SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-2014 Season

SWSiouxMN

There is a lot I like about this team right now:

1) Szabla and Knox are massive upgrades over Williams and Mills: has given stability at the guard position and provide offensive punch at a key times. Szabla is still wild at times as a freshman. Knox has been very steady and these girls will continue to grow as the years progress. By having a bit more of an threat at the point with legitament shooters and drivers that can make free throws!, it makes a difference.

2) Mia: If there was such a thing as a most improved player in conference, she would be near or at the top of the leaderboard. She has a motor that just doesn't quit and works to get every single rebound (tied for 24th in the nation!). The Canadian scrimmages really helped her expand her range to where she is comfortable in taking shot from outside. Given her size, if she can keep hitting those shot, she will be that much more dangerous

3) Brewster and the coaching staff: I'll admit that after last season I had some revisions on coach Brew. He has improved has a head coach from year 1 to year 2. I like his coaching moves to keep Wall and Evers fresh and prevent them from getting hurt. He has this team working very hard. Hopefully he can continue to improve and get this team to improve as well.

4) Having Wall and Evers healthy have been a nice jolt for this team, Wall looks like the girl from 2 years ago and Evers has once again shown improvement in her game. Also pretty much blocking everything in their paths

5) This team has heart, they are not afraid to get on the floor, fight for the ball, plays hard nose pressure D, does every little thing right. I'll be the first to admit we don't have the greatest talent in the Sky, but giving 110% every possession, every game can easily make up for lack of talent. I tip that to the coaching staff as well.

6) Buck proves why she is a star today, she didn't have her best night shooting but she did everything else amazing. She didn't stop playing and shooting either. Im hoping that this game was just an fluke, she has the capability of going off for 30 or more.

But to be the wet blanket, I have 2 concerns going forward

1) Outside shooting: We need girls that can hit from 3, that is the one big thing we are missing right now. Buck can a proven track record in this, but outside or her we don't have a developed outside shooter. Dillion is hurt right now, so is Lauck and Houdek. I would actually like to see Mia shoot a little more outside, because she can hit that shot consistently. Dyer is going to be huge going forward, if she can build off her 2nd half today this team will take a couple more steps to being a legit threat in the conference

2) Injuries: Keeping these girls healthy will be so important, especially with Wall and Evers. There are not a lot of players that can handle both of these two. Hopefully Dillion at some point can come back because she can help stretch the floor from 3.

Huge weekend coming up at Weber and ISU. 2 games that can be had, it would be nice to have them come back either at 4-1 or 5-0 and have 2 big games against the Montana schools.

The women's team might make the NCAA tournament before the men.

I think the Betty would be electric if they were to host the BSC tourny.....I was at the Hyslop for the 1997 NCAA title game and that place was deafening. I think the Betty would be the same!

• Upvote 1

If they can keep Evers and Wall healthy, this team can go far. I hope that Dyer can keep getting better and better as the season, she can be a huge asset for the 2nd unit in creating her shot and hitting from distance.

Take care of an improved Weber squad tomorrow and get by far one of the bigger women's bball games in UND's D-1 history at the Betty in Montana and Montana State.

Anyone also been paying attention to Sac State? You want to talk about Gunners? My goodness!!!!

We are rated 59 in the country on the last ncaa update. Should have a new update tomorrow.

I bet we get to 55 after the weekend sweep!!!

All hail Brewster

Brewster for president!

I was also at the 97 games and they were a rockin!

Maybe we could even get an at large bid if we keep winning...Sac State games will be HUGE

We are rated 59 in the country on the last ncaa update. Should have a new update tomorrow.

I bet we get to 55 after the weekend sweep!!!

All hail Brewster

Brewster for president!

I was also at the 97 games and they were a rockin!

Maybe we could even get an at large bid if we keep winning...Sac State games will be HUGE

At-large bid? Highly unlikely. But I like your thinking. :)

This team works hard and hustles and that makes them fun to watch. Brewster has them playing really well right now.

Definitely interesting to see how well this team is playing after the debacle that was last season. I have to say that I wasn't high on Brewster after his first year but he's starting to make me believe with how he has the girls performing right now.

Highly sought after coach, successful whereever he coached previously, instrumental in UND's success while he was here as an assistant - but already last year some on here were questioning the hire.

I like what was shared on last week's GF Herald Chat Room - "Can we stop asking if a UND coach is on the hot seat after every loss".

Highly sought after coach, successful whereever he coached previously, instrumental in UND's success while he was here as an assistant - but already last year some on here were questioning the hire.

I like what was shared on last week's GF Herald Chat Room - "Can we stop asking if a UND coach is on the hot seat after every loss".

That would be a breath of fresh air.

• Upvote 1

I know this is the women's basketball thread but Jones deserves to be on the hot seat if he doesn't turn things around quickly. This is a team that was picked #2 by the coaches and #3 by the media I believe.