wages, then when they don't get a good employee they blame the city amenities and jack up property taxes for a new library, art corridor, and museum.

Unfortunately for GF, the Fargo metro has the jobs for UND grads.  Bigger and better engineering firms, bigger and better accounting firms, bigger and better mall, bigger and better news media, better hospitals (also, emphasis on plural), Microsoft, Cargill, Titan Machinery, 3 universities (2 of which are good for hiring entry level professors), cheaper housing, cheaper everything else, and potential for southern and western expansion via West Fargo.  

You are equating bigger with better; they are not the same thing.  Ask long-time residents of Williston if bigger=better and they'll give you a mixed answer.  The answer is not to just give up and throw in the towel.  Quitters never win and winners never quit.  Sicatoka is 100% spot on with his post and I wish Grand Forks leaders (and the leaders of this campus for that matter) would get the message as well.

And FYI, GF is growing to the west (there was a story in the Heraldo about it this week).

Didn't mean to equate bigger with better.  Fargo has better engineering firms, better accounting firms, better mall, better news media, better hospitals (also, emphasis on plural), Microsoft, Cargill, Titan Machinery, 3 less good :hypocrite: universities (2 of which are good for hiring entry level professors), cheaper housing, cheaper everything else, and potential for southern and western expansion via West Fargo.  In my experience, Fargo businesses also pay better.

Also, bigger does matter when a college grad is looking for a job.  Bigger means more openings.

I don't disagree with Sic's message.  Grand Forks is in need of a culture change.  UND is in need of a proactive president.

Folks, simple reality: 

Progress is good. 

Monstrosities like this poseur 'gfhockey' and his delusional "old boys" are what will make Grand Forks probably not a top five city in the state in my lifetime. (Fargo, Bismarck, Minot, Williston, and either Mandan or Dickinson ... or both). 

Grand Forks needs to fix its "Eeyore" attitude. GF is sure what it *can't* do. There is nothing that Fargo has that Grand Forks doesn't have also (save for one interstate highway) and it has some things that Fargo just doesn't but they aren't used: 

- Major university? Check

- I-29 for N/S transport? Check

- Direct road to major US port (Duluth)? Check

- Direct road to the Bakken? Check

- Major N/S and E/W railways including crossing the Red? Check 

What Grand Forks *does* have that Fargo doesn't:

- Major flood protection already installed (Fargo's staring at a $2 billion bill)

- Multiple water sources to support growth (people and industry) -- Fargo may *need* water from the Missouri just to meet basic needs in the not so distant future and that cost would make flood protection sound cheap*

- Strong ability to support areas of the "new" economy (Bakken, UAV) through UND and unique items (GFAFB)

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: Fargo is where it is because it is self-confident to a fault; Grand Forks is self-unassured to a fault. 

And the 1997 flood, I'm sorry it happened, it was horrific, but it was nearly two decades ago. It's usefulness as an excuse has worn thin. Move on. (Quit clinging to the past, like with other subjects as well ... ) 

Grand Forks has done some great things (flood protection after surviving that mess is primary) but is afraid to admit it. 

*If you don't have water, you're done. GF has all the water Fargo has plus the Wild Rice (of MN) and Red Lake Rivers. 

PS - Dear GFH ink-stained wretches that read this: Feel free to use it for your next editorial if you dare. 

There's a lot of accurate things in this post.  Grand Forks could do or could have done everything that Fargo has done, but quite simply is run by parochial old men who hate anyone or anything that will upset the status quo.  I remember from when I lived there that the city government and more than a fair share of the residents pretty much hated UND students, other young people, and anyone who had anything to do with the air force base.  Merchants loved the extra dollars those groups brought in but had no interest in treating anyone fairly in terms of employment, while law enforcement mainly viewed UND students as second class citizens who weren't deserving of the same treatment as their neighbors.  Now that was 10 years ago but every time I'm back I get the feeling not much has changed.

• Upvote 2

The UAV Park will do much more to transform GF's culture than the nitrogen plant.   While 2000 construction workers will be around, that plant won't bring much of a different mindset than Crystal sugar or the french fry plants.  The UAV people that will be brought in aerospace companies will demand changes just in the culture, and they will cause change with their buying habits.  If the UAV park gets to 500 people,  watch out.  Its important to have an ingrained entrepreneurial culture, which GF is lacking.  The UAV park will help change that.

• Upvote 2

Folks, simple reality: 

Progress is good. 

Monstrosities like this poseur 'gfhockey' and his delusional "old boys" are what will make Grand Forks probably not a top five city in the state in my lifetime. (Fargo, Bismarck, Minot, Williston, and either Mandan or Dickinson ... or both). 

Grand Forks needs to fix its "Eeyore" attitude. GF is sure what it *can't* do. There is nothing that Fargo has that Grand Forks doesn't have also (save for one interstate highway) and it has some things that Fargo just doesn't but they aren't used: 

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: Fargo is where it is because it is self-confident to a fault; Grand Forks is self-unassured to a fault. 

Grand Forks is run by people who's grandparents 'made it' and they are more concerned with keeping theirs than having a dynamic economy for everyone.

• Upvote 1