SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL expanding to Seattle in 2014?

MafiaMan

Seattle has a number of billionaires, so a billion bucks for a team isn't too much to ask. But the NBA might just add two teams in Europe (like London, Paris, or Barcelona) where they can make bigger bucks. Seattle is the most lucrative empty NBA market in the US left.

Fabulous...the World League of American Basketball.

vintage-kansas-city-scouts-road-jersey-4.gif

Is this the one?

Seattle has so many Costco, Amazon, Microsoft, and Boeing millionaires, the city is emerald in more ways than one.

that became the Colorado Rockies...(Rockie Hockey!), then the New Jersey Devils.

Like you guys didn't know... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I would rename ALL of the divisions. The Atlantic would become the Patrick, the Metropolitan would become the Adams, the Central would become the Norris, and the Pacific would become the Smythe.

I second that motion!

Florida to Seattle...make it happen, Bettman!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-takes-first-step-towards-possible-expansion-team-in--unique-market--las-vegas-031915763-nhl.html

Looks like the NHL will expand to Las Vegas if enough season tickets are sold to prove Vegas is a viable market.

Why not? It'd be the only pro game in town. I think the NHL may have had better success with southern expansion had it not picked cities already saturated with pro sports teams (especially Miami).

Las Vegas expansion team...Seattle expansion team...Florida Panthers move to Quebec City or even Hartford...NHL gold.

Why not? It'd be the only pro game in town. I think the NHL may have had better success with southern expansion had it not picked cities already saturated with pro sports teams (especially Miami).

Las Vegas expansion team...Seattle expansion team...Florida Panthers move to Quebec City or even Hartford...NHL gold.

A rumor this summer had the NHL adding four teams:  Las Vegas, Seattle, Quebec, and a second Toronto team that would play in the west.   The conferences would have even numbers, and the owner would divide at least $2 bill among them. 

A rumor this summer had the NHL adding four teams: Las Vegas, Seattle, Quebec, and a second Toronto team that would play in the west. The conferences would have even numbers, and the owner would divide at least $2 bill among them.

Two teams in the west would even things up. I think the east plan should be to simply move Florida to Quebec City. Oh, and Carolina can head back to Hartford, too.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure what to make of this. Maybe just grandstanding by the mayor since A) the city council needs to approve the modification to the MOU, which isn't too likely, and B) Chris Hansen has no interest in hockey and probably isn't likely to build an arena without an NBA team in his pocket.

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2717185/Next-step-toward-Seattle-basketball-hockey-arena-unveiled

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-takes-first-step-towards-possible-expansion-team-in--unique-market--las-vegas-031915763-nhl.html

Looks like the NHL will expand to Las Vegas if enough season tickets are sold to prove Vegas is a viable market.

Vegas would be an interesting experiment, I'd like to see how many people would add a hockey game to their itinerary on a Vegas trip in winter.

Awesome looks like this is really going to happen! Id expect seattle to pull the trigger and agree to build and arena soon or the NHL may choose another spot in tukwila or Bellevue. Any of them would be fine with me. Best of all this isn't dependant on an nba team:)