SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

12 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Hugo's has some interest in the old Scheel's spot so they can expand the liquor store and the grocery store. I don't know if the hold up is cost of rent or if they have decided to concentrate on building the new store on South Washington. It may take some time to sort out the Macy's spot. I assume that Kmart is still making money and that's why they keep it open. Overhead is probably pretty low on that building, which helps with profitability. That plus a built in clientele within walking distance.

With owning two liquor stores currently and a new store planned where you'd assume they'd also want to put a liquor store, Hugo's will either have to close one of the existing ones or lobby to get the city ordinance changed. I can't see them sticking money into expanding the store on Columbia if they would end up closing it.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Interesting.  this could generate foot traffic and is unique.

I'm having deja vu...back to the first couple of pages in this thread right before Schools moved. :) 

With Scheels nearing completion and reality, this is a valid conversation to have. Of course, it's a good news/bad news thing, right? Great news for Columbia Mall and the key to a possible jump-start and renaissance. Not so good for the present location, which leaves a big footprint to fill. See, e.g., Exhibits A-Z: dozens of former Wal-Mart stores around the country abandoned for SuperCenters, the former still sitting vacant 5-10 years later.

Which leads me conveniently to the next point…we need somebody with vision and capital. The current Scheels store could be a great project. Think indoor entertainment venue. Think Dave & Busters. Think Incredible Pizza Company. How many putt-putt holes are there in the Forks? NONE. How many go-cart tracks? NONE. How many laser tag arenas? NONE. How many batting cages? A couple. How many arcades? A couple. How long was this past winter? SIX MONTHS! Anybody else smell opportunity here?

IMHO, Grand Forks needs a quality of living boost, and the Arts Corridor alone is not going to cut it.

Only problem is we now have TWO large footprints to fill.

Malls are dying because of this crazy thing called "online shopping". Jeff Bezos can explain. 

These days you buy new kicks from Amazon and they are drone delivered while you tweet at (and Facebook stalk) that breezy honey you want to meet up with at Starbucks or Panera.

Back in the day you went to the mall to meet girls in the food court and buy sweet new Air Jordans. Oxbow and Mafia can explain. :D

• Upvote 2

Just now, UND1983 said:

Now Zales is closing in the Columbia Mall.  That place is in trouble.  Was in there a few nights ago and I would guess there were 20-25 people TOTAL moving around in the corridors.  

Where are all the teenagers and college kids milling around the mall?  Oh wait...............either protesting the election, having cry-ins or on Snapchat.

17 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Now Zales is closing in the Columbia Mall.  That place is in trouble.  Was in there a few nights ago and I would guess there were 20-25 people TOTAL moving around in the corridors.  

That was a long time coming. The parent company of Kay's (Signet) bought out Zales in 2014.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Back in the day you went to the mall to meet girls in the food court and buy sweet new Air Jordans. Oxbow and Mafia can explain. :D

I'm pretty sure Mafia was too old to buy Air Jordans....Chuck Taylors maybe.:D

13 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I position out of collide was part of Dayton Hudson opening the Mall.  Many changes over the years.  Big Box stores is a dying breed with internet sales.  Something like entertainment may work not sure of the solution. 

My first job out of high school was at Target. I helped open the store in the mall. I worked there all the way through college and for more than 3 years in management after college. Retail is totally different from the summer of 1978. But I don't think it will completely go away real soon. Too many people want the instant gratification of walking in a store and picking up merchandise. They also like to see and feel it in person. VR is going to have to keep improving to replace the sensations of feeling the fabric in a shirt or seeing the color of things in person for many people.

31 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

My first job out of high school was at Target. I helped open the store in the mall. I worked there all the way through college and for more than 3 years in management after college. Retail is totally different from the summer of 1978. But I don't think it will completely go away real soon. Too many people want the instant gratification of walking in a store and picking up merchandise. They also like to see and feel it in person. VR is going to have to keep improving to replace the sensations of feeling the fabric in a shirt or seeing the color of things in person for many people.

How much does a weaker canadian loony figure in to the pain at columbia?  5 years or so ago we were nearly par with them, not so much now.  

16 minutes ago, Milford torgerson said:

How much does a weaker canadian loony figure in to the pain at columbia?  5 years or so ago we were nearly par with them, not so much now.  

It certainly hurts. There is still decent Canadian traffic. The local hotels still do pretty well on a lot of weekends. Once the exchange bottoms out for a little while Canadians seem to adjust and continue coming down to shop. They just don't buy quite as much. But it isn't like it was a few years ago.

Sears and Kmart will be declaring bankruptcy soon, as Eddie Lambert has so mismanaged Sears Holdings from has Miami Beach island.  Vendors don't want anything to do with Sears any more, cause eventually they won't get paid.  Home of Economy should make a plan to buy and move to the Sears Columbia Mall location.  Buy the KMART location and sell furniture there and Ag wares.

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Sears and Kmart will be declaring bankruptcy soon, as Eddie Lambert has so mismanaged Sears Holdings from has Miami Beach island.  Vendors don't want anything to do with Sears any more, cause eventually they won't get paid.  Home of Economy should make a plan to buy and move to the Sears Columbia Mall location.  Buy the KMART location and sell furniture there.

Why would Home of Economy move?  

8 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Bird vs Magic.  Choose your weapon.

All right Magic, show me what you got! :)

Found a pair of black Converse All Stars just like these about 7-8 years ago...must have re-released THEIR Legacy collection.

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I'm sure it has been mentioned on here, but can someone briefly update me on what the deal is with this new 'Turning Point' building? I hope to god it's not just another fitness center because that wouldn't survive a year. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/business/4079658-agcountry-moves-new-grand-forks-office-building

Bets on if Firehouse Subs will last a calendar year? It looks awfully quiet in there night after night already. It looks eerily similar to Quiznos at this point. I knew the instant that sign went up that it was going to be a failure. How do people get business loans approved for stuff like that? Or is it based off franchisee payments to the corporate office, so the owner is the only one screwed in the end?