SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Clearly the article states the new owner is simply selling it and it will be open for a long time.  Apparently, it happens alot.

A lot of folks are really good at building and starting a place but terrible at long-term operations and management.
A lot of other folks are really good at running an existing place but have no idea how to start something from a greenfield up. 

If this is a transition from the first type to the second type it's a good thing. 

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Say the mall did close, what do you guys think happens to the property and how does that change the shopping market in GF?  Property gets re developed into apartments?  Does downtown see more shops open as a result?  More new strip malls?

Topgolf and laser tag...

Scheels could make it as standalone, tear down the rest and develop as mixed use condos shoppes ...

Maybe an indoor outlet center?

14 minutes ago, bang said:

Looked it up looks pretty cool. 

Did it at a bachelor party and it was an absolute blast. We had a great group for it though because everyone was aggressive athletic and drunk. We looked over at a different group “playing” it and they made it look pretty lame. There’s one in Maple Grove, i think it’s the closest place.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/workplace/4575302-united-way-donations-drop-grand-forks

Contributions to the Grand Forks United Way have fallen 22 percent since 2013, including a 23 percent decline from 2016 to 2017, the most recent year figures are readily available....

Anne Cohen, a senior lecturer at the University of Minnesota and head of the nonprofit management program in the Carlson School of Business, said donations can fluctuate year over year, but given there were not major issues with the economy in 2017, the significant drop in dollars in Grand Forks is puzzling.

Ummm, not really.  UND, the area's largest employer by far, has been hemorrhaging highly paid and senior employees...layoffs, eliminated positions, restructuring, buyouts, toxic environment.

What's puzzling is that this is the first we're hearing about possible collateral damage, and nobody seems to want to address the green elephant in the room.

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Worst kept secret in gf

university store to be Casey’s 

just couksnt comptete against the locally owned stores 

Wasn't this announced last year and then it was drawn back on? I know caseys website even had the address listed in locations in the week leading up to the change, U station had some teasing posts, and then nothing happened.

2 hours ago, Wildfan said:

Wasn't this announced last year and then it was drawn back on? I know caseys website even had the address listed in locations in the week leading up to the change, U station had some teasing posts, and then nothing happened.

If they are closed tomorrow morning, I'd say it's going to happen on Friday.

Between the very tough times at UND, the downfall of Altru, the undeniable closure of the mall and other failed businesses in Grand Forks, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the Minot community might be looking stronger than GF for the first time in a LONG time. UND and Altru are pillars of that community, and when they're failing everything else in the community eventually feels the burn as well, and it's showing. The mess at the Herald and the closure of WDAZ are smaller issues but just add to the pile. Is it true the Alerus Center is also a large financial burden? I've heard it's constantly upside down financially.