SiouxSports.com Forum

What conference will the other Dakotas be in 2015?

SiouxVolley

Where do the other Dakotas go?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Where will the other Dakotas go?

• Summit League will survive
    • Merge with the Horizon Leauge
    • The MVC will take pity on them and save the MVFC
    • Big Sky will take them in
    • The WAC will add them
    • Somewhere else. (make comments)
    • Independents except football

Why do people here seem obsessed with the Summit? We've been hearing about the Summit's demise for how long? I'll believe it when it happens until then I couldn't care less because it does not affect UND!

Cause I like popcorn.

• Upvote 3

Why do people here seem obsessed with the Summit? We've been hearing about the Summit's demise for how long? I'll believe it when it happens until then I couldn't care less because it does not affect UND!

Then don't post, or read anything in this thread. Its titled "Other Dakotas", not UND.

• Upvote 1

At best, the Summit League would have two years of grace to correct the lack of baseball (or it could offer another men's sport like hockey) or it could take football in house and add two more teams, otherwise the Summit League would be defunct in the eyes of the NCAA.

Are they not already in their two year grace period for this? Or are you talking a separate grace period that would effect their basketball autobid?

Are they not already in their two year grace period for this? Or are you talking a separate grace period that would effect their basketball autobid?

There are two separate grace periods:

A.- one for a team sport that is not basketball

B. - one for being a multisport conference and maintaining a men's basketball autobid

The Summit would be moving from situation A to situation B if it doesn't maintain 5 baseball teams for another year, or return to six the following year..

If a conference has four men's team sports, Situation B won't happen even if Situation A ends up with a loss of an autobid for one sport.

But I could be reading the bylaws wrong if the NCAA intends that a non-football league that doesn't sponsor three men's sports be immediately stripped of it's men's basketball autobid.

The Summit League also needs to maintain six men's soccer teams and is vulnerable there too with Oakland and Kansas City leaving. The Summit League has two affiliate members in E Illinois and Oral Roberts in that sport that keep them alive there. If the MVC offered both ORU and EIU in that sport only, the Summit would also be in violation in that sport, as the Summit only has Denver, W Ill, IPFW, and IUPUI in that. Men's soccer (must be 6), men's baseball (must be 6), and total active DI members (must be 7) are the three criteria that especially matter for the men's basketball autobid, and the Summit is hurting in all three.

The Summit is like a train without a conductor. One thing that could possibly save it is UND jumping aboard, so could end up seeing a lot of political pressure to force a move on UND to benefit NDSU. I think we need to be aware of that. A change in conferences by the other Dakotas would also change the whole dynamics of recruiting.

The Summit is like a train without a conductor. One thing that could possibly save it is UND jumping aboard, so could end up seeing a lot of political pressure to force a move on UND to benefit NDSU. I think we need to be aware of that. A change in conferences by the other Dakotas would also change the whole dynamics of recruiting.

I think UND and its alumn in politics will fight that to the death. UND is in a stable conference, NDSU isn't and its no guarantee that NDSU will remain in that conference with the MVC, HL, and even the MAC being thrown around. UND could get stuck in the SL with no way out. If the ND legislature can't get UND and NDSU to meet each other on the gridiron then they can't do this.

B. - one for being a multisport conference and maintaining a men's basketball autobid

The Summit would be moving from situation A to situation B if it doesn't maintain 5 baseball teams for another year, or return to six the following year..

If a conference has four men's team sports, Situation B won't happen even if Situation A ends up with a loss of an autobid for one sport.

But I could be reading the bylaws wrong if the NCAA intends that a non-football league that doesn't sponsor three men's sports be immediately stripped of it's men's basketball autobid.

The Summit League also needs to maintain six men's soccer teams and is vulnerable there too with Oakland and Kansas City leaving. The Summit League has two affiliate members in E Illinois and Oral Roberts in that sport that keep them alive there. If the MVC offered both ORU and EIU in that sport only, the Summit would also be in violation in that sport, as the Summit only has Denver, W Ill, IPFW, and IUPUI in that. Men's soccer (must be 6), men's baseball (must be 6), and total active DI members (must be 7) are the three criteria that especially matter for the men's basketball autobid, and the Summit is hurting in all three.

The only thing about this is maybe the NCAA will treat this like the 15,000 minimum attendance in football. 90% of the MAC fails this rule but nothing will happen.

The only thing about this is maybe the NCAA will treat this like the 15,000 minimum attendance in football. 90% of the MAC fails this rule but nothing will happen.

No one is really impacted when Eastern Michigan averages less than 15,000 per game, except Eastern Michigan. When a conference fails to meet the NCAA requirements there is an auto-bid involved. That bid could go somewhere else and there is an impact.

I have read the postings where there is a grace period if a conference falls under 6 teams, but have not seen where it says that if you fall to 4 teams the grace period is gone. Can someone point me to that?

I would have to agree that the loss of an auto bid is a little more serious (even for just baseball) than say the overlooking of attendance requirements. Here's why I think so... take away an auto-bid, that turns it into an at-large bid, and you can't tell me those schools in the southern conferences for baseball wouldn't want to see one more at large bid available for the tournament. They would be licking there chops. In fact if I was those southern schools, I would be watching this situation like a hawk, and stomping up and down when that grace period is suppose to end, because it's an opportunity that could get their teams into the tournament in the future.

I was thinking along the lines that the baseball clock running out (due to time or further drop in membership) would start the basketball clock, but wasn't 100% sure if that was the case. It appears it is, thanks for clearing it up.

I have read the postings where there is a grace period if a conference falls under 6 teams, but have not seen where it says that if you fall to 4 teams the grace period is gone. Can someone point me to that?

For the sport that falls under six members, the 2-year grace period is only good "provided the conference maintains at least five Division I members." Since Summit baseball had now fallen under five (to four), the 2-year grace period for baseball is gone (if there are no new baseball teams by July), and the conference at large will be under a 2-yr grace period for its basketball autobid for failing to meet the definition of a multisports conference.

31.3.4.4.3 Grace Period. A conference shall remain eligible for automatic qualification for two years following the date of the withdrawal of the institution(s) that causes the conference’s membership to fall below six institutions that sponsor the sport and conduct conference competition together provided the conference maintains at least five Division I members. (Adopted: 8/5/04, Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

For the sport that falls under six members, the 2-year grace period is only good "provided the conference maintains at least five Division I members." Since Summit baseball had now fallen under five (to four), the 2-year grace period for baseball is gone (if there are no new baseball teams by July), and the conference at large will be under a 2-yr grace period for its basketball autobid for failing to meet the definition of a multisports conference.

Gracias, from the comprehension impaired.

I thought that it was a well written article. I would definitely be for adding NDSU to the Big Sky for a few reasons:

1) Play the damn football game!

2) Travel- Other teams in the conference have been iffy about traveling to UND for one basketball game for example. If NDSU is in that will make for an ideal travel partner to ease other schools concerns and impact on their budgets.

3) For the state- this more so goes back to playing in football but this alone would be huge for the state: revenue, exposure, pride.

Thoughts?

Only way I see NDSU getting invited before any defections from the current Big Sky occur is if Denver also comes with them.

Travel Partners would be:

North Dakota-FU

UM-MSU

EWU-Idaho

ISU-Weber

UNC-Denver

SUU-NAU

PSU-SAC

However, I'd prefer to see them stay in the Summit. They seem happy there.

Only way I see NDSU getting invited before any defections from the current Big Sky occur is if Denver also comes with them.

Travel Partners would be:

North Dakota-FU

UM-MSU

EWU-Idaho

ISU-Weber

UNC-Denver

SUU-NAU

PSU-SAC

However, I'd prefer to see them stay in the Summit. They seem happy there.

I want them to be happy too. God bless them and their little tractor maintenance program they have in Fargo.

• Upvote 1

Since most of BV feel its only for UND's benefit I say add SDSU and USD, and let the Bison fend for themselves in the Slummit. They don't want to join the Big Fluffy as they call it well screw them. Maybe Bison fans and Douple were a perfect match. Plus don't forget ButtRPI.

• Upvote 1

This is also worthy of a read (Tom Miller with BSC Commish Fullterton from May 4, 2013) as it talks about:

- future of the BSC

- future of FCS

- possibility of three-tier Division I football

Over the next 15 months, NCAA DI is reviewing "subdivision placement" issues so Fullerton just isn't blowing smoke.

http://www.ncaa.org/...l qualification

As part of the conference discussion, the presidents adopted a resolution that requests a thorough review of voting ratios and subdivision placement issues over the next 15 months. The resolution also asks that the review take place either through a substantial agreement between conferences or through the planned evaluation of the Division I governance structure and process.

Since most of BV feel its only for UND's benefit I say add SDSU and USD, and let the Bison fend for themselves in the Slummit. They don't want to join the Big Fluffy as they call it well screw them. Maybe Bison fans and Douple were a perfect match. Plus don't forget ButtRPI.

When Oakland leaves this week, maybe it will finally sink into their skulls that the Big Sky is their only option. They better be a bit gracious if the Big Sky ends up offering, cause they have no other options for their Olympics, unless they can plead with the WAC. NDSU and SDSU can stay in the Summit with USD and Omaha, while everyone else leaves, and see how many bids they get from the NCAA. Just rename the Summit the Great West!

When Oakland leaves this week, maybe it will finally sink into their skulls that the Big Sky is their only option. They better be a bit gracious if the Big Sky ends up offering, cause they have no other options for their Olympics, unless they can plead with the WAC. NDSU and SDSU can stay in the Summit with USD and Omaha, while everyone else leaves, and see how many bids they get from the NCAA. Just rename the Summit the Great West!

This sums it up from Bisonville: http://www.bisonvill...Should-Add-NDSU

"travelling partner" is the stupidest thing ive ever heard of.

NDSU needs to just go solo.

And

big fluffy lol ming you drunk huh chea cinco de mayo und desperate obvious ill take summit with 5 teams over fluffy at least I can king cab it to summit games