SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Track and Field

Teeder11

I see our teams are breaking "UND" or "personal" records left and right, based on the headlines on UNDsports.com. This is all fine and good, I guess, when you consider our caliber of athlete must be improving. But, when you consider that when one of ours breaks a "UND" record, they're still finishing in 7th or 8th place sometimes against the other Big Sky competition, it shows we have a ways to go.

It will be nice when we start seeing some headlines about breaking conference records. Go UND!

• Upvote 1

Yes, Big Sky has 9 (if you count Idaho) mens teams in the regional rankings. Not bad for a mid major conference. Not sure how evenly distributed the teams are across the different regions.. Big Sky has teams ranked in the West and Mountain region with Big 12/Pac 12 schools. I assume UND would be in the Midwest Region. UNA/Mont St and Sac St appear to have very good teams on the mens side:

Sac St - 10 in the West region

NAU - 4 in the Moutain region

http://www.ustfccca.org/assets/rankings/div1/2013-itf/NCAAD1_2013_indWk5_TF_RegionalIndexTop15.pdf

I see our teams are breaking "UND" or "personal" records left and right, based on the headlines on UNDsports.com. This is all fine and good, I guess, when you consider our caliber of athlete must be improving. But, when you consider that when one of ours breaks a "UND" record, they're still finishing in 7th or 8th place sometimes against the other Big Sky competition, it shows we have a ways to go.

It will be nice when we start seeing some headlines about breaking conference records. Go UND!

Your track teams have been poor for ever so why would you expect anything different.
  • Downvote 1

Because I'm a fan. Why wouldn't I? Is there something you don't get about being a fan of something? You don't necessarily have to check your realist card at the door but you also don't have to give up on being an eternal optimist and a glass half full guy. It's what make life fun and bearable. I do that because I don't very much enjoy going over to other people's yards and shitting on their parade. And besides where in my post did I display any sort incredulous statement about how bad our track team might be? I thought I was being quite realistic and honest about things, especially for a homer like me. I thought I made it pretty obvious that I was well aware of the current state of affairs, and that I only HOPE things might be starting to turn around.

I agree good for you schools need good fans that support programs, but look at the history of your track program why would you think things would improve?

I agree good for you schools need good fans that support programs, but look at the history of your track program why would you think things would improve?

Recently hired a new coach and raising funds for a IPF which could lead to changes in the near future.

I said I HOPE we will. That is what fans do. I'm not one to give up too easily. Did we give up when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor -- No! Hell No! :)

• 1 month later...

I feel like the staff needs to be given a little bit of time to change the roster to their recruits and change the programs culture. If you look at most of the individual points, they were scored by freshman or people who have massively improved under the new leadership. I would also point out if you look at the freshman at UND vs the freshman at NDSU they are fairly evenly matched in quality, maybe not depth, but that would be expected when one program has been D1 for longer, with the same staff, a competition facility and the history of NDSU. Also contrary to BisonDan's opinion the Slummit League is beyond weak when it comes to track (and soon may not even sponsor men's track). Many of the marks that scored in the Slummit would not have made finals and some would not even have made the Big Sky meet. It is a different world for UND compared to the other Dakota schools...but last and 2nd to last still seems fairly weak.

I feel like the staff needs to be given a little bit of time to change the roster to their recruits and change the programs culture. If you look at most of the individual points, they were scored by freshman or people who have massively improved under the new leadership. I would also point out if you look at the freshman at UND vs the freshman at NDSU they are fairly evenly matched in quality, maybe not depth, but that would be expected when one program has been D1 for longer, with the same staff, a competition facility and the history of NDSU. Also contrary to BisonDan's opinion the Slummit League is beyond weak when it comes to track (and soon may not even sponsor men's track). Many of the marks that scored in the Slummit would not have made finals and some would not even have made the Big Sky meet. It is a different world for UND compared to the other Dakota schools...but last and 2nd to last still seems fairly weak.

Which planet are you from?

It won't hurt when the IPF gets done (assuming it is starting in May like has been discussed), and we have one of the nicest indoor tracks in the country along with one of the only 300 meter indoor tracks will be a nice shot in the arm for the program. Also, being in a competitive track conference will also be a nice recruiting pitch.

NDSU is a force in track in the area. UND is not.

Still important to support the school of your choice and hope for improvements, agree with that of course.

Didn't UND beat NDSU in some kind of a track meet last year? I could be wrong but if somebody knows let us know.

I don't believe so. Johnny Boy is right that NDSU has been good for many years in T&F. UND will be closing that gap with new coaching and the new IPF coming on line.

Which planet are you from?

I am from the planet earth, where implements are the same at different meets and where distances and times are standardized so you can compare across different meets etc. Look at the Big Sky list vs the Summit League List, here I will help Big Sky http://www.tfrrs.org/lists/1081.html vs Summit League http://www.tfrrs.org/lists/1100.html. Pick an event, any event, look at the top 3 times or distances and 9 times out of 10 the Big Sky is more challenging. The Big Sky also requires you to qualify to the conference meet, and many of the marks that NDSU achieved during the year would not have met those qualifiers...learn about the difference between conferences before you make arbitrary disrespectful statements. Thanks!

NDSU is good, far better than UND, but they could not compete with NAU, Sac State, MSU Men, or Portland State women. Sorry Dan!

• 3 weeks later...

I am from the planet earth, where implements are the same at different meets and where distances and times are standardized so you can compare across different meets etc. Look at the Big Sky list vs the Summit League List, here I will help Big Sky http://www.tfrrs.org/lists/1081.html vs Summit League http://www.tfrrs.org...100.html. Pick an event, any event, look at the top 3 times or distances and 9 times out of 10 the Big Sky is more challenging. The Big Sky also requires you to qualify to the conference meet, and many of the marks that NDSU achieved during the year would not have met those qualifiers...learn about the difference between conferences before you make arbitrary disrespectful statements. Thanks!

NDSU is good, far better than UND, but they could not compete with NAU, Sac State, MSU Men, or Portland State women. Sorry Dan!

So funny - lets see our womens team is 6th in our region - ahead of a lot of BIG12 and B1G teams. With Morgan Milbrath from Minot turning down NU and MN and joining the Bison next year, the team will be better. Nice to cherry pick some events - how about the womens vault - I think the Summit winner was 2 feet higher. How's that for cherry picking events.

I follow Big Sky TF because I have family running for ISU and I would say that Sac St. is the class of either conference. NDSU has a nice program but they would be in a battle for second with NAU. After those three programs, it would be extremely close with UM, ISU, WSU, MSU, SUU and USD. The Big Sky is a much deeper/competitive conference. I am looking forward to seeing if being in a conference like the Big Sky with the IPF can help improve UND T/F.

• 2 weeks later...

Nowhere in my post did I state any particular event...I said 9/10 times actually. So congrats on picking the 10th event, but let's reexamine your choice. Yes the winner was better, far better, she is one of the best in the NCAA. In order to score in the Summit you had to jump 3.48m, that would have been in a 4 way tie for 12th at the Big Sky meet (based on bar progression). That also would land you 16th on the Big Sky performance list...congrats on being the last person into the conference meet. There are studs in every conference in certain events and with Derek Miles as your pole vault coach at USD there will always be good vaulters there. But again event by event the depth belongs to the Big Sky and usually so does the top mark. You will not win this argument, as I am not arguing UND is better than NDSU, cause that is ludicrous, but the SLUMmit league is BAD! One of the worst in Division 1, especially on the men's side where it is down to 6 teams next year. You had better win that league every year with nearly full funding, a new facility and one of the best staffs in the Midwest. UND is getting better and is starting to win head to head battles in certain areas on a regular basis...in time the programs may balance out but it could be NDSU winning the summit and UND being 4th in the Big Sky. Probably not going to happen without the new facility and some increases in support at UND from administration.

So funny - lets see our womens team is 6th in our region - ahead of a lot of BIG12 and B1G teams. With Morgan Milbrath from Minot turning down NU and MN and joining the Bison next year, the team will be better. Nice to cherry pick some events - how about the womens vault - I think the Summit winner was 2 feet higher. How's that for cherry picking events.

• 4 years later...
30 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Track and Field,  I know the parents of one of the laddies and one recruit is my nephew. Go Fighting Hawks!

Five prep standouts commit to track program

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=211687332

Wolf was a nice get. All region or state in 3 different sports and jumped 6'8 already. Impressive kid

• Like 1