SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

So does Hugo's plan to build this store before the one on the south end which was part of another development?  People bought townhouses on the south end with that development in mind, so I would hope Hugo's would honor that development first. 

Fargo has been so blessed with local corporations that have hit grand slams economically.  Great Plains software was the first and Aldevron may be the second.  http://www.inforum.com/news/science-and-nature/4503280-aldevron-fargos-next-microsoft-homegrown-biotechnology-firm   Biotech is so competive and Aldevron seems to have found a supply niche where they have filled a gap.

I don’t count cooperatives or the State Mill as they don’t create nearly the value and are mainly interested in surviving, not diversifying or investing in other related fields.

The aerospace companies in Grand Forks aren’t based there so they don’t create nearly the long term value.  Polaris, Digi Key and Marvin Windows are examples that have.

15 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Polaris, Digi Key and Marvin Windows are examples that have.

Amsoil in Duluth/Superior.

Grand Forks leaders seem to be afraid to compete and "take away jobs" from neighboring community to get these companies to move here.

Fargo says, "Screw that. We don't care about being good neighbors. Give us your FedEx jobs Grand Forks. Give us your Marvin Windows jobs Warroad (Integrity division), and give us your Digi Key jobs TRF (20-30% or so of DigiKey orders are shipped out of Fargo and that number keeps growing)."

26 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Amsoil in Duluth/Superior.

Grand Forks leaders seem to be afraid to compete and "take away jobs" from neighboring community to get these companies to move here.

Fargo says, "Screw that. We don't care about being good neighbors. Give us your FedEx jobs Grand Forks. Give us your Marvin Windows jobs Warroad (Integrity division), and give us your Digi Key jobs TRF (20-30% or so of DigiKey orders are shipped out of Fargo and that number keeps growing)."

Cirrus Aircraft is also big in Duluth.  To think that Grand Forks could have been its corporate HQ.  Cirrus has like 1200 employees now, including a big sales office at the Knoxville airport.

Polaris moved its corporate HQ to the Cities as their product offering has diversified will beyond snowcats, but its impact on Roseau is still huge.

40 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Cirrus Aircraft is also big in Duluth.  To think that Grand Forks could have been its corporate HQ.  Cirrus has like 1200 employees now, including a big sales office at the Knoxville airport.

Polaris moved its corporate HQ to the Cities as their product offering has diversified will beyond snowcats, but its impact on Roseau is still huge.

Was aware of Cirrus. But didn't realize how big Amsoil was until recently with some of my powersport acquisitions. And them having their name on Duluths new hockey arena.

Cirrus in Grand Forks at least physically shrunk when Amazon took over part of their building. And then Amazon shrunk and didn't need that building anymore. And now Amazon's presence is going to be virtually eliminated in Grand Forks as the employees start to work at home. They don't need to hire people physically located in Grand Forks anymore.

Was disappointed to hear about Polaris moving it's HQ to the cities when it happened as I spent a few summers in Roseau growing up. Crazy to see these big powersport companies all located in Northern Minnesota. (Artic Cat and Polaris were essentially started by the same person.) Textron recently bought Artic Cat. Could be some changes coming to that company. Before the purchase the HQ moved from trf also to Minneapolis.  St Cloud has started to become a big Artic Cat hub now with their engines and Atv engineering coming out of there.

4 hours ago, Tenacious B said:

I’ve been begging the owner of India Palace in Fargo to open one in GF but he wants to keep it a single location and family run.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’ve been begging the owner of India Palace in Fargo to open one in GF but he wants to keep it a single location and family run.

Aren’t there immigrants from Nepal if GF?  While it’s not exactly Indian food, but close, someone should sponsor a restaurant with that cuisine.

There are several chefs around here that whip up Indian food in a buffet style at a Whole Foods knockoff and those chefs are not Indian. 

Anybody know what's going on south of Rydell Honda/Nissan?  County records show the owner as Saturn Development Co., LLC, who purchased the land (5 acres) in 2015.

Per Google:

Saturn Development is located in Grand Forks, North Dakota. This organization primarily operates in the Automation and Robotics Consultant business / industry within the Engineering, Accounting, Research, and Management Services sector. This organization has been operating for approximately 27 years. Saturn Development is estimated to generate $690,000 in annual revenues, and employs approximately 6 people at this single location.

On 9/25/2018 at 7:59 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Anybody know what's going on south of Rydell Honda/Nissan?  County records show the owner as Saturn Development Co., LLC, who purchased the land (5 acres) in 2015.

Per Google:

image.png.7facdef0440fd6efa40242af8398c12d.png

Given the contact name i'd guess that entity owns the land for the dealership and surrounding area.

On 9/25/2018 at 7:44 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Aren’t there immigrants from Nepal if GF?  While it’s not exactly Indian food, but close, someone should sponsor a restaurant with that cuisine.

There are several chefs around here that whip up Indian food in a buffet style at a Whole Foods knockoff and those chefs are not Indian. 

Pete Haga could always find time in his extremely busy city of Grand Forks schedule to open up another food truck?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

What bank has the largest presence in Forks? I am asking out of curiosity, I work at a bank. 

Is it Alerus? Or maybe first international?

Depends what you mean by presence,  Bremer has over $10 Billion in assets so by that measure I'm pretty sure they would be by a decent margin.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Sears declares bankruptcy, finally.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/15/sears-is-closing-another-142-stores-heres-a-map-of-the-locations-it-has-left.html

Wonder if the Kmart at South Forks finally shuts its doors.

k mart will close when their lease expires in the next few years...will become some sort of old persons home

• Like 1