SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

Hakstol = Woog. Look at the records and the lack of NCAA success. 9 years and no National Championships is ALL that matters. Do UND fans care about anything else? Would you take what UMD has done in the last 9 years? I would, since they have 1 National Title in that time. Minnesota went with Woog for 14 years then let him go. Hakstol is running out of time in my book and honestly should on a short leash.

No coach at UND has gone 10 years without a National Title and not been fired. That is a fact. 14 years is too long not to win a championship. I don't care about WCHA titles, WCHA tourney titles or NCAA appearances. National Titles are all that matters and Hakstol has 0. If it wasn't for nepotism at UND he may already be gone. Get used to underachieving, since that is what this hockey team is all about.

3 goals in 2 games vs Yale and Niagra. Seriously that is not coming prepared for the NCAAs. Dave Wood oops I mean Dave O'Keefe oops I mean Dave Hakstol needs to be replaced. Win it all or the season is a bust. 9 straight busts in my book.

• Upvote 3

If Hakstol was a pro-hockey coach he would've been canned years ago even with the record you posted.

Really? Because Barry Trotz has been around forever in Nashville and Lindy Ruff was in Buffalo forever or so it seems before recently getting fired...

EDIT: Someone else already beat me to this punch.

Look at the records....scattered with "missed playoffs"...so no. *Insert Family Feud red strike sound effect here*

What part of "Has never missed the playoffs and is in the Frozen Four more often than not" is difficult to understand?

If a pro coach made the playoffs every year (which, is easier), and the conference finals 5 out of 9 years....they would not be fired...

What part of "Has never missed the playoffs and is in the Frozen Four more often than not" is difficult to understand?

If a pro coach made the playoffs every year (which, is easier), and the conference finals 5 out of 9 years....they would not be fired...

Read it wrong, my bad. :):silly:

Unless they're Marty Schottenheimer after going 13-3 with the San Diego Chargers. Look how many titles they've won with their "new" coach. ;)

Bruce Boudreau says it is much warmer in Anaheim than DC...

You point out an example where that is true, but the coach that was fired is doing well in Anaheim, and Washington isn't close to being in playoff contention. Thanks for the example of why they should hang on to Hakstol, because not making the playoffs is a distinct possibility.

Hakstol = Woog. Look at the records and the lack of NCAA success. 9 years and no National Championships is ALL that matters. Do UND fans care about anything else? Would you take what UMD has done in the last 9 years? I would, since they have 1 National Title in that time. Minnesota went with Woog for 14 years then let him go. Hakstol is running out of time in my book and honestly should on a short leash.

No coach at UND has gone 10 years without a National Title and not been fired. That is a fact. 14 years is too long not to win a championship. I don't care about WCHA titles, WCHA tourney titles or NCAA appearances. National Titles are all that matters and Hakstol has 0. If it wasn't for nepotism at UND he may already be gone. Get used to underachieving, since that is what this hockey team is all about.

3 goals in 2 games vs Yale and Niagra. Seriously that is not coming prepared for the NCAAs. Dave Wood oops I mean Dave O'Keefe oops I mean Dave Hakstol needs to be replaced. Win it all or the season is a bust. 9 straight busts in my book.

Really, you would take that 1 national championship over the Sioux success? Spoken like a true casual fan who never watches the Sioux consistently. So if Hakstol can somehow manage to get that one national championship next year, he can be mediocre for 9 years and you won't be calling for his head?

You point out an example where that is true, but the coach that was fired is doing well in Anaheim, and Washington isn't close to being in playoff contention. Thanks for the example of why they should hang on to Hakstol, because not making the playoffs is a distinct possibility.

I guess we can just keep hoping. It works for the Cubs! Well, until the 2011-12 season where fans actually stopped showing up. It won't happen in GF since hockey is the only show in town although it did for a period of time in the early 90s when the Old Ralph wasn't even full for each game with half the seats. I am tired of the excuses season after season with Hakstol teams. Time to shake things up. Did anyone think Gino was replaceable or Blais? Quality coaches would be lining up to coach one of the most prestigious college hockey programs in history. I wouldn't be too worried about who we would find to replace Hak.

I guess we can just keep hoping. It works for the Cubs! Well, until the 2011-12 season where fans actually stopped showing up. It won't happen in GF since hockey is the only show in town although it did for a period of time in the early 90s when the Old Ralph wasn't even full for each game with half the seats. I am tired of the excuses season after season with Hakstol teams. Time to shake things up. Did anyone think Gino was replaceable or Blais? Quality coaches would be lining up to coach one of the most prestigious college hockey programs in history. I wouldn't be too worried about who we would find to replace Hak.

Did I miss the 9 years in a row that the Cubs made the playoffs? I'm sure I would have remembered that. Or the period during the early 90's when UND was in the playoffs all the time, but people stopped going to games? Try comparing apples to apples instead of apples to walnuts. Hakstol is a very successful coach. The only thing he hasn't won is the national title. There are 50 plus Division I schools that would beg to have that problem.

Fire Haskol, save UND

As an outside observer, UND is the most talented team on the planet. He recruits great players but the team can't get er done? Whose fault is that? Duluth recruiting isnt in the same league on paper but they win when it matters? How would the Duluth coach do with the same players and facilities?

Fire Haskol, save UND

As an outside observer, UND is the most talented team on the planet. He recruits great players but the team can't get er done? Whose fault is that? Duluth recruiting isnt in the same league on paper but they win when it matters? How would the Duluth coach do with the same players and facilities?

During the years that Hakstol has been at UND, Duluth has won 0 WCHA regular season titles, 1 Final Five, made 4 appearances in the national tournament and won 1 national title. Duluth really got it done 1 year, that's the only time they "won when it mattered". They don't do it on a regular basis. Sandelin is a good coach, and would probably be on a short list of desirable coaches if Hak leaves at some point. Duluth also has more Hobey Baker winners in history, so they get some pretty good players.

As far as UND having the most talented team on the planet, I think you would get arguments from a lot of people about that. UND would be in the top group of colleges. But that group would include Michigan, Minnesota, Denver, and Boston College at a minimum. UND rarely has the top ranked class of recruits, that usually goes to one of the other schools I mentioned.

Did I miss the 9 years in a row that the Cubs made the playoffs? I'm sure I would have remembered that. Or the period during the early 90's when UND was in the playoffs all the time, but people stopped going to games? Try comparing apples to apples instead of apples to walnuts. Hakstol is a very successful coach. The only thing he hasn't won is the national title. There are 50 plus Division I schools that would beg to have that problem.

He is right about hockey being the only show in town. In fact it pays all the bills. And if it gets to the point where UND isn't putting out a product that gets fans to show up, I'm sure he will get his wish. But I don't think you jump ship when there is only a minor leak.

Keeping Hakstol will mean we will have a successful program with regards to in-conference play. We will most likely be rated very highly in the polls, and receive a fair ranking and placement in the NCAA tournament. Unfortunately, it also means we may never win the big game. Over the past 9 years, when it comes to the big game, our guys are overwhelmingly more talented than our opponent, we have more guys heading in the NHL than our opponent, and on paper we should be victorious, but we are not and we don't. Hak seems to lack the ability to rally the troops so to speak to play inspired, to play like they deserve to be there, and play like the better team that are. Mediocrity may be too harsh to describe a coach that year and year out gets us to the NCAA, but as a fan, I expect our guys to play better, and want more than just an appearance at the tournament.

• Upvote 1

He is right about hockey being the only show in town. In fact it pays all the bills. And if it gets to the point where UND isn't putting out a product that get's fans to show up, I'm sure he will get his wish. But I don't think you jump ship when there is only a minor leak.

People complain because most of the crowd at the Ralph are there to be seen and don't really care about the hockey. That group isn't complaining about not winning titles. They aren't going away until UND starts losing a lot of games or it isn't as much fun at the games. A lot of us aren't placing complete emphasis on winning the national title. We realize that it isn''t the only deciding factor. You're right, if it gets to a point where they are losing large numbers of paying customers, then a change would be made. That isn't happening now and probably not for the next few years.

Keeping Hakstol will mean we will have a successful program with regards to in-conference play. We will most likely be rated very highly in the polls, and receive a fair ranking and placement in the NCAA tournament. Unfortunately, it also means we may never win the big game. Over the past 9 years, when it comes to the big game, our guys are overwhelmingly more talented than our opponent, we have more guys heading in the NHL than our opponent, and on paper we should be victorious, but we are not and we don't. Hak seems to lack the ability to rally the troops so to speak to play inspired, to play like they deserve to be there, and play like the better team that are. Mediocrity may be too harsh to describe a coach that year and year out gets us to the NCAA, but as a fan, I expect our guys to play better, and want more than just an appearance at the tournament.

Is it possible that you are over rating the talent of the UND players, or under rating the talent of opposing schools? For instance, Boston College has more players in the NHL than UND, and have had more draft picks on their team most years, so it makes sense that they have had more recent success. UND doesn't always have more talent, and probably rarely has overwhelmingly more talent. UND rarely has the number 1 ranked recruiting class, and is rarely ranked number 1 in the country at the beginning of the season. So it is probably inaccurate to believe that they have a huge amount of talent more than all of the other schools in the country.

We have gone through this process before. There are plenty of examples of coaches and schools having extended periods without winning the title, that then go on to win multiple titles in a short period. That includes all of the top programs in the country. Just because Hak hasn't won a title yet is not a valid predictor of whether he will win one (or more) in the future.

• Upvote 1

Instead of dusting the old one off, lets start the new one up.

Time to fire the head coach.... The guy can't coach at all. Why do we pay him all of this money.

He's been to the Frozen Four five out of nine seasons. Hakstol's teams have won 20+ games nine season in a row, his teams have made the Final Five every year that he's been the head coach.

UND has won four WCHA Playoff and 2 WCHA regular season Championships under the much maligned head coach.

In addition, Hakstol's teams have made the NCAA tourney every year that he's been at UND and UND just because the team with the longest streak 11 years.

To put this into perspective, SCSU has won 2 NCAA games in their school's history. This is Yale's first trip to the Frozen Four in 60 years.

It's hurts that UND didn't win it all this year, but it's not like UND won't be back soon.

I will be back, again next season.

*The author of this post realizes that many are frustrated with the current loss of the UND hockey program. This a shot at satire. But also a place for fans to blow off steam.

I agree that he shouldn't be fired....however this is the first time since he's started that I have started to question his coaching and think about what he was given that ALL other coaches don't have. The guy has an unlimited budget and world class facilities that kids aren't going to see anywhere. It is evident that he is able to recruit kids with ease. Every year his teams are full of top end (college) talent. At what point doesn't a guy get even lucky. It is not like they are losing hard fought games....his team lays down at the most critical times. I know Yale beat MN yesterday but I also thought MN laid down.

I am willing to agree that we don't get crazy and fire Hak but taking a step back and looking to the future I am not too sure where this program is going in terms of post season success...and no it's not acceptable to compare us with SCSU...or Yale for that matter.

Is it possible that you are over rating the talent of the UND players, or under rating the talent of opposing schools? For instance, Boston College has more players in the NHL than UND, and have had more draft picks on their team most years, so it makes sense that they have had more recent success. UND doesn't always have more talent, and probably rarely has overwhelmingly more talent. UND rarely has the number 1 ranked recruiting class, and is rarely ranked number 1 in the country at the beginning of the season. So it is probably inaccurate to believe that they have a huge amount of talent more than all of the other schools in the country.

We have gone through this process before. There are plenty of examples of coaches and schools having extended periods without winning the title, that then go on to win multiple titles in a short period. That includes all of the top programs in the country. Just because Hak hasn't won a title yet is not a valid predictor of whether he will win one (or more) in the future.

In recent years und has had more top end NHL talent and their teams have more draft picks, they are also ranked very high (obviously too high) at the beginning of most seasons....super confused by your post. On paper our team is more talented than our opponents (except the goofs).

During the years that Hakstol has been at UND, Duluth has won 0 WCHA regular season titles, 1 Final Five, made 4 appearances in the national tournament and won 1 national title. Duluth really got it done 1 year, that's the only time they "won when it mattered". They don't do it on a regular basis. Sandelin is a good coach, and would probably be on a short list of desirable coaches if Hak leaves at some point. Duluth also has more Hobey Baker winners in history, so they get some pretty good players.

As far as UND having the most talented team on the planet, I think you would get arguments from a lot of people about that. UND would be in the top group of colleges. But that group would include Michigan, Minnesota, Denver, and Boston College at a minimum. UND rarely has the top ranked class of recruits, that usually goes to one of the other schools I mentioned.

the key point about duluth in your post is one frozen four=one national title...sandelin got it done when he was there

Based on his results, I don't think there's any way to make a legitimate argument for firing Hakstol. That would be setting the bar for a coach extremely high and basically saying that national championships are the only standard. If they'd never been close under Hakstol that's one thing, but that isn't the case. With the increasing level of parity in college hockey it's just not realistic.

That having been said, he's definitely developed a disturbing pattern of not being able to get the team ready for the NCAA tournament. It's just too obvious to ignore. It's seems like the Hakstol teams just kind of show up and that's about it. Some years that's good enough to win a couple games and some years it's not. In coachspeak and press conferences you're always going to hear that they have great respect for their opponent and they don't take anyone lightly, but their performance on the ice doesn't reflect that. It reflects a team that isn't well prepared and thinks talent and reputation are going to be enough to win. This Yale game wasn't a situation where they just ran into a hot goalie or caught some bad bounces. Yale carried the play and outshot the Sioux in every period.

I'd be curious to know what kind of actual game planning Hakstol does for some of these games. Admittedly I have no idea, because I'm not in the locker room. But, the old cliche 'we need to play our game' is just that, a stupid cliche. You need to play the game that is going to give you the best opportunity to beat the team you're playing. There are different game plans for every opponent. I know it's difficult in the tournament with the time constraints and the uncertainity of who you'll be playing after the first game, but that isn't a good enough excuse to be unprepared.

My dream scenario would be for Blais to return, but I'm realistic and know that will never happen. If he were to ever leave UNO for another college team it would likely be MN. Outside of Hakstol leaving on his own accord, I think we are many years away from UND potentially making a change.

• Upvote 1

In recent years und has had more top end NHL talent and their teams have more draft picks....I'm confused?

I'm not going back to find it, but this topic came up in a thread a few weeks ago. I went back and looked. There were more Boston College players in the NHL each of the last several years than UND. There were several other schools that had more players, or about the same number of players, in the NHL. I believe that Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin were on that list that often had more players in the NHL than UND. Denver, Boston University, Michigan State and Colorado College also ranked right up there. UND has a great reputation that is well deserved. But UND is not the only school that sends a lot of players to the pros. This image that some UND fans have, that UND has a huge talent advantage over all the other schools, is false. Some years it might be true. But overall, UND is in a group with several other schools that all send a lot of players to the NHL.