SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

Rather than hoping for infrastructure to catch up, I'd really like to see more infill development.  The apartments going in by the railyard by UND and Columbia?  Awesome.  The apartments just north of Columbia Mall?  Great.  The north end has space for new development; Gateway could certainly be turned into a better home for businesses than it is now.

Gateway is in dire need of a makeover.

They either need to put the ramps on the Merrifield overpass or to put in the proposed exchange at 47th Avenue. Honestly, I'd say "Merrifield" because they could put a bridge over the Red on that road. It would go past the GFCC and not through an existing neighborhood.

Another long overdue project. Could you imaging anytime someone in fargo wanted to go to Moorhead they'd have to drive downtown.

Are you suggesting gf reject some of these permits?

The laybout of roads in gf is pretty ridiculous. Only 2.5 "4lane" north south roads... And 3 4lane east west with only one south of half the city where all the new construction is taking place. Gf doesn't seem to ever be ahead on these things..why isn't Columbia road south of 32nd 4 lanes yet to kings walk (along with 42 all the way to furniture row and beyond)? That new stop sign by the dentist office in the mornings has a mile long wait. The road by south middle school is becoming a major corridor and needs to be 4 lanes and if not that one the one just to the north of it that runs by Marcos pizza to that new dentist office.

The long way to really solve these problems is building West Grand Forks over the interstate on 32nd, but I don't see that happening. Too much of a mental block I guess.

Took the city how many years to finally connect the industrial park road.

Sometimes the lack of vision in GF is infuriating to me.
  • Upvote 1

Recently is better than never I suppose. And since Grand Forks doesn't have the rapid growth Fargo does you'd think it be easier to keep up. Fargo has a lot more areas of growth while grand forks basically had a pretty small area to develop. South of 32nd from the interstate to Washington.

Fargo's growth is also isoloated south of 32nd.  It is very similar.  Fargo can only grow south, landlocked by West Fargo and the river.  They aren't light years ahead of GF in road development.  Soon they will have to tear up the areas where they are using round abouts.  Those roads will have to be widened and there is no way that a two lane round about will work in this area.  They are reacting to the growth as well.

Fargo's growth is also isoloated south of 32nd. It is very similar. Fargo can only grow south, landlocked by West Fargo and the river. They aren't light years ahead of GF in road development. Soon they will have to tear up the areas where they are using round abouts. Those roads will have to be widened and there is no way that a two lane round about will work in this area. They are reacting to the growth as well.

Fargo could grow north and west if they wanted to. North of the airport to Harwood, and east to the river swallowing up North River, also west from 45th st then north to Reiles Acres. Just like GF could go north to Manvel and west to the Airport or Air Base, but both cities are focusing on moving south. Soon GF will be touching Thompson and Fargo will be touching Wahpeton (ok not that far south)

• Upvote 1

Don't forget about downtown. There's currently a nice little nucleus but there is so much potential down there it's not even funny. There are plenty of areas that could use a facelift.

Has GF ever thought about high rise buildings? I know Fargo thought about it for their downtown but some said the soil couldn't take it. Could you imagine downtown looking like a mini Minneapolis.

Fargo could grow north and west if they wanted to. North of the airport to Harwood, and east to the river swallowing up North River, also west from 45th st then north to Reiles Acres. Just like GF could go north to Manvel and west to the Airport or Air Base, but both cities are focusing on moving south. Soon GF will be touching Thompson and Fargo will be touching Wahpeton (ok not that far south)

LOL, that got me to laugh on a gloomy, rainy Monday. :)

They could. Point of my post was that Fargo's current growth is as isolated as the growth in GF.

If it would make downtown more professional and business-friendly, then I would be open to it.

Could you imagine driving down DeMers towards EGF and seeing 40-50 story buildings. I still look up in Ahh when I see that in downtown Mpls.

Don't forget about downtown. There's currently a nice little nucleus but there is so much potential down there it's not even funny. There are plenty of areas that could use a facelift.

One of the big things that will continue to hamper downtown is the heavy truck and other traffic that uses Demers to get into EGF.  A bridge on the south end is needed desperately.

One of the big things that will continue to hamper downtown is the heavy truck and other traffic that uses Demers to get into EGF.  A bridge on the south end is needed desperately.

I agree with you.  But every time a south-end bridge is even casually talked about, the NIMBY crowd comes out in force with their horror stories of their kids being run over and killed if a bridge is built in their immediate neighborhood.  The City Council needs to grow a backbone and decide to do something about this and let the NIMBY crowd howl in protest all they want.  I think the majority of Grand Forks citizens would support a decision like this.

I agree with you. But every time a south-end bridge is even casually talked about, the NIMBY crowd comes out in force with their horror stories of their kids being run over and killed if a bridge is built in their immediate neighborhood. The City Council needs to grow a backbone and decide to do something about this and let the NIMBY crowd howl in protest all they want. I think the majority of Grand Forks citizens would support a decision like this.

There is no bridge between the Point and Thompson is there?

• Upvote 1

That's nuts. That's about 10 miles with no crossing.

And the reason it is that way is because in Grand Forks, all it takes to stop something like this is to get about a dozen people to go to the appropriate committee meeting and give teary-eyed speeches about how their children will be in constant mortal danger if you build a south-end bridge.  Council members need to look past re-election sometimes and make tough choices like this or our three existing bridges will get beat up and require more maintenance sooner than they should.  The problem isn't going to go away because some people want it to.

And the reason it is that way is because in Grand Forks, all it takes to stop something like this is to get about a dozen people to go to the appropriate committee meeting and give teary-eyed speeches about how their children will be in constant mortal danger if you build a south-end bridge. Council members need to look past re-election sometimes and make tough choices like this or our three existing bridges will get beat up and require more maintenance sooner than they should. The problem isn't going to go away because some people want it to.

Even Crookston built a truck bypass, there is no reason GF can't. Just wait until GF throws out some bike lanes on the busy streets like they did Fargo. Then people will cry about kids getting hit by cars.

• Upvote 1