Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jimdahl

Indian nicknames in the news

Recommended Posts

It is a pity that UND was not able to fine that bridge between honoring its own traditions (Sioux - related) and those of the people whose name we were using (Sioux - actually).  I really miss all things Sioux that came with football, basketball, and hockey, but perfect hindsight shows us that we missed an opportunity when Native American groups brought up the name issue and instead of asking how we could incorporate and make it an actual honor we reacted defensively and either ignored them, dismissed them, or derided them for being so easily offended.  When it became apparent that the nickname was in jeopardy efforts were made (the Shawn Walsh tribute, the Kibble tribute, and other gestures that Coach Glas tried at basketball games), but it was too late.  I still refer to UND as the Sioux, but have accepted that it is part of the past and it is the UNIVERSITY that I support, by whatever name.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2020 at 5:15 PM, Northcountry said:

It is a pity that UND was not able to fine that bridge between honoring its own traditions (Sioux - related) and those of the people whose name we were using (Sioux - actually).  I really miss all things Sioux that came with football, basketball, and hockey, but perfect hindsight shows us that we missed an opportunity when Native American groups brought up the name issue and instead of asking how we could incorporate and make it an actual honor we reacted defensively and either ignored them, dismissed them, or derided them for being so easily offended.  When it became apparent that the nickname was in jeopardy efforts were made (the Shawn Walsh tribute, the Kibble tribute, and other gestures that Coach Glas tried at basketball games), but it was too late.  I still refer to UND as the Sioux, but have accepted that it is part of the past and it is the UNIVERSITY that I support, by whatever name.  

Agreed. When Miles Brand and the NCAA came up with that policy I believe there were 19 schools involved. All of them had their instance resolved within 6 months. UND was the only one that stretched it out .Most of the schools got approval from the local tribe and some made concessions (i.e. removing icons/mascots). I think a couple did change their nicknames voluntarily. I was surprised some kind of agreement wasn't reached as well. Maybe it came down to financial and the leadership of the tribe was too stubborn and asked for too much money. I don't expect it will ever fully go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Berkeley....if you don't like the results, keep polling until you do.   

When I asked a N/A friend what he thought about this issue he said he had no issue with it. They had had a respectful relationship with FSU for many years. Then I asked about those making a stink.  He said those that are making a stink about it do so because they can.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bison73 said:

When I asked a N/A friend what he thought about this issue he said he had no issue with it. They had had a respectful relationship with FSU for many years. Then I asked about those making a stink.  He said those that are making a stink about it do so because they can.

that about sums it up from the beginning,  it's the idea of a small vocal minority that the names are offensive.   Along with woke white people.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

that about sums it up from the beginning,  it's the idea of a small vocal minority that the names are offensive.   Along with woke white people.    

The use of the word 'woke' just gets me.  (BTW,  you used it in perfect context)  It's a combination of the impact of Social Media, slang and the dumbing down of America rolled up into one really awesome ;) expression...end of rant.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 3:08 PM, Blackheart said:

The use of the word 'woke' just gets me.  (BTW,  you used it in perfect context)  It's a combination of the impact of Social Media, slang and the dumbing down of America rolled up into one really awesome ;) expression...end of rant.

They think it means they suddenly have enlightenment and clarity.

It really means they've been sleep-walking through life (translated: living off of someone else's works) until now. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...