SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament

I know the two-class debate has been beaten to death and they're never going back to one class. Having said that, I wonder if the legislative authors of the bill that required a two-class system would look at this year's single-A field and have any regrets about what they did? Four of the eight teams are private schools. The two-class system was supposed to open up opportunities for smaller schools that otherwise wouldn't have a chance to make it to the state tournament. I doubt those legislators envisioned that single-A would almost become a private school tournament.

I cringe when the private schools win it. I'd love to see a school like East Grand win it, but nobody has a chance against St. Thomas this year.

I have an idea. All private schools be required to play AA. Or have a section of just private school teams in each division.

• Upvote 1

I cringe when the private schools win it. I'd love to see a school like East Grand win it, but nobody has a chance against St. Thomas this year.

I have an idea. All private schools be required to play AA. Or have a section of just private school teams in each division.

I didn't hear any complaints over Benilde winning the AA tournament last year...

Kudos to Roseau for playing AA year after year, state tournament or no state tournament.

St. Thomas is one of if not the best teams in Minnesota regardless of class. They have beaten Hill-Murray, Edina, Benilde, Shattuck, Breck(2) to name a few. There only losses came to Hill-Murray and Minnetonka. They will be just fine in AA next year and no I am not a fan of them.

The reason people don't like private schools winning tournaments is that private schools can pick and choose their students (athletes and otherwise), while public schools have to accept everybody. Sure, open enrollment helps even this out to a certain extent, but it's definitely not the same as being able to include and exclude students using your own hand-picked criteria. Having private schools in AA is one possible solution. So is having an all-private school division with it's own tournament (if there are enough schools for that). Either one would be better than what we have now. If you can pick out the eventual winner of the tournament, how much fun is that for the kids?

STA may be one of the best teams regardless of class but if EGF gets good goaltending they can definitely play with them. EGF actually matches up pretty well with STA and I see a very close game between the two tomorrow afternoon and wouldn't be suprised to see EGF win. I am glad STA will be moving to AA but they should take a team like Breck with them. I know a lot of people hate the private schools regardless of class but I really don't mind them in AA. I actually like Hill-Murray(maybe because they are Sioux colors) and don't mind some others that play AA but I have no respect for a team like STA and Breck when they should have moved to AA years ago but their administrators dragged their feet until it was so obvious to everyone that they had no choice but to move up.

We had two state tournament records broken today in an earlier game between Duluth Marshall and Marshall. Duluth Marshall beat Marshall 4-1 in the consolation bracket game, but Junior Mason Campion of MHS stopped 58 of 62 shots. He set a record in most regulation saves (58) and most saves in a period (28 in 2nd), he fell 7 shots short of tying the most stops in a game state record. Although they didn't get a win in their first appearance, they didn't get their butts kicked like usual teams that come out of 3A.

Any one want to take a guess who held the old record for regulation saves in a game? I'll give you a hint, he reallly loves North Dakota :whistling:

Second question, who hold the record for stop in a state tournament game?

Yeah, they might take home their eighth runner-up trophy. :p

Looks like they lost 1-0 in their opener today, so the best they could do is Consolation (5th). Wouldn't they have to win 2 games, then lose in the Championship game to be the runner-up? :)

Any one want to take a guess who held the old record for regulation saves in a game? I'll give you a hint, he reallly loves North Dakota :whistling:

Do tell.

My guess: Kevin Gorg. (He has to have some claim to fame because he's got a face for radio and a voice for print media.)

Do tell.

My guess: Kevin Gorg. (He has to have some claim to fame because he's got a face for radio and a voice for print media.)

Sorry, its not Gorg. Its a more recent record within 10 years (the old record was set in 2005), but you are on track with the Gopher referrence

St. Thomas is one of if not the best teams in Minnesota regardless of class. They have beaten Hill-Murray, Edina, Benilde, Shattuck, Breck(2) to name a few. There only losses came to Hill-Murray and Minnetonka. They will be just fine in AA next year and no I am not a fan of them.

Which is EXACTLY why they should be playing AA right now. The 'little school' argument doesn't carry any weight when you consistently play the heavy hitters of AA, then wuss out come playoff time.