SiouxSports.com Forum

The Nickel Trophy

Blackheart

On 4/28/2017 at 10:38 AM, Nodak78 said:

My apologies.  in jest but poor taste.

a committee of lettermen and current players from both UND and NDSU to come up with 3 choices for a trophy and design.  To be voted on by student body of both Universities. 

Hell NO, the student body came up with JUNK like How About We Keep Sioux - after that disaster, you don't get a second chance at anything.

17 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Hell NO, the student body came up with JUNK like How About We Keep Sioux - after that disaster, you don't get a second chance at anything.

That is a quote from April 2017.  No idea what is about.  But glad you had the time to sift through all those threads.:glare:

27 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

That is a quote from April 2017.  No idea what is about.  But glad you had the time to sift through all those threads.:glare:

Actually, I didn't...  someone else posted on this thread to put it on the main page.  I just happened to be reading that single page and simply provided a comment.  Not sure why this caused you problems... but peace.

41 minutes ago, fightingsioux08 said:

I thought I read online that UND will have this at the alerus for the first 3 football games this year....did anyone see it at the first game? 

I want to take a picture in front of it and am hoping to see it at one of the games at the alerus

The Nickel was at the Hawks' Nest for the MVSU game. Will also be there this weekend for Homecoming.

• Upvote 1

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4505865-und-ndsu-trophy-continues-field-conflict-while-dakota-marker-sdsu-settled

Does anyone else feel we should be playing for this again? Atleast once we’re in the same conference again. To me I don’t care that that there is a Indian head on one side. It’s spirit and tradition to me is a lot stronger than any nickname. Maybe I’m in the minority on this one. 

29 minutes ago, bang said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4505865-und-ndsu-trophy-continues-field-conflict-while-dakota-marker-sdsu-settled

Does anyone else feel we should be playing for this again? Atleast once we’re in the same conference again. To me I don’t care that that there is a Indian head on one side. It’s spirit and tradition to me is a lot stronger than any nickname. Maybe I’m in the minority on this one. 

Ron His Horse Is Foundered would probably get his loin cloth in a wad. 

1 hour ago, bang said:

No way this would ever happen - I can just picture a small group protesting outside the Alerus on game day. They can come up with a new trophy to play for (just don't hire a consultant firm from the east coast to come up with it).

Put it in the ND Historical Society Museum in Bismarck in  a display that shows the history of the game results so everyone can see who won the most games and who won the final game ;). They could have it in a revolving frame so either side can be seen. 

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

No way this would ever happen - I can just picture a small group protesting outside the Alerus on game day. They can come up with a new trophy to play for (just don't hire a consultant firm from the east coast to come up with it).

Put it in the ND Historical Society Museum in Bismarck in  a display that shows the history of the game results so everyone can see who won the most games and who won the final game ;). They could have it in a revolving frame so either side can be seen. 

Not only that, but I’d work with USD too to come up something with them.  Renew both trophy games by 2020.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:08 AM, CMSioux said:

the bison are such whiners. If they wanted it they could have scheduled a home and home series with UND and we may have played for it.

54 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

the bison are such whiners. If they wanted it they could have scheduled a home and home series with UND and we may have played for it.

Or you could have kept playing us and this never would have been an issue. Remember we didnt call the series off.

14 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Or you could have kept playing us and this never would have been an issue. Remember we didnt call the series off.

2005 FCS NDSU at DII UND?

2007 FCS NDSU at DII UND?

2009 FCS NDSU at DI transfer UND?

yeah that would’ve happen. To this date you guys don’t like to give up a home game to play a non FBS team.

• Upvote 2

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:49 AM, bang said:

I would  think UND would not want to open that can of worms. My suggestion is that the real nickel be on display in Bismarck and that the new traveling trophy be "The Wooden Nickel" with appropriate imagery on each side.  

On 9/29/2018 at 7:49 AM, bang said:

Agree, starting in 2020 once in the same conference this should be played for every year.  Anything new will suck.  The Indian head has historical significance.  NCAA got there wish we are not longer the Sioux.   UND can keep other things that have Historical Significance. no reason not to continue playing for nickel trophy.