Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
UND Fan

Grand Forks Economy

Recommended Posts

What happened to the big fertilizer plant that was to come to GF using Bakken oil oil ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 1:34 PM, Cratter said:

If Fargo raises their minimum wage, will Grand Forks have no option but to follow?

GF could soon have a $12 minimum wage.

If you want GF to be the next stop on the McDonald’s labor automation tour by all means go ahead.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fetch said:

What happened to the big fertilizer plant that was to come to GF using Bakken oil oil ?

With the problems getting urea out of the cities this spring I could see the plant get a little more pressure.  I believe there needs to be a little more pricing adjustment for it to pan out.  Definitely still in discussions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This came out today

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Fetch said:

This came out today

 

Maybe the bang up business that Beulah’s urea plant did this spring opened some investors eyes.   Still seems like a high mountain to climb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone hear buzz on Costco coming to Grand Forks?  On Costco.com if you put zip code 58201 in on Insta Cart for 1-hour grocery delivery it says coming to 58201 soon.  Is that just delivery, or Costco itself?  Would think the old Macy’s would be perfect for Costco because they would have room for gas station in parking lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, tnt said:

Anyone hear buzz on Costco coming to Grand Forks?  On Costco.com if you put zip code 58201 in on Insta Cart for 1-hour grocery delivery it says coming to 58201 soon.  Is that just delivery, or Costco itself?  Would think the old Macy’s would be perfect for Costco because they would have room for gas station in parking lot.

Hornbachers uses Instacart for their delivery. Not sure if related. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Costco would be the biggest retail addition ever.  The Sears store will be vacant soon too.  It would take more than an hour to deliver from Fargo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, northernraider said:

Hornbachers uses Instacart for their delivery. Not sure if related. 

Might just be Instacart for Hornbachers.  You would think there would have been some rumblings if Costco was coming soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2018 at 11:42 PM, tnt said:

Anyone hear buzz on Costco coming to Grand Forks?  On Costco.com if you put zip code 58201 in on Insta Cart for 1-hour grocery delivery it says coming to 58201 soon.  Is that just delivery, or Costco itself?  Would think the old Macy’s would be perfect for Costco because they would have room for gas station in parking lot.

Interesting. I put in Jamestown and Bismarck and got the "sorry" message.

GF isn't "1 hour" but same day, isn't it? West Fargo location would work for that. 

Costco has owned dirt in Bismarck longer than the West Fargo location has been open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Costco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No more printed Grand Forks Herald on Mondays. Online Only.

Thus, 

Quote

 We will close our Grand Forks press facility and consolidate printing operations with The Forum in Fargo.

Feels like when WDAY started to take over WDAZ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Cratter said:

No more printed Grand Forks Herald on Mondays. Online Only.

Thus, 

Feels like when WDAY started to take over WDAZ.

The end game is clear.

At some point in the future, the Grand Forks Herald will be shut down and dissolved.

Current Heraldo subscribers will be offered a Fargo Forum subscription, probably a six month "free trial" period to suck people in.

UND sports coverage will drop to almost zero and everyone will be subjected to Bison, Bison, Bison 24/7/365. People will soon forget UND has an athletic department.

I can tell you this right now: I will never, ever, subscribe to the Fargo Forum. I don't care how many free months they offer.

But I suppose all the newly minted Bison fans in Grand Forks will be okay with it. :silly::angry:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Current Heraldo subscribers will be offered a Fargo Forum subscription, probably a six month "free trial" period to suck people in.

But at least they'll change their name to the Valley Forum to accurately describe their new market....or maybe rename Grand Forks to Grand Fargo.

With the Forum recently selling the Herald building, I can see them wanting the staff to work from home or Fargo in the not-to-distant future.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read the paper at work and most days, there is zero substance. Seems there has to be enough happening in the Red River Valley to fill a decent paper, but it comes down to having reporters to get these stories. Sadly, reporters cost money that GFH cant sustain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I read the paper at work and most days, there is zero substance. Seems there has to be enough happening in the Red River Valley to fill a decent paper, but it comes down to having reporters to get these stories. Sadly, reporters cost money that GFH cant sustain. 

But I imagine the Fargo Forum remains as fat as ever.

Thus my theory of what is coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

But I imagine the Fargo Forum remains as fat as ever.

Thus my theory of what is coming.

The Forum has shrunk drastically in recent years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, forksandspoons said:

The Forum has shrunk drastically in recent years

Wow, I am surprised that MR. Marcil has allowed that to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

But I imagine the Fargo Forum remains as fat as ever.

Thus my theory of what is coming.

Not really.  All the ND papers are pretty scant.  Being owned by the same company it would make sense to consolidate.  The Forum has plenty of UND sports coverage.  I don't see how a consolidation would have any impact on UND.  At least 90% of the current content of the 2 papers has to be the same already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

At least 90% of the current content of the 2 papers has to be the same already.

Same could be said with lots of newspapers around the country. Including the Minot Daily and Bismarck Tribune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×