SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-2014 Season

SWSiouxMN

The team actually looks a bit better as a whole this year. Missing the obvious talent of Joc and Mo, but the passing is better, the team runs 3 lines consistently and works in the 4th, and has scoring potential on the 3 lines. Also better defensively. Hirschy and Krzyzaniak are the real deal and don't play like freshmen.

The real test of where this team is at will be after they have played a series against Wisconsin and Minnesota. 2-1-1 against UMD and Ohio State is decent but those were home games and anything done against Lindenwood...Well, they out-shot them 126-25 in the two games so that speaks volumes about the level of competition that series was.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be honest, I did not expect this start from the team. I thought there would be a bit of a struggle but it just seems to be picking up where the team left off last year. Now of course they still need to be challenged (the U series will do just that) and see where this team really is.

I'll be honest, I did not expect this start from the team. I thought there would be a bit of a struggle but it just seems to be picking up where the team left off last year. Now of course they still need to be challenged (the U series will do just that) and see where this team really is.

Well it is several things.......their depth, the goal-tending and the freshman are very dynamic.....especially on defense. Great recruiting by Idalski and Co.

Well it is several things.......their depth, the goal-tending and the freshman are very dynamic.....especially on defense. Great recruiting by Idalski and Co.

The Lamoreaux twins didn't get an NCAA title, but they gave this program instant credibility when it had none. That helped in recruiting and helped speed up Idalski's rebuilding timetable. Now it's time to knock Minnestoa off their pedestal. I am sick and stinking tired of seeing their smiling mugs on the front of the Star Tribune sports page. :angry: Putting a stop to this undefeated streak of theirs is a good first step to putting them back in their places. Beating them in the NCAA tournament will be the next step.

The Lamoreaux twins didn't get an NCAA title, but they gave this program instant credibility when it had none. That helped in recruiting and helped speed up Idalski's rebuilding timetable. Now it's time to knock Minnestoa off their pedestal. I am sick and stinking tired of seeing their smiling mugs on the front of the Star Tribune sports page. :angry: Putting a stop to this undefeated streak of theirs is a good first step to putting them back in their places. Beating them in the NCAA tournament will be the next step.

Great post! I totally agree!

St Cloud gets their shot first but most likely UND will have as good a shot as Wisconsin had earlier in the year to end the streak. Wisconsin did what no one else has been able to do to Miinnesota and that is to apply some sustained forecheck pressure on the Gophers defense. That is where they are most vunerable. There is a bit of risk in that however as Minnesota is at it's best in a up-tempo game. Not many teams have the speed to keep up but it is better for UND to try this approach rather than lay back and play defensively.

...............also I would add that it took Idalski to get here for the Lamoreaux twins to come. I may be wrong but that is my best guess.

...............also I would add that it took Idalski to get here for the Lamoreaux twins to come. I may be wrong but that is my best guess.

You are correct about that. The reason they ever committed to Minnesota in the first place is because Shantel Rivard was the head coach and the program was a train wreck. Then Idalski took over and they transferred. Coincidence? Nope, I don't think so either.

You are correct about that. The reason they ever committed to Minnesota in the first place is because Shantel Rivard was the head coach and the program was a train wreck. Then Idalski took over and they transferred. Coincidence? Nope, I don't think so either.

True story:

I'm playing outdoor hockey at Agassiz with some dorm buddies. Some UND women's hockey players (Rivard Era) show up and we have ourselves a scrimmage, which of course the women's team had to play with each other. Now I'm a former goalie (not a great skater) and my other dorm buddies didn't have amazing high school careers.....but we just killed them. I mean they didn't have a chance, and these were DI hockey players?

Went to one game during the Rivard era and couldn't watch. Sloppy, no discipline, and just no format to the way they played. Idalski has done a helluva job turning things around.

The UND women have been the closest to beating them during the streak. I'm convinced that without their all world goaltender last year, UND would have beaten them last season. Minnesota doesn't have the world's best goaltender behind the best team in college hockey anymore. I think this weekend UND gets over the hump.

PS: Anybody see what Raty did to team USA? By garsh.....talk about goaltending....

Actually SCSU was ahead of Minnesota this last weekend in the Saturday game until 2:02 left in the third period so technically they have been the closest to defeating the Gophers. SCSU is also the only team during the streak to hold more than a 1 goal lead with their 2-0 lead after the first period on Saturday.

Only team to have a 2 goal lead, sure.

But triple OT not the closest to defeating them?

Come on.

The UND women have been the closest to beating them during the streak. I'm convinced that without their all world goaltender last year, UND would have beaten them last season. Minnesota doesn't have the world's best goaltender behind the best team in college hockey anymore. I think this weekend UND gets over the hump.

PS: Anybody see what Raty did to team USA? By garsh.....talk about goaltending....

Nope...But again whatever works for you.