SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-2014 Season

SWSiouxMN

UND drops a heartbreaker to Minnesota 3-1. Took an early lead, then Gophs get two PPGs and an empty netter with a minute left. UND had some good chances late. Minnesota should be happy, since the only team that can likely hand with them won't even make the tourney. Too bad Karvinen's career ends this way, barring an NCAA eligibility miracle.

How long has Karvinin been at North Dakota? Just curious as why this is her last year.

Third year I believe...maybe second. NCAA clearinghouse limited eligibility years at UND due to whatever course work she took over in Europe. UND will try for another year, but many are saying that it will be shot down and she will have no eligibility left.

And how does it get fixed?

Does the WCHA need to play less league games and start beating up on the East more?

Does it even matter until a WCHA team finally doesn't win it all?

To hell with the WCHA...anyone...amd I mean ANYONE but Minnesota this season. Please!

And how does it get fixed?

Does the WCHA need to play less league games and start beating up on the East more?

Does it even matter until a WCHA team finally doesn't win it all?

In the presser today, Idalski said that there is no inclination to change the PRW system at all which means that the WCHA is going to have to change to an unbalanced schedule system... if the WCHA will be willing to do that.

Third year I believe...maybe second. NCAA clearinghouse limited eligibility years at UND due to whatever course work she took over in Europe. UND will try for another year, but many are saying that it will be shot down and she will have no eligibility left.

It's her third year playing, and eligibility was actually limited due to a league she played in in Europe, not coursework.

It is hard for me to feel sorry for our club. They had the chance to get in and blew it down the stretch. I know some people will point to losing 3 good players for a period of time as a cause but that is a bit of a weak argument when you look at what Minnesota achieved without Kessel and Stecklein for the entire season. We had our chances against teams we should have beaten (especially the home games with Mankato) and we just didn't get the job done.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw that Clarkson won the NCAA tournament beating Minnesota 5-4. First time a non-WCHA school has won. Congrats to them!

YaneA sent me a text regarding that score. I didn't believe it. Sounds like Clarkson had a heckofa team. Kinda like the east when it comes to men's hockey, nobody seems to think women play hockey anywhere east of Madison. Good for Clarkson!

Interesting note to online article linked below - the last two Gopher title teams have murals in Ridder Arena - one wearing maroon jerseys, the other wearing yellow jerseys. The Gopher women decided to wear white in the '14 championship game so that they could have a third mural done in the third different jersey. I don't know...sounds a bit cocky to me...

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_25404769/gophers-womens-hockey-stunned-by-clarkson-ncaa-title

YaneA sent me a text regarding that score. I didn't believe it. Sounds like Clarkson had a heckofa team. Kinda like the east when it comes to men's hockey, nobody seems to think women play hockey anywhere east of Madison. Good for Clarkson!

Interesting note to online article linked below - the last two Gopher title teams have murals in Ridder Arena - one wearing maroon jerseys, the other wearing yellow jerseys. The Gopher women decided to wear white in the '14 championship game so that they could have a third mural done in the third different jersey. I don't know...sounds a bit cocky to me...

http://www.twincitie...kson-ncaa-title

At least this time the Gophers didn't have enough fans to "drown out" Clarkson's celebration. :p

Too much success breads arrogance and complacency and that is happening with the Gopher women's program.

At least this time the Gophers didn't have enough fans to "drown out" Clarkson's celebration. :p

Too much success breads arrogance and complacency and that is happening with the Gopher women's program.

Just for clarification...The arrogance and complacency that is happening? Is that why they didn't win the national championship this year or are you talking about it setting in now that they lost in the championship game and the affect will be seen next year and beyond?

Just for clarification...The arrogance and complacency that is happening? Is that why they didn't win the national championship this year or are you talking about it setting in now that they lost in the championship game and the affect will be seen next year and beyond?

Over time, it will become more of an issue. It happened with the men's program in the 1980's and 90's and it eventually caught up with them. This year's runner-up finish is the law of averages kicking in, but it's possible the players subconsciously started thinking it was in the bag and that might have been a factor in the loss.

Btw, I wonder if they'll put a mural of their "Runner-Up" finish next to their championship murals? :p

Over time, it will become more of an issue. It happened with the men's program in the 1980's and 90's and it eventually caught up with them. This year's runner-up finish is the law of averages kicking in, but it's possible the players subconsciously started thinking it was in the bag and that might have been a factor in the loss.

Btw, I wonder if they'll put a mural of their "Runner-Up" finish next to their championship murals? :p

It does make some sense that overconfidence played a role against Clarkson. I think that played a part in the first series with UND this year where they won handily on Friday but lost on Saturday. But I'm not sure I buy the idea that taking an opponent lightly in a game or two means arrogance and complacency is setting into the program. I guess time will tell if your theory holds true.

I guessing the mural of the runner-up finish would be more of an SCSU thing.