SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky News

bincitysioux

http://www.grandfork...e-participation

UND SPORTS: Reason for optimism in upcoming Big Sky conference participation

“I have no question in my mind that they will do what they need to do to get there,” Fullerton said. “That’s the kind of institution they are. They’re the lead institution of the state. They’ll get there. I have great faith that that is true.”

:ohmy:

Why do I hear the meltdown about to go on at BV.

Winning Percentage-overall (2013-14)

1. Big 10 .535

2. HE .527

3. NCHC, ECAC .506

5. WCHA .470

6. AH .442

Records can be misleading when 1 or 2 conferences feed on the Atlantic Hockey Conference.

1. Hockey East

2. ECAC

3. NCHC

4. Big Ten

5. WCHA

6. AH

That is how they shook out last year. I think in the near future, HE and the NCHC will fight for supremacy, but I have to agree with Bulk Truck on his point as Minnesota, Bucky, and Michigan aren't going anywhere and Penn State is committed to putting a quality team on the ice. Ohio State will never be a hockey school but if the Blue jackets maintain some success their could be a residual effect down the road and as it is now they aren't terrible and they aren't great. Sparty is a mess right now. The biggest impact on college hockey the Big 10 could have is if it adds additional hockey members(Nebraska?, Northwestern?, Illinois?, Indiana? Maryland?, Rutgers?)...if 3 years down the road the Big 10 hasn't added any additional teams the move to form a conference will have been terrible for college hockey in general. I think if a couple Big 10 teams jump you could see conference expansion in other areas as well(Texas, Arizona State, Iowa State, FGCU to name a few).

Records can be misleading when 1 or 2 conferences feed on the Atlantic Hockey Conference.

1. Hockey East

2. ECAC

3. NCHC

4. Big Ten

5. WCHA

6. AH

That is how they shook out last year. I think in the near future, HE and the NCHC will fight for supremacy, but I have to agree with Bulk Truck on his point as Minnesota, Bucky, and Michigan aren't going anywhere and Penn State is committed to putting a quality team on the ice. Ohio State will never be a hockey school but if the Blue jackets maintain some success their could be a residual effect down the road and as it is now they aren't terrible and they aren't great. Sparty is a mess right now. The biggest impact on college hockey the Big 10 could have is if it adds additional hockey members(Nebraska?, Northwestern?, Illinois?, Indiana? Maryland?, Rutgers?)...if 3 years down the road the Big 10 hasn't added any additional teams the move to form a conference will have been terrible for college hockey in general. I think if a couple Big 10 teams jump you could see conference expansion in other areas as well(Texas, Arizona State, Iowa State, FGCU to name a few).

Nebraska-Omaha gave up two relatively successful sports in football and wrestling to add hockey. It is highly unlikely that Nebraska-Lincoln will add hockey as a Big 10 member, but nobody knows for sure.

Nebraska-Omaha gave up two relatively successful sports in football and wrestling to add hockey. It is highly unlikely that Nebraska-Lincoln will add hockey as a Big 10 member, but nobody knows for sure.

That's factually incorrect, because UNO had hockey nearly 20 years before going DI. UNO actually had to add men's soccer to satisfy the Summit, and dropped wrestling and football because of the costs and because the Summit does not sponsor those sports.

The Cornhuskers new arena was built with ice capabilty, so its not highly unlikely.

I think if a couple Big 10 teams jump you could see conference expansion in other areas as well(Texas, Arizona State, Iowa State, FGCU to name a few).

Do see FGCU starting hockey? I know when they moved up to DI, there was talk. An arena is ;pretty close to campus so its doable, but would the WCHA take them?

That's factually incorrect, because UNO had hockey nearly 20 years before going DI. UNO actually had to add men's soccer to satisfy the Summit, and dropped wrestling and football because of the costs and because the Summit does not sponsor those sports.

The Cornhuskers new arena was built with ice capabilty, so its not highly unlikely.

Actually the hockey program did start in 1997. The recent elimination of football and wrestling was as a result of UNO's decision to move up to D-1 in all other sports. The SL, MVFC, BSC, WAC, WWC, NCHC are all a step down from premier leagues in D-1. That is reality. The University of Nebraska Lincoln is the Big Dog on the Porch and what they do will drive the bus. It is highly unlikely, primarily because of Title IX, that another two hockey programs will magically spring up at UNL. :)

If Brian Faison was truly concerned about efficiency and keeping costs down, UND's baseball and swimming and diving would be in the SL instead of an equally dysfunctional but more expensive to travel to WAC.

Douple didn't respond to UND's request to join the SL in baseball so UND found a conference that wanted them. I would think Douple and Kelley still have bad blood between them.

IMO Faison not Kelley is the wild card on this one. :)

Okay, but that doesn't address the fact that we tried to get into the Summit for baseball, but no response from them. Then we get into the WAC and all of a sudden the talking points shift. Doesn't make sense.

Also, NCHC is a premier league in the one sport they play. The creation of the Big 10 Hockey created an atmosphere where the lower budget schools in the WCHA had the voting power and UND and DU decided to make a proactive move and the addition of Miami and Western was solid IMHO.

Also, if NCHC wasn't legit, Notre Dame wouldn't have taken months to decide between NCHC and HE.

• Upvote 1

Okay, but that doesn't address the fact that we tried to get into the Summit for baseball, but no response from them. Then we get into the WAC and all of a sudden the talking points shift. Doesn't make sense.

Also, NCHC is a premier league in the one sport they play. The creation of the Big 10 Hockey created an atmosphere where the lower budget schools in the WCHA had the voting power and UND and DU decided to make a proactive move and the addition of Miami and Western was solid IMHO.

Also, if NCHC wasn't legit, Notre Dame wouldn't have taken months to decide between NCHC and HE.

Dream on! Minnesota and Wisconsin are UND's real rivals. The NCHC is good hockey, but it is a one shot wonder and the Big 10 will ultimately surpass many if not all hockey conferences eventually. :whistling: :whistling:

You know nothing about hockey. Nchc has legit powers in denvee, und, and Miami. Cc is no sloutch, SCSU made it to the frozen four last year, uno is building an arena bigger than Penn state, and umd recently won a natty and has a new arena as well.

• Upvote 3

You know nothing about hockey. Nchc has legit powers in denvee, und, and Miami. Cc is no sloutch, SCSU made it to the frozen four last year, uno is building an arena bigger than Penn state, and umd recently won a natty and has a new arena as well.

You might be right, but it is my opinion that you are not! Please work on your sentence structure, punctuation to some extent, spelling and capitalization first and then bellyache some more later! :)

You might be right, but it is my opinion that you are not! Please work on your sentence structure, punctuation to some extent, spelling and capitalization first and then bellyache some more later! :)

Dream on! Minnesota and Wisconsin are UND's real rivals. The NCHC is good hockey, but it a shot wonder and the Big 10 will ultimately surpass many if not all hockey conferences eventually. :whistling: :whistling:

How does that go? Something, something, glass houses?

• Upvote 1

"I can't refute anything you say, so I'm going to make fun of your message board grammar."

• Upvote 1

Get a life. Sorry for providing facts that prove how clueless you are. I am typing from a phone so you can deal with the punctuation... you clearly understood what I had to say. But hey, that's all you got so whatever

"I can't refute anything you say, so I'm going to make fun of your message board grammar."

That's the teacher/coach in me. We'll do it until we get it right. That's actually a philosophy I learned from the likes of Tom Clifford, Ron Erhardt, Gene Murphy, Ev Kjelbertson, Jerry Olson, Joe Chapman, Roger Thomas, and Denis Isrow!

Dream on! Minnesota and Wisconsin are UND's real rivals. The NCHC is good hockey, but it is a shot wonder and the Big 10 will ultimately surpass many if not all hockey conferences eventually. :whistling: :whistling:

That's the teacher/coach in me. We'll do it until we get it right. That's actually a philosophy I learned from the likes of Tom Clifford, Ron Erhardt, Gene Murphy, Ev Kjelbertson, Jerry Olson, Joe Chapman, Roger Thomas, and Denis Isrow!

Then try again on your original comment, it still doesn't make sense.