SiouxSports.com Forum

South Dakota at Oregon

vlarson

I just saw on Rivals that Oregon has scheduled South Dakota for 8/30/14. Oregon has also scheduled Nichols State in 2013, Eastern Washington in 2015, UC Davis in 2016, and Southern Utah in 2017. It looks like the Pac 12 is the place to pick up the money games.

I just saw on Rivals that Oregon has scheduled South Dakota for 8/30/14. Oregon has also scheduled Nichols State in 2013, Eastern Washington in 2015, UC Davis in 2016, and Southern Utah in 2017. It looks like the Pac 12 is the place to pick up the money games.

Jeremy Hoeck, sports editor at the Yankton Press, tweeted they are getting $525K for the game.

Faison needs to get us games like this. Our kids want to play these games to see how we measure up. It would be fun to see our young QB"s and receivers measure up against bigtime FBS teams in a couple of years. If we are going to be able to win FCS championships we need to be able to play these schools and give them some competition. Also one of these games each year covers new uniforms annually. Yeah I know we need to be able to beat the FCS teams on our schedule first, but these are great games to have on our schedule when we bring recruits in. Our kids have stepped it up against TCU, Fresno and Northern Illinois the last few years. These games are great measuring tools to gauge where we are.

whats always perplexed me is why team A gets 200k and team b gets 500k. If FCS teams are so uncompetitive and uninteresting, they would be interchangeable for the most part, so why would certain teams be paid so much more? Geography would be the only thing i can think of to explain it, but that doesn't seem to help.

oh well good for USD, they need it.

Faison needs to get us games like this. Our kids want to play these games to see how we measure up. It would be fun to see our young QB"s and receivers measure up against bigtime FBS teams in a couple of years. If we are going to be able to win FCS championships we need to be able to play these schools and give them some competition. Also one of these games each year covers new uniforms annually. Yeah I know we need to be able to beat the FCS teams on our schedule first, but these are great games to have on our schedule when we bring recruits in. Our kids have stepped it up against TCU, Fresno and Northern Illinois the last few years. These games are great measuring tools to gauge where we are.

If UND were to play a big name team and get destroyed, that could hurt the team morale, and sink your season. Our game against Texas Tech didn't really matter since we were playing for a GWFC title and our first year of being a counter team. I know how we stack up to the Bama's and Oregon's and its not good. Big difference between them and the bottom feeders of the MAC, Big 10, and Big 12. Our buddies to the south will find out that Kansas St is not the same as the team they beat in Lawrence.

If UND were to play a big name team and get destroyed, that could hurt the team morale, and sink your season. Our game against Texas Tech didn't really matter since we were playing for a GWFC title and our first year of being a counter team. I know how we stack up to the Bama's and Oregon's and its not good. Big difference between them and the bottom feeders of the MAC, Big 10, and Big 12. Our buddies to the south will find out that Kansas St is not the same as the team they beat in Lawrence.

Agree. It's not worth the big paycheck. FCS is what it is. Nothing wrong with it. A good FCS school can beat a bad FBS school, NDSU has proven that a few times. But, taking on a team like Oregon is not a wise move.

FCS schools can't afford to lose the starters with the potential injuries. They don't have the depth the big name schools have. That's why the back to back division I champion Alabama Crimson Tide can release players that break the law. They got the bench. Probably why baldie at FU chose not to release his criminals. Mr. Clean chose to keep his criminals so the NCAA can ship another JV championship banner to Grand Forks.

Agree. It's not worth the big paycheck. FCS is what it is. Nothing wrong with it. A good FCS school can beat a bad FBS school, NDSU has proven that a few times. But, taking on a team like Oregon is not a wise move.

FCS schools can't afford to lose the starters with the potential injuries. They don't have the depth the big name schools have. That's why the back to back division I champion Alabama Crimson Tide can release players that break the law. They got the bench. Probably why baldie at FU chose not to release his criminals. Mr. Clean chose to keep his criminals so the NCAA can ship another JV championship banner to Grand Forks.

Oregon offers a huge paycheck because nobody wants to play them. What a USD/Oregon game screams is that USD badly needs money and doesn't believe it's team will be any good next year either. USD is setting itself up to be an Idaho St or Weber St.

In the early FBS history of Boise St, Boise St wouldn't schedule games that they would be demolished in. They scheduled to go 10-1 or 9-2. With that kind of record, they would get better athletes, With better athletes, they would schedule a notch up. It's all about matching your schedule to your competitiveness.

Think Faison is doing an excellent job scheduling: San Jose St, N Mexico St, Wyoming. All are winnable games. When a game is on the road as the FBS games will be, the odds are much more against you. When we start winning FBS games, ratchet up the FBS schedule a bit.. Except for the Texas Tech game, UND really hasn't scheduled for money.

• Upvote 1

Oregon offers a huge paycheck because nobody wants to play them. What a USD/Oregon game screams is that USD badly needs money and doesn't believe it's team will be any good next year either. USD is setting itself up to be an Idaho St or Weber St.

In the early FBS history of Boise St, Boise St wouldn't schedule games that they would be demolished in. They scheduled to go 10-1 or 9-2. With that kind of record, they would get better athletes, With better athletes, they would schedule a notch up. It's all about matching your schedule to your competitiveness.

Think Faison is doing an excellent job scheduling: San Jose St, N Mexico St, Wyoming. All are winnable games. When a game is on the road as the FBS games will be, the odds are much more against you. When we start winning FBS games, ratchet up the FBS schedule a bit.. Except for the Texas Tech game, UND really hasn't scheduled for money.

Good post, good points. Agree.

Screw it. 525K is plenty of reason to play this game. As if UND would have turned down this payday. They would have jumped at it in a second.

Why jump on it? To get beat by 70? I'd rather play the types of FBS games we have been playing and will be playing over the next few years. Still get a nice paycheck and we'll eventually get over the hump and knock one of these teams off. A lot of posters here like to rip on the bison posters about their cupcake FBS scheduling but I'd be very happy to copy their scheduling formula when it comes to FBS games.

Why jump on it? To get beat by 70? I'd rather play the types of FBS games we have been playing and will be playing over the next few years. Still get a nice paycheck and we'll eventually get over the hump and knock one of these teams off. A lot of posters here like to rip on the bison posters about their cupcake FBS scheduling but I'd be very happy to copy their scheduling formula when it comes to FBS games.

However look at SDSU they lost 17-3 to Nebraska, in a place like the Sea of Red that would be worth the paycheck. Then again UND got spanked by Idaho.

Your obsession with bringing up NDSU in unrelated threads is astounding. You seem quite outspoken about NDSU scheduling KSU and that they will lose handily. What will you say if NDSU wins that game?

• Upvote 2

Your obsession with bringing up NDSU in unrelated threads is astounding. You seem quite outspoken about NDSU scheduling KSU and that they will lose handily. What will you say if NDSU wins that game?

I bring up NDSU because they are playing a top 10 team like USD is going to do, something SU has never done.

When it is the difference of being in the black or the red where to you think they would go? There is no way UND would not jump on a game like this in a heartbeat. They could care less how bad they got beat. They still have a check for 525K. Do you think the players would rather play Crookston and beat them 70-0 or get beat by Oregon 70-0. You know the guys they watch on TV. Not much of a question here.

When it is the difference of being in the black or the red where to you think they would go? There is no way UND would not jump on a game like this in a heartbeat. They could care less how bad they got beat. They still have a check for 525K. Do you think the players would rather play Crookston and beat them 70-0 or get beat by Oregon 70-0. You know the guys they watch on TV. Not much of a question here.

Because the only two options are playing Crookston or Oregon...

Been to Autzen twice. Great, great college FB atmosphere. Getting beat soundly wouldn't damper the overall experience for a UND squad in one of these big time venues. Agree Faison needs to get on the horn to schedule UND in a game like this.

I wouldn't advocate playing a team with the style of play that Oregon brings to the table every year, but I agree more with Ira. If USD can get it done, so can Faison.

As for the injury/morale argument? Well, Georgia Southern has had quite a program. I'm not sure you can make a strong case that playing Alabama and Georgia in consecutive years "sunk their season". When the time comes to schedule a game, I think it comes down to looking yourself in the mirror and deciding whether or not you will have the type of team in the next few years that can handle a game like that. Is this group of freshman/sophs that type of team? I don't know.

I wouldn't advocate playing a team with the style of play that Oregon brings to the table every year, but I agree more with Ira. If USD can get it done, so can Faison.

As for the injury/morale argument? Well, Georgia Southern has had quite a program. I'm not sure you can make a strong case that playing Alabama and Georgia in consecutive years "sunk their season". When the time comes to schedule a game, I think it comes down to looking yourself in the mirror and deciding whether or not you will have the type of team in the next few years that can handle a game like that. Is this group of freshman/sophs that type of team? I don't know.

Could you imagine Faison getting UND to play UCLA, or Miami (FL)? The money part would be good for the school but the result may not be.

Getting your a** kicked by MSU and EWU, like we did last year, is more of an issue as it relates to a season overall than getting drubbed by the Ducks or a comparible program IMO.

• Upvote 1