SiouxSports.com Forum

Jocelyne and Monique

choyt3

Saw the report on several local TV stations here in MSP and in the Pioneer Press...embarrassing that in every single case, they were referred to as "former Gopher players...". Simply embarrassing to be reported as such.

Why is that embarrassing? They are former Gophers.

Why is that embarrassing? They are former Gophers.

Because the bulk of the success of their career was with North Dakota, that's why. Of course, given local media here, if you spend 15 minutes with the Twins, Timberwolves, Wild, Vikings, or Gophers, you're 'former insert-team-name-here' status automatically.

• Upvote 2

Because the bulk of the success of their career was with North Dakota, that's why. Of course, given local media here, if you spend 15 minutes with the Twins, Timberwolves, Wild, Vikings, or Gophers, you're 'former insert-team-name-here' status automatically.

Having not read the article, I am assuming they made reference only to the Gophers as their former college team. Well, that would, of course, be wrong. It would have been more appropriate to say, "Former Gopher players that finished their college careers with North Dakota".

Of course, I would have written, "Former Rodent players that saw the error of their ways, rejected that program and helped lead the University of North Dakota to a promising future in women's college hockey". But, I am a bit biased.

Having not read the article, I am assuming they made reference only to the Gophers as their former college team. Well, that would, of course, be wrong. It would have been more appropriate to say, "Former Gopher players that finished their college careers with North Dakota".

Of course, I would have written, "Former Rodent players that saw the error of their ways, rejected that program and helped lead the University of North Dakota to a promising future in women's college hockey". But, I am a bit biased.

http://www.startribu.../212772541.html

"Jocelyne and Monique Lamoureux, who played one season for the Gophers before transferring to North Dakota, also made the team."

Not sure what's so "emabarrssing" about the local paper simply noting they played at the U for a year.

I look at it this way: Would you be more likely to refer to Ray Bourque as "former Avalanche player" or "former Boston Bruin"?

Depends on where you are writing an article or referring to him. If you are in Colorado, you sure will refer to him as a former Avalanche player.

"Jocelyne and Monique Lamoureux, who played one season for the Gophers before transferring to North Dakota, also made the team."

Not sure what's so "emabarrssing" about the local paper simply noting they played at the U for a year.

That's one article...Mark Rosen was beaming on his sports report the other night talking about all the Gophers...no mention of North Dakota at all.

I shouldn't be surprised...Mark also is a big lobbyist for MLB pitcher Jack Morris to go into the Hall of Fame wearing the Twins "M" cap, he of the 18-12 regular season record and World Series title in 1991 with Minnesota. Gimme a break.

Honestly, I don't see a problem with it.

(Now, have to wash my hands after agreeing with a Gopher fan...)

That's one article...Mark Rosen was beaming on his sports report the other night talking about all the Gophers...no mention of North Dakota at all.

I shouldn't be surprised...Mark also is a big lobbyist for MLB pitcher Jack Morris to go into the Hall of Fame wearing the Twins "M" cap, he of the 18-12 regular season record and World Series title in 1991 with Minnesota. Gimme a break.

Morris is a Tiger. Cool that he helped the Twins, but he's a Tiger.

Saw the report on several local TV stations here in MSP and in the Pioneer Press...embarrassing that in every single case, they were referred to as "former Gopher players...". Simply embarrassing to be reported as such.

It is hard to imagine that Twin City news outlets would tie in a local angle like that...Embarrassing indeed.

The East and West coasts would say Minneapolis and St Paul is fly-over country.

It is hard to imagine that Twin City news outlets would tie in a local angle like that...Embarrassing indeed.

Like I said, it's just like Mark Rosen thinking that Jack Morris would go into the MLB HOF as a Minnesota Twin...

77% of Jocelyn's career points were produced at UND...71% of Monique's...I've got to think that would qualify them mostly as "former Sioux players," even in the TC media...

If Torii Hunter retires after this season, would you be more likely to refer to him as 'former Twin' or 'former Tiger'? I know technically he's both, but I guess I tend to identify players with the teams they spent the bulk of their career with.

• Upvote 1

Like I said, it's just like Mark Rosen thinking that Jack Morris would go into the MLB HOF as a Minnesota Twin...

77% of Jocelyn's career points were produced at UND...71% of Monique's...I've got to think that would qualify them mostly as "former Sioux players," even in the TC media...

If Torii Hunter retires after this season, would you be more likely to refer to him as 'former Twin' or 'former Tiger'? I know technically he's both, but I guess I tend to identify players with the teams they spent the bulk of their career with.

Sometimes, though it is the team the have the most success with that defines with who they wish to be remembered. Gary Zimmerman, for example, played more years with the Vikings, but chose to be remembered as a Bronco for induction to the Hall of Fame.

However, with these set of twins, no doubt they would want to be remembered as UND (Sioux!) players.

Sometimes, though it is the team the have the most success with that defines with who they wish to be remembered. Gary Zimmerman, for example, played more years with the Vikings, but chose to be remembered as a Bronco for induction to the Hall of Fame.

However, with these set of twins, no doubt they would want to be remembered as UND (Sioux!) players.

He played 7 years in Minnesota and 5 in Denver. And won a Super Bowl in Denver. That's oranges to apples.

For you old timers out there...Carlton Fisk played more games for the White Sox than the Red Sox...Hall of Fame plaque? Boston Red Sox...maybe that home run he hit in game 6 of the 75 world series had something to do with it...

For you old timers out there...Carlton Fisk played more games for the White Sox than the Red Sox...Hall of Fame plaque? Boston Red Sox...maybe that home run he hit in game 6 of the 75 world series had something to do with it...

That's a great example of a signature moment playing with your mind. Good one, though. I think most old-timers like to think of Carlton Fisk as a Red Sox player. Let's try this, though...

"Congratulations to former Philadelphia Phillie Ryne Sandberg on his induction into the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame..."

"Former Florida Marlin Mike Piazza was in Miami today..."

That's a great example of a signature moment playing with your mind. Good one, though. I think most old-timers like to think of Carlton Fisk as a Red Sox player. Let's try this, though...

"Congratulations to former Philadelphia Phillie Ryne Sandberg on his induction into the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame..."

"Former Florida Marlin Mike Piazza was in Miami today..."

As someone who used to work in the vile media ( a long time ago, albeit), let me try to inject a little perspective here, for what it's worth: It really has nothing to do with what a player did or didn't do when he/she was with a particular team that plays a role in how a local media source will identify them. Local media will, and always have tried to, well, "localize" stories or elements of stories. Thus, it is only natural for a Minnesota media outlet to identify the Lammy twins with something local that their publics can appreciate.

It's like when the Herald writes about Jimmy Kliensasser. He is always ID'd as a "former UND star." But in the Twin Cities, he would be described as "former Viking Jimmy Kleinsasser."

In the Jamestown Sun, Darin Erstad would be "Jamestown native and former Blue Jay Darin Erstad;" in Lincoln, Neb., he would be "former Husker baseball and football star Darin Erstad" or "current Husker head baseball coach Darin Erstad;" and in Anaheim, well, you get the picture.

Hope this helps.

As someone who used to work in the vile media ( a long time ago, albeit), let me try to inject a little perspective here, for what it's worth: It really has nothing to do with what a player did or didn't do when he/she was with a particular team that plays a role in how a local media source will identify them. Local media will, and always have tried to, well, "localize" stories or elements of stories. Thus, it is only natural for a Minnesota media outlet to identify the Lammy twins with something local that their publics can appreciate.

It's like when the Herald writes about Jimmy Kliensasser. He is always ID'd as a "former UND star." But in the Twin Cities, he would be described as "former Viking Jimmy Kleinsasser."

In the Jamestown Sun, Darin Erstad would be "Jamestown native and former Blue Jay Darin Erstad;" in Lincoln, Neb., he would be "former Husker baseball and football star Darin Erstad" or "current Husker head baseball coach Darin Erstad;" and in Anaheim, well, you get the picture.

Hope this helps.

While I understand the local homer perspective, I still think a guy like Mark Rosen could have said something to the effect of "There are six current or former Gopher players on the Olympic roster as well as Jocelyne and Monique Lamoureux, who spent a year here at the 'U' before transferring to North Dakota for the remainder of their respective careers." I would have been happy with that.

Hope this helps.

Exactly. It makes perfect sense for the Twin Cities media to mention they played at the U for a year as they ARE former Gophers. There's nothing strange about it and certainly nothing "embarrassing" about it either.