SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-2014 Season

SWSiouxMN

It was obvious und was missing players and the refs weren't calling anything against Minnesota, it was easy to see. UMN is a good enough team that the refs don't have to call things their way but it seems the refs call it one way. Plenty of blatant calls missed with Spivey and Lick looking right at it.

I think the announcer said 5,835...which is a new attendance record for UND women's hockey.

According to Schlossman, last night's UND-UMN women's game outdrew 20 of 24 D-1 men's games, 7 of 8 OHL games, and over half the AHL games. Absolutely awesome.

Awesome, yes, but let's remember that the promotion was $1 tickets.

I get that, and I know they wouldn't have beaten all those places had it been regularly priced tickets. But I bet a lot of schools couldn't get that many people in the door for women's hockey even if it were free.

Awesome, yes, but let's remember that the promotion was $1 tickets.

For what it's worth, we did the same promotion last year ($1 tickets, though no puck giveaway, and we fell short of the attendance record by 7). The previous record was 3,200 - set at the first ever UND Women's Hockey game. I really hope that UND fans and the Grand Forks community are incredibly proud of the support they showed last night - not too far from doubling the previous record! With all the fans & families that made it, likely many for the first time, I hope many will decide to return and support in the future (starting with 7pm tonight). This team deserves it!

• Upvote 2

I get that, and I know they wouldn't have beaten all those places had it been regularly priced tickets. But I bet a lot of schools couldn't get that many people in the door for women's hockey even if it were free.

Correct. I went over to SW Arena in Fargo last night to watch my buddies kid play and they had a table set up taking gate depending on which game you were going to watch. The other rink there had a girls high school game and they were charging $5 and I thought to myself ---I wouldn't pay $1 to watch the 2 best womens college teams in the country play but someone has to pay $5 to watch there kid play girls high school hockey.

According to Schlossman, last night's UND-UMN women's game outdrew 20 of 24 D-1 men's games, 7 of 8 OHL games, and over half the AHL games. Absolutely awesome.

You can sell a lot of tickets at $1 each. The really good thing is it sounds like they had a lot of people that had never been to a women's game, and some that hadn't ever been to a college hockey game of any kind. That might help develop new fans.

For what it's worth, we did the same promotion last year ($1 tickets, though no puck giveaway, and we fell short of the attendance record by 7). The previous record was 3,200 - set at the first ever UND Women's Hockey game. I really hope that UND fans and the Grand Forks community are incredibly proud of the support they showed last night - not too far from doubling the previous record! With all the fans & families that made it, likely many for the first time, I hope many will decide to return and support in the future (starting with 7pm tonight). This team deserves it!

I wasn't trying to disparage the attendance at all - in fact, I think it was a great idea to try to get fans in and around Grand Forks who, on a weekend when the men are completely out of the picture, to say "hey, let's spend four bucks and take the kids to the women's game tonight." With any luck, the idea made some new fans and women's attendance will get a bit of a boost in the rest of their games this season and on into next season.

That being said, if I posted on craigslist tonight that I will offer anyone who shows up at my broomball game on Wednesday night to cheer for my team free pizza and hot chocolate, I bet we'd outdraw everybroomball game in the country for the entire month of February! :lol:

• Upvote 1

UND women tied for 8th in pairwise......gosh they need to get that system fixed......

There's some truth to this, but both the WCHA as a whole and UND specifically need to look at a lot smarter scheduling. UND should not be playing Lindenwood in the NCAA tourney is a goal. Non-conference games are too precious and to waste them against a CHA cellar dwellar is just foolish. Also, two game series are not ideal either. UND should be working with Bemidji to pair two eastern schools and play single games on Friday and Saturday. Ideally this would be two teams from the same conference.

Ideal non-conference schedule (under current format with Bemidji playing same teams and sites would reverse the next season)

at Clarkson

at St. Lawrence

vs Mercyhurst

vs Robert Morris

The even better option would be for the WCHA to drop to a 21 game schedule (playing each opponent three times) and set up an interlocking schedule with the CHA. That would take you to 27 games and leave 5 non-conference games against Eastern teams (28 games and 4 non-con for the CHA clubs). I would still try to avoid two game series for these matchups if at all possible. This would create much more diversity and give more legitimacy to the Women's Pairwise.

I think it is totally up to the WCHA to make changes, as the eastern teams have no motivation to upset the status quo, other than for the integrity and quality of the sport, and that hasn't seemed to mean much to this point.

Congrats to the women on an amazing comeback on Saturday. Duluth went up 3-0, and UND came back to win 4-3. I believe it was the biggest comeback in program history. Tied Sunday, but lost the shootout.

I don't suppose the selection committee will take the Olympics into account come March. I doubt the girls are using it as an excuse for anything less than excellence, but it seems cruel to have your tourney chances decreased just because you have many great players on your team.

I think this illustrates the need to have a much tougher regular season schedule in the future. Playing the likes of Lindenwood hurt us this time of year when the Pairwise Rankings become so important to getting an at-large bid. This isn't a bottom-feeder program anymore; we need to start scheduling better teams.