SiouxSports.com Forum

The Nickel Trophy

Blackheart

Until NDsu fans acknowledge that seven D1 championships is a significant accomplishment, all their bragging about FCS is empty rhetoric.

Any NC at any level is an accomplishment. It's hard to do - if you don't think so how do you explain the drought in NC at UND?

People making the argument that NDSU's FCS championships don't matter are fools. It's the level we play at also.

Bisonville has always been about how meaningless any D1 hockey championship is. Respect a championship for fans of Montana or App St 1000 timrs more, because they return respect.

So would you be more impressed if NDSU won a national title in wrestling? Or if UND managed to win a men's tennis title? Would you be more impressed or excited about these than football title?

I would be way more impressed if NDSU won in wrestling. It's a big accomplishment to win at a lower level, but nowhere winning at the top level. I always felt the same way about UND's championships at a lower level. It's nice, but it just shows you have the best players of the players that aren't good enough to play at the top level.

Not going to lie, very impressed with their football team's accomplishment the last two years. But if they won a national championship in volleyball, baseball, basketball, softball, soccer, track and field, I would rank that up there as a better accomplishment than the football team.

It's kind of like their need to reference "The Big Three" in reference to SDSU, USD and FU - just a way to diss UND and in no way based in reality. Their national championships are admirable - their willingness to bring in problem players, and how they deal with them, to achieve it and subsequent cost to the program's reputation is what tarnishes them.

• Upvote 1

People making the argument that NDSU's FCS championships don't matter are fools. It's the level we play at also.

It's the level und plays at too and I understand that but lets be realistic here.

How many pro sports in the us are there that the NCAA can feed athletes to? Basketball, football, soccer, baseball, hockey, tennis, golf, mma.....I may be missing a few. But these are the sports a pro athlete can make a very decent paycheck in. FBS sends many more athletes into the nfl than fcs does. Athletes on both levels are extremely talented but fbs/bcs is simply a higher level.

I won't belittle the fcs but.....any athlete that can win a national championship at the highest level of competition in the ncaas is an outstanding athlete.

It's kind of like their need to reference "The Big Three" in reference to SDSU, USD and FU - just a way to diss UND and in no way based in reality. Their national championships are admirable - their willingness to bring in problem players, and how they deal with them, to achieve it and subsequent cost to the program's reputation is what tarnishes them.

Yeah you guys have NEVER had any problems with your athletes? Your arrogance is unbelievable. Specially when you have a ex fb player running around gf robbing places. ie KW. I wonder what he needs the money for?

Yeah you guys have NEVER had any problems with your athletes? Your arrogance is unbelievable. Specially when you have a ex fb player running around gf robbing places. ie KW. I wonder what he needs the money for?

He needs the money to pay for Travis Beck's attorney fees.

• Upvote 1

Whether you like it or not, a hockey championship is way bigger than an FCS one. That's why more alumni follow it.

My point isn't that full D1 championships aren't harder or a bigger deal. My point is that fcs football championships are a big deal too. I know that bcs football is the highest level but UND probably won't be a big enough school to ever sustain a bcs level football program so dogging fcs is just plain silly.

• Upvote 4

Ease up Bucko - it's a Sioux Fan site -of course we are going to talk trash when we know there are trolls hanging around to poke. It's just too darn easy to write trashy stuff about FU and your team makes it so easy. Plus this is the place to do it - you are the one that chooses to hover here and correct everything we post. Fan sites are for fun and entertainment.

Would you tell UND'S football team or the Women Basketball team or any non hockey sport at UND that their current Championships they have won or future Championships they might win don't/won't matter because it wasn't won at the highest level. If you do tell them please let me know because I would love to see what they have to say.

Division II

Football Championship SUBDIVISION

I believe that the athletes that compete for these championships are smart enough to know what level they are playing.

Just because you aren't is not my fault.

Whether you like it or not, a hockey championship is way bigger than an FCS one. That's why more alumni follow it.

Absolutely.

It is a bigger deal because the 7 NCAA championships won by the University of North Dakota's men's hockey team were won at the highest level of college sports.

That is fact. That is a reality. It's delusional to think otherwise.

UND Football programs winning a D-II championship was an accomplishment. But, it is what it is.

To be honest, I have always thought that UND, the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences, USD and SDSU should have all moved up to I-AA and joined the Big Sky long, long ago. I kind of thought that by staying at D-II so many years we may have been picking on smaller schools and programs and avoiding where these schools' athletic programs should have been competing all along. I never understood why we stayed D-II for so long.

Absolutely.

It is a bigger deal because the 7 NCAA championships won by the University of North Dakota's men's hockey team were won at the highest level of college sports.

That is fact. That is a reality. It's delusional to think otherwise.

UND Football programs winning a D-II championship was an accomplishment. But, it is what it is.

To be honest, I have always thought that UND, the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences, USD and SDSU should have all moved up to I-AA and joined the Big Sky long, long ago. I kind of thought that by staying at D-II so many years we may have been picking on smaller schools and programs and avoiding where these schools' athletic programs should have been competing all along. I never understood why we stayed D-II for so long.

I agree. I always believed that the state schools stated above should have been FCS since the late 70's when the big split occurred. UND vs. Winona State never did it for me. Once they made the change in 08 I began to pay much more attention.

I agree. I always believed that the state schools stated above should have been FCS since the late 70's when the big split occurred. UND vs. Winona State never did it for me. Once they made the change in 08 I began to pay much more attention.

I also can't believe the arrogance of those vo tech grads from the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences when they brag up their 6 wins over FBS schools they cherry picked over the past few years.

Where were they the past 70+ years when schools like Colorado State University have been competing at the highest level of college sports? At least schools like CSU, Wyoming, Minnesota (Yeah...Minnesota), etc have had the balls to put it out there rather than play the Winona States of college athletics.

Yeah, I'll catch some heat from UND fans here (Could care less about the tractor mechanics...) but, it's the truth.

The fact is the men's hockey program has always had the balls to play at the highest level of college athletics.

So,...

UND 7 The University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences...0

I also can't believe the arrogance of those vo tech grads from the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences when they brag up their 6 wins over FBS schools they cherry picked over the past few years.

Where were they the past 70+ years when schools like Colorado State University have been competing at the highest level of college sports? At least schools like CSU, Wyoming, Minnesota (Yeah...Minnesota), etc have had the balls to put it out there rather than play the Winona States of college athletics.

Well....Minnesota is a B1G school. Of course they were playing the big boys. I find it a bit funny you are smacking on NDSU's FBS wins...thought you wanted NDSU to compete against teams from the highest level?

Well....Minnesota is a B1G school. Of course they were playing the big boys. I find it a bit funny you are smacking on NDSU's FBS wins...thought you wanted NDSU to compete against teams from the highest level?

6 wins?

Big deal.

Compare that to the history of the programs of those schools I mentioned. That's why they laugh at the delusional fans of the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences over at the Kansas State message board.

6 wins....That's nothing.

Now...7 national championships at the highest level of college sports..with a great future of getting more....versus.....zero. (With no hope of ever actually getting one...)

That makes laugh and laugh and laugh! :lol:

NDSU is playing K-State equivalent with UND playing Texas Tech, as both FBS teams lost big name players, so lets see how NDSU does against a real BCS team as UND gave TT a good game being only our second year in DI. I don't think it will be 60-0 but maybe a 24-21 or 35-20 type score ( a win for KSU).

NDSU is playing K-State equivalent with UND playing Texas Tech, as both FBS teams lost big name players, so lets see how NDSU does against a real BCS team as UND gave TT a good game being only our second year in DI. I don't think it will be 60-0 but maybe a 24-21 or 35-20 type score ( a win for KSU).

I see if more like 45-14. Kansas State pulling away in the second half. That is factoring in that Mr. Clean will allow his criminals to play rather than benching them like a program with a morale code should. Either way, it won't matter. Kansas State isn't a pushover like the upper level programs they have been cherry picking.

7 (and counting) > 0 (never to change).

Yeah, I'll catch some heat from UND fans here (Could care less about the tractor mechanics...) but, it's the truth.

The fact is the men's hockey program has always had the balls to play at the highest level of college athletics.

So,...

UND 7 The University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences...0

Not intending to defend NDSU but to support our non-hockey athletes over the years. It gets old hearing people run our other teams down in order to elevate the hockey team. It depends on how you look at things. UND plays at the hightest level of college hockey which is true but:
  • only 59 teams play D1 hockey
  • not all of best pro-hopeful hockey players of college age play college hockey. some play in other leagues in Russia, Canada, etc. You can make the case that NCAA hockey is a 2nd level league when looking a the best in the world.
  • 122 teams play FCS football
  • virtually all pro-hopeful football players play college football. Most in FBS but some in FCS too. FCS is the 2nd highest level that football players can compete at, DII is 3rd highest.

• Upvote 3

Not intending to defend NDSU but to support our non-hockey athletes over the years. It gets old hearing people run our other teams down in order to elevate the hockey team. It depends on how you look at things. UND plays at the hightest level of college hockey which is true but:

• only 59 teams play D1 hockey
  • not all of best pro-hopeful hockey players of college age play college hockey. some play in other leagues in Russia, Canada, etc. You can make the case that NCAA hockey is a 2nd level league when looking a the best in the world.
  • 122 teams play FCS football
  • virtually all pro-hopeful football players play college football. Most in FBS but some in FCS too. FCS is the 2nd highest level that football players can compete at, DII is 3rd highest.

About pro sports...don't go there. Compare the $$$ in the contracts of former UND hockey players versus all pooled $$$ made professionally by the athletes from the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences.

That also makes me laugh and laugh and laugh. :lol:

Now, why is the hockey program elevated over other athletic programs at either UND or the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences? Wait, wait, wait....

Let me answer that if you haven't figured it out!

It's because the level of athletic competition ISN'T EVEN CLOSE... UND hockey is at the highest level and has been for almost 70 years.. Their other programs..and the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences entire athletic department finally jumped in the pool after watching the big boys for years and years and years.. Football at FCS is not the highest level..again... Football Championships SUBDIVISION... It is what it is.

That's not a lie. That's reality. Anything else is just...delusional.

Again,national championships at the University of North Dakota at the highest level of college athletics...7 (and counting) ...and at the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences...ZERO...with no real hope of even attaining one...