SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Sky

GeauxSioux

Grand Forks County officials unveil details for drone technology park

Backers of a North Dakota technology and business park for unmanned aircraft systems expect to finalize a contract for the facility in the next few weeks.

The project known as Grand Sky will cover 225 acres on the Grand Forks Air Force base. Officials unveiled details for the park Thursday at an annual drone summit in Grand Forks.

Grand Forks County Commissioner John Schmisek says it would be the largest industrial park in North Dakota. The anchor tenant is aerospace technology company Northrup Grumman.

Northrop Grumman, Grand Forks partners sign agreement promoting UAS in region

BRIC has put forth a lot of effort to bring Grand Sky this close to a reality, Grand Forks County Commissioner John Schmisek said, and “you can see how that effort has paid off.” Northrop Grumman has agreed to be an “anchor tenant” at Grand Sky, and one of the first planned buildings in the park will have 20,000 square feet of classroom and office space for UND and NCTC students and staff, with high bay areas for practical applications of classroom sessions.

Financially, the park has a target investment of $300 million in facilities if the Northern Plains test site is approved. The North Dakota legislature approved $5 million for building infrastructure in the park, $4 million pending approval of the bid

Another piece on Grand Sky and UAVs

Officials unveil details for drone technology park in Grand Forks

51a8375ab5158.preview-300.jpg

North Dakota officials kicked off a conference on unmanned aircraft systems Thursday by touting two proposals they say would make the state a global leader in civilian drone research and training.

The first one is a technology and business park known as Grand Sky, which would be the largest industrial complex in North Dakota and provide instruction for pilots, sensor operators and maintenance workers. Backers of the plan expect to finalize a contract for the facility in the next few weeks.

The state also is bidding against 25 applicants to become one of six national unmanned aircraft test sites, a decision the Federal Aviation Administration expects to make by the end of the year. North Dakota already has committed $5 million to the venture and named a former state Air National Guard Commander as its director

I like the quote from Cramer...

"It has never been so cool to be from North Dakota."

I grow up on the Airforce base and recently visited the base over Christmas break thinking of transfering to UND.I was so depressed to see how small it has become. I am interested, I haven't heard much about the UAV. If chosen how many personel would be added. I just saw the news for it and It seems like a very small project right now. http://www.wdaz.com/...ticle/id/17643/

225 acers is not much. So I can't expect it to bring the base back to life even if it works out we get it.

I grow up on the Airforce base and recently visited the base over Christmas break thinking of transfering to UND.I was so depressed to see how small it has become. I am interested, I haven't heard much about the UAV. If chosen how many personel would be added. I just saw the news for it and It seems like a very small project right now. http://www.wdaz.com/...ticle/id/17643/

225 acers is not much. So I can't expect it to bring the base back to life even if it works out we get it.

People are working on a lot of great things for the base. The Air Force is operating much leaner than it was several years ago, so even if the same missions were here the base would be smaller. The Dakota Sky project is one part of a plan to make Grand Forks, UND and the GFAFB one of the leaders in Unmanned Arial Systems. A key element is getting to use the airspace. The GFAFB will host Air Force units, Homeland Security, UND UAS, plus major manufacturers like Northrup Grumman. And they are working with Northland Tech along with Lake Region to increase the scope of the work. UAS repair work training and UAS data analysis training are involved. Besides all of this, GFAFB will have an opportunity for the next wing of the new tankers. The site that was recently chosen is just the first, they are choosing several others in the next several years. Grand Forks will be a leading contender for one of those missions. The new tankers need less support than the current tankers, so any new tanker wing will be smaller than the current tanker wings. But there is plenty of room at GFAFB for the tankers along with the UAS project and UAS mission. None of this is certain at this point, but it could be better for the Grand Forks region than the old base was because many of these jobs will be higher paying than the airmen that have been stationed here over the years.
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
On June 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM, GeauxSioux said:

Professor David Flynn  is looking  for more proof b4 he says Grand Sky is a big thing.

2012 is when the 3 billion dollar Northern Plains Nitrogen Plant was proposed. 2018  almost nothing yet.

There have been many cuts, buildings demolished, 500 million in deferred maintenance at UND.

keep your eyes focused on GF's crown jewel UND. Carnival shell games have 3 options.

Your supposed to give people the benefit of doubt. Especially politicians in the same political party as you are. Ace in the hole.

What's UND going to look like in 5-10 years? Your guess is as good as mine. If the past 15 years is any indication get ready for more bad news. Hope not.

16 hours ago, moser53 said:

Professor David Flynn  is looking  for more proof b4 he says Grand Sky is a big thing.

2012 is when the 3 billion dollar Northern Plains Nitrogen Plant was proposed. 2018  almost nothing yet.

There have been many cuts, buildings demolished, 500 million in deferred maintenance at UND.

keep your eyes focused on GF's crown jewel UND. Carnival shell games have 3 options.

Your supposed to give people the benefit of doubt. Especially politicians in the same political party as you are. Ace in the hole.

What's UND going to look like in 5-10 years? Your guess is as good as mine. If the past 15 years is any indication get ready for more bad news. Hope not.

Go back to Bisonville and their delusional Rose Bowl dreams.

On November 19, 2017 at 4:31 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Northrop Grumman just builds a 35,000 sq ft office building and a 36,000 sq ft hangar, General Atomics just opened a new 24,000 sq ft office and Moser says where is the beef.  Look in the NDSU cattle barns.

SiouxVolley how does UND ever get the funding to fix up the buildings when your 500 Million behind now? Is the only option is to tear down buildings and  cut programs. Send these programs to other colleges that have nice new buildings. State says we're broke and we have to much duplication so we have no other option. Problem solved save the taxpayer money.To many Vice Presidents at UND anyway as I hear often.Never hear Fargo people complain about SU.

• Downvote 2

• 2 months later...
On November 19, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Cratter said:

It'll just eventually move to Fargo like everything else.

You want Fed Ex X 5. Listen to the news every ND city wants Grand Sky action. Yesterday on KFGO former Fargo Comissioner Mike Williams was on the air with a company from Norway talking about this. The guy from Norway mentions GF and what is going on  here. Mike then says he is going to Norway. People make things public for a reason. 

Is this fake news to make people like me say see there screwing us again. Make me look stupid. Or are they trying to?

On 11/20/2017 at 7:51 PM, moser53 said:

SiouxVolley how does UND ever get the funding to fix up the buildings when your 500 Million behind now? Is the only option is to tear down buildings and  cut programs. Send these programs to other colleges that have nice new buildings. State says we're broke and we have to much duplication so we have no other option. Problem solved save the taxpayer money.To many Vice Presidents at UND anyway as I hear often.Never hear Fargo people complain about SU.

You realize that UND is was a distant second on the deferred maintenance list right? They have actually tried to address it and taken significant steps to reduce that, in part by taking buildings that aren't worth the cost/benefit offline and moving programs into other buildings (like the former med school building). 

26 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You realize that UND is was a distant second on the deferred maintenance list right? They have actually tried to address it and taken significant steps to reduce that, in part by taking buildings that aren't worth the cost/benefit offline and moving programs into other buildings (like the former med school building). 

A distant second in maintenance over 500 million? Who' first. What does that say about our State Leaders? Over 1 billion WOW

6 minutes ago, moser53 said:

A distant second in maintenance over 500 million? Who' first. What does that say about our State Leaders? Over 1 billion WOW

The number is derived from a formula and doesn't really mean we need to spend $500 million immediately.  At the time they came up with the numbers the state had a lot of money.  Think the schools may have inflated things a bit?

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The number is derived from a formula and doesn't really mean we need to spend $500 million immediately.  At the time they came up with the numbers the state had a lot of money.  Think the schools may have inflated things a bit?

Who's first? Schools inflate things, Why to get more $.

• 1 month later...
On November 19, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Cratter said:

It'll just eventually move to Fargo like everything else.

Hillsboro just lost out I guess there not in Cass County. Israel company Elbot to Casselton.

Cratter your on deck

2 hours ago, moser53 said:

Hillsboro just lost out I guess there not in Cass County. Israel company Elbot to Casselton.

Cratter your on deck

Congratulations. I think your the first person to use any of my quotes twice.

Two months apart between those quotes is even more impressive.

Why didn't they want to fly out of Grand Sky?

18 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Congratulations. I think your the first person to use any of my quotes twice.

Two months apart between those quotes is even more impressive.

Why didn't they want to fly out of Grand Sky?

North Dakota Sillicon Valley of Drones. Why were they flying out of Hillsboro? Are they going back to Hillsboro?  I bet no.

Cass County  Casselton home of the governors perfect spot to work with the Air guard in Fargo. This could big stuff for Cass County. What does the future hold for Grand Sky? There's no political power in GF so me think GF loses 

18 minutes ago, moser53 said:

North Dakota Sillicon Valley of Drones. Why were they flying out of Hillsboro? Are they going back to Hillsboro?  I bet no.

Cass County  Casselton home of the governors perfect spot to work with the Air guard in Fargo. This could big stuff for Cass County. What does the future hold for Grand Sky? There's no political power in GF so me think GF loses 

You perhaps don't realize that being on the GFAFB, especially research and development and some operations and training, is often for classified people, per Pentagons order.  Foreign firms often cant get an OK for their people or company, as they don't want Israeli or Russian or any foreign national on base.  When I worked on a military installation that had strict security, anyone even interviewing needed to be accompanied everywhere as their was confidential material all over.  As per normal, just making mountains out of molehills.