SiouxSports.com Forum

South Dakota at Oregon

vlarson

I can definitely see why you would play a game like Oregon, money talks. However, I would like to see us get a mid/lower level FBS win before we jump up to the Oregon level.

Then again who in their right mind would turn away 500k to play one game...that's 400k profit after expenses.

Getting your a** kicked by MSU and EWU, like we did last year, is more of an issue as it relates to a season overall than getting drubbed by the Ducks or a comparible program IMO.

But having a chance to win against a team like MSU and EWU is better than no chance in hell like top 10 FBS teams (Bama, Oregon, etc.).

I can definitely see why you would play a game like Oregon, money talks. However, I would like to see us get a mid/lower level FBS win before we jump up to the Oregon level.

Then again who in their right mind would turn away 500k to play one game...that's 400k profit after expenses.

As an athlete, this is an attractive game on your schedule. You can't be afraid to compete, even when you aren't favored to win. It would be a great experience for UND to play Oregon. I wouldn't expect us to win, but I would expect to compete hard. The kids can walk away knowing they left it all on the field and they will know for the rest of their lives how they stack up against the best. If that would "demoralize them" then they should not be here in the first place. During the course of a season players will need to go up against guys who are better. With Oregon, virtually all of the kids will be facing someone better. You go in with the attitude that you can beat the guy across the line of scrimmage at least once. Then you make sure that is the next play, and then the next and then the next. Pretty soon you have given a good account of yourself. In team sports you need to make sure that you have done that and trust your teammates to do the same. if you and your teammates do that , the score will take care of itself. You can't be afraid to fail or take risks. These games allow for a great trip and game experience. $500,000 is frosting on the cake. I would play 'em for nothing, just the chance to compete. A lot of the kids who play at UND could play elsewhere but may have been overlooked or may have been hurt or an academic risk and think they could have played with the big dogs. This is a great opportunity to measure one's self. There is a satisfaction in competing at the highest level. We need to have a team, staff and administration that is willing to play anyone, anytime and anywhere. When we reach that level, we will compete for the FCS National title and be ready to move up if that opportunity comes along. You can't play worried about getting hurt. Being unwilling to take risks and trying to make sure we can beat anyone we play is what got us behind our competition at the FCS level starting in the 1970's when UNI, Montana, Montana State etc. moved up. I would love to see games against Wyoming, Hawaii, Fresno, Army etc. but playing the FBS powers would be fun too.

But having a chance to win against a team like MSU and EWU is better than no chance in hell like top 10 FBS teams (Bama, Oregon, etc.).

So you would rather get your collective butts handed to you by a team you should be able to compete with than by a team that is supposed to soundly outscore you? If you get beat by the best, you can walk out with your head up knowing, as Ira said, that you left it all on the field.

So you would rather get your collective butts handed to you by a team you should be able to compete with than by a team that is supposed to soundly outscore you? If you get beat by the best, you can walk out with your head up knowing, as Ira said, that you left it all on the field.

Regardless of the score, as long as I can hear "We went toe to toe with them"...'nuf said!!! ;)

As an athlete, this is an attractive game on your schedule. You can't be afraid to compete, even when you aren't favored to win. It would be a great experience for UND to play Oregon. I wouldn't expect us to win, but I would expect to compete hard. The kids can walk away knowing they left it all on the field and they will know for the rest of their lives how they stack up against the best. If that would "demoralize them" then they should not be here in the first place. During the course of a season players will need to go up against guys who are better. With Oregon, virtually all of the kids will be facing someone better. You go in with the attitude that you can beat the guy across the line of scrimmage at least once. Then you make sure that is the next play, and then the next and then the next. Pretty soon you have given a good account of yourself. In team sports you need to make sure that you have done that and trust your teammates to do the same. if you and your teammates do that , the score will take care of itself. You can't be afraid to fail or take risks. These games allow for a great trip and game experience. $500,000 is frosting on the cake. I would play 'em for nothing, just the chance to compete. A lot of the kids who play at UND could play elsewhere but may have been overlooked or may have been hurt or an academic risk and think they could have played with the big dogs. This is a great opportunity to measure one's self. There is a satisfaction in competing at the highest level. We need to have a team, staff and administration that is willing to play anyone, anytime and anywhere. When we reach that level, we will compete for the FCS National title and be ready to move up if that opportunity comes along. You can't play worried about getting hurt. Being unwilling to take risks and trying to make sure we can beat anyone we play is what got us behind our competition at the FCS level starting in the 1970's when UNI, Montana, Montana State etc. moved up. I would love to see games against Wyoming, Hawaii, Fresno, Army etc. but playing the FBS powers would be fun too.

Good points Ira, thanks for the insight! I must say that my position on playing a team of Oregons caliber is neutral at this point. I absolutely agree with everything that you said...I just wish we had at least one FBS win!

Schedules are filled out until 2015....I am all for getting a big game on the schedule after that.

What I am saying is when the kids go out against MSU or EWU they know they can win and odds are pretty decent they can achieve that, but against a team like Oregon or Bama you have better odds of winning the lottery than not getting killed. This isn't a PS3 game this is the real thing and I would rather get beat 35-17 by MSU than getting beat 70-0 by Oregon.

What I am saying is when the kids go out against MSU or EWU they know they can win and odds are pretty decent they can achieve that, but against a team like Oregon or Bama you have better odds of winning the lottery than not getting killed. This isn't a PS3 game this is the real thing and I would rather get beat 35-17 by MSU than getting beat 70-0 by Oregon.

Unfortunately it was 55-10 last year...and vs. the Ducks and a 70-0 beatdown, I really don't see a difference.

Unfortunately it was 55-10 last year...and vs. the Ducks and a 70-0 beatdown, I really don't see a difference.

Not every game against MSU or EWU will be like that, but against top FBS teams I don't think we have a prayer.

Not every game against MSU or EWU will be like that, but against top FBS teams I don't think we have a prayer.

It should never be like that! Those games were more embarrassing than any 70-0 thumping by the Ducks would ever be IMO.

We'll agree to disagree.

• Upvote 1

It should never be like that! Those games were more embarrassing than any 70-0 thumping by the Ducks would ever be IMO.

We'll agree to disagree.

But I guess on the other hand UND could play Oregon tough like SDSU did to Nebraska and only lose 17-3.

But I guess on the other hand UND could play Oregon tough like SDSU did to Nebraska and only lose 17-3.

Many moons ago (along about 1930 or so) UND's football team did play Oregon Ducks tough. In a game played at UND's Memorial Stadium it was UND 0, Oregon 0. If I'm not mistaken I think it was the Memorial Stadium dedication game.

The year was 1931. My Dad always swore that the '31 team was the best ever. Oregon was travelling by train to New York for a game with NYU and stopped off in Grand Forks for a "warm-up". The game ended in a 0-0 tie. Oregon was listed as #6 in the nation that year in the old Massey ratings. UND that year was 8-1-2. They beat DePaul and all the regional competition. The ties were with Oregon and George Washington, and the loss was to Duquesne.

The year was 1931. My Dad always swore that the '31 team was the best ever. Oregon was travelling by train to New York for a game with NYU and stopped off in Grand Forks for a "warm-up". The game ended in a 0-0 tie. Oregon was listed as #6 in the nation that year in the old Massey ratings. UND that year was 8-1-2. They beat DePaul and all the regional competition. The ties were with Oregon and George Washington, and the loss was to Duquesne.

Never heard that story before. You brought a smile to my face. The way you described it, I can almost hear him telling it.

Edit... The man that VLarson is talking about is my grandfather, which is why it really struck me.

Thanks for providing additional details on that game. I didn't realize Oregon was ranked that highly that season. I can understand why your Dad felt the '31 team was the best ever. Thanks again for sharing.