SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky News

bincitysioux

Talk about butthurt at being rejected by the Big Sky. Those numbskulls still are hoping we get kicked out of the BSC as some sort of poetic justice for rejecting NDSU.

http://www.bisonvill...ngs-in-GF/page2

Strange Tony hasn't thrown a party thread for Ryan Bakken's retirement. BV couldn't wrap thair noggins around that Bakken was no longer a sportswriter, but someone who wrote satire. If you joke about NDSU, its always taken seriously down in BV and it is taken to heart like a crime against the state. Ryan Bakken is equivalent to Osama down there.

Just confirmation that NDSU would still prefer to be in the Big Sky, despite all their protestations to the contrary. :)

• Upvote 3

Talk about butthurt at being rejected by the Big Sky. Those numbskulls still are hoping we get kicked out of the BSC as some sort of poetic justice for rejecting NDSU.

http://www.bisonvill...ngs-in-GF/page2

Strange Tony hasn't thrown a party thread for Ryan Bakken's retirement. BV couldn't wrap thair noggins around that Bakken was no longer a sportswriter, but someone who wrote satire. If you joke about NDSU, its always taken seriously down in BV and it is taken to heart like a crime against the state. Ryan Bakken is equivalent to Osama down there.

I just bit on that link. Proud to say only my third time ever reading that site. The butthurt is indeed strong over there. Pathetic really.

So B.D can you share the infactuation with the Big Sky and the need to have a Big Sky conference meeting thread at BV - other than the ongoing need to feel good by putting UND down. Do you think there would ever be a MVFC Meeting thread in Sioux Sports?

It's great that the BSC is having their annual meeting at UND so that, amongst other things, they can see what fantastic facilities we have (and will have). In a way, it would have been nice to have had the meetings at UND next year so that they could have seen the IPF nearly finished and the new $130 million (?) Medical School under construction.

I think the lurkers need to see this again.

According to bison and jack fans, the Big Sky can't wait to get rid of UND. But according to the Big Sky's own documents, the Big Sky considers Montana, Montana State, and UND to be the three key schools in the conference. Idaho's own acceptance is dependent on those three still being members, otherwise Idaho can back out of joining at no cost:

• Upvote 1

I think the lurkers need to see this again.

We are THE flagship university in North Dakota. Leaders come from UND.

They are the support school. That's okay. The world needs ditchdiggers too.

I'm still not sure about third rate salespeople though...

Per Tom Miller's Twitter:

Just spoke with Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton, who says the league will explore predetermined sites for league basketball tourneys

The next step is a formal proposal to league presidents. Fullerton's biggest concern is to keep championship game attendance at decent mark

Hopefully Fullerton can talk the Presidents out of it.....

The pro is you can plan for it better, the con is it makes the regular season less special. I would rather have it at the winner of the regular season champ.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2014/6/4/MBB_0604140741.aspx

"While our current format often leads to strong attendance and does a great job of protecting our top team, we also realize it has become problematic for many reasons,'' Fullerton said. "Our school administrators and coaches have raised valid concerns, including travel costs, travel logistics, student-athlete welfare, and fan experience. We need to continue to have discussions regarding how many teams will qualify, and if we move to a predetermined site, where that will be and if the location will be the same for the men and the women."

The MVFC, BSC, SL, WWC, WAC, and sadly the NCHC are not going to be premier D-1 conferences no matter how many ways anyone attempts to explain, rationalize, or justify their existence. That is IMO a fact of life, AAA baseball, the minor leagues, or whatever term someone cares to use.

The MVFC, BSC, SL, WWC, WAC, and sadly the NCHC are not going to be premier D-1 conferences no matter how many ways anyone attempts to explain, rationalize, or justify their existence. That is IMO a fact of life, AAA baseball, the minor leagues, or whatever term someone cares to use.

Thanks for the breaking news. We can all adjust are hopes now.

Winning Percentage-overall (2013-14)

1. Big 10 .535

2. HE .527

3. NCHC, ECAC .506

5. WCHA .470

6. AH .442

You're basing the legitimacy of a conference on one season? The NCHC has two of the top five programs of all time... look at the programs at each member institution and tell me the conference is on par with the ECAC, please...

You're basing the legitimacy of a conference on one season? The NCHC has two of the top five programs of all time... look at the programs at each member institution and tell me the conference is on par with the ECAC, please...

The Big 10 has only 6 members and the NCHC has 8 so numbers aren't exact "science" in determining which conference is better. I would say its pretty even with the top 3 (or 4). .029 separates them. NCHC had 3 playoff teams, Big 10 had 2, HE had 4. But IMO the NCHC is one of the premier conferences in DI hockey.

The Big 10 has only 6 members and the NCHC has 8 so numbers aren't exact "science" in determining which conference is better. I would say its pretty even with the top 3 (or 4). .029 separates them. NCHC had 3 playoff teams, Big 10 had 2, HE had 4. But IMO the NCHC is one of the premier conferences in DI hockey.

Gotcha, we're on the same page.

Like it or not, the Big 10 hockey conference has significant upside potential.It has high profile schools, ample money to fund the programs, it has at least 4 programs with strong traditions and will only get stronger IMO as time goes on.

I think the Big 10 will be good for college hockey in the long run. Success there could prompt larger schools in the west to add hockey down the road and the NCHC would be the logical landing spot for any large school. Their downfall is only having six schools, obviously.

With the initiation of hockey at Penn State, the Big 10 now had enough teams to form their own hockey conference under the umbrella of the Big 10. Six teams were needed to obtain an automatic qualifier for post season play. Hockey is one of a limited few of major sports in the Big 10 where only six out of the now 14 schools participate. There may be some growth here and it will be in large part be driven by the financial resources of the conference in general. Hockey is a great sport, but it is not cheap and Title IX immediately comes into play. There are schools in the Big 10 that have a rich hockey tradition very similar to UND. How that tradition will impact expansion to the other 8 schools remains to be seen.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-sports-reason-optimism-upcoming-big-sky-conference-participation

UND SPORTS: Reason for optimism in upcoming Big Sky conference participation

“I have no question in my mind that they will do what they need to do to get there,” Fullerton said. “That’s the kind of institution they are. They’re the lead institution of the state. They’ll get there. I have great faith that that is true.”

:ohmy:

• Upvote 2