SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

The article linked below got me to thinking - in the article it says:

David Grosso suggested the team change its name to "Redtails" in honor of the Tuskegee Airmen, a pioneering group of African-American pilots who served the United States in World War II.

If we look at the Fighting Sioux name - it was used to honor Native Americans, however we were told that it was derogatory to Native Americans by using their name as a school's moniker. David Grosso suggests to use the "Redtails" to honor the Tuskegee Airmen. Why would that be "honoring" them and not derogatory to use them as a moniker for a pro football team?

Pol calls for Redskins name change

The article linked below got me to thinking - in the article it says:

If we look at the Fighting Sioux name - it was used to honor Native Americans, however we were told that it was derogatory to Native Americans by using their name as a school's moniker. David Grosso suggests to use the "Redtails" to honor the Tuskegee Airmen. Why would that be "honoring" them and not derogatory to use them as a moniker for a pro football team?

Pol calls for Redskins name change

Because the NCAA only cares about NA names not other ethnic groups. They didn't touch Vikings, Fighting Irish, Dutchmen, etc.

• 1 month later...

Beware of zealots who start small

There’s a move on to prohibit Washington’s football team from calling itself “Redskins,” even though a 2009 U.S. Supreme Court decision said that it has that right. Now the name change advocates are turning to the political arena and intimidation.

The NCAA has already banned the University of North Dakota from calling its football team the “Fighting Sioux.”

This is the classic method of busybodies and tyrants; they start out with something trivial or small and then

magnify and extend it. If these people are successful in banning the use of Indian names for football teams, you can bet the rent money that won’t end their agenda.

The only way that the Washington Redskins will change their name is if the NFL forces them to, presumably by threatening to revoke the franchise from the owner if he doesn't change it. I am pretty certain that would take a vote of the other owners and I don't think that the votes are there right now. But if this becomes a PR problem for the league (and the NFL is very image conscious), it might persuade the other owners that don't have Indian-based nicknames (Redskins, Chiefs) to consider implementing a policy like the NCAA has done. That is why small protest movements like the one talked about here have to be taken seriously and not laughed off. I think it will take another 10 years, but it could become plausible by that point. I hope it doesn't happen, but don't assume it won't.

The only way that the Washington Redskins will change their name is if the NFL forces them to, presumably by threatening to revoke the franchise from the owner if he doesn't change it. I am pretty certain that would take a vote of the other owners and I don't think that the votes are there right now. But if this becomes a PR problem for the league (and the NFL is very image conscious), it might persuade the other owners that don't have Indian-based nicknames (Redskins, Chiefs) to consider implementing a policy like the NCAA has done. That is why small protest movements like the one talked about here have to be taken seriously and not laughed off. I think it will take another 10 years, but it could become plausible by that point. I hope it doesn't happen, but don't assume it won't.

If the NFL does tell the Redskins/Chiefs to change their name, the rest of major sports may do the same. Indians/Braves, Blackhawks, (strangely enough there is no Indian nicknames in the NBA as Golden State uses a knight as their Warrior logo (which I think UND should do). With those sports always looking for the $$$$$ in merchandising there is no way they will change their names. (as an Indians fan I would be pissed if Cleveland got rid of Chief Wahoo).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why Slate will no longer refer to Washington’s NFL team as the Redskins.

Though they're quick to acknowledge it's more symbolic than meaningful...

Why are we joining Washington City Paper and Gregg Easterbrook and writers from the Buffalo News and the Philadelphia Daily News? We’re a national, general-interest magazine, not the Washington Post or ESPN. Our coverage is sporadic, and I doubt that Dan Snyder or Roger Goodell have Google alerts for our NFL stories. When we stop using the name Redskins, hardly anyone will notice.

The Post is—along with ESPN and the other NFL broadcasters—one of the only institutions that could bring genuine pressure on Snyder to drop the name. But it’s only fair to acknowledge that it’s a much more difficult decision for the newspaper than it is for us, given that covering Dan Snyder’s team is essential to the Post’s editorial mission.

Why Slate will no longer refer to Washington’s NFL team as the Redskins.

Though they're quick to acknowledge it's more symbolic than meaningful...

In two related stories, due to the number of shark attacks in the news recently, Slate will also start referring to the hockey team in San Jose as just 'San Jose' and since one of Slate's editors had a grandpa killed by a bucking bronco, Denver's football team will now just be 'Denver' or 'that team Peyton Manning plays for'.

• 4 weeks later...

http://nfl.si.com/20...t2_a3&eref=sihp

So according to Roger Goodell now, we're back to the standard of 'if something offends ONE person, it must be examined...'. Great.

In this day and age, not surprised. "Offends one..." People have taken the fact that they have "rights" to an illogical extreme as to basically trash this country from using any common sense.

On side note, my kids are in the midst of homecoming week at school. Yesterday was costume day. According to my daughter, one boy came to school as a knight in shining armor and quickly had his plastic sword taken away as it was deemed a weapon. :sad:

By the way, I'm offended by PC zealots and idiots in general...

In this day and age, not surprised. "Offends one..." People have taken the fact that they have "rights" to an illogical extreme as to basically trash this country from using any common sense.

On side note, my kids are in the midst of homecoming week at school. Yesterday was costume day. According to my daughter, one boy came to school as a knight in shining armor and quickly had his plastic sword taken away as it was deemed a weapon. :sad:

By the way, I'm offended by PC zealots and idiots in general...

NDSU having the Bison offends me, so they should change their name back to the Farmers.

http://nfl.si.com/20...t2_a3&eref=sihp

So according to Roger Goodell now, we're back to the standard of 'if something offends ONE person, it must be examined...'. Great.

Even as the outcry against the Redskins name continues to grow, Goodell did insist in his Wednesday interview with The Fan that Snyder still holds all the cards here.

“Ultimately, it is Dan’s decision,” Goodell said. “But it is something that I want all of us to go out and make sure we’re listening to our fans, listening to people who have a different view, and making sure that we continue to do what’s right to make sure that team represents the strong tradition that it has for so many years.”

So its all up to Dan since his team is a "member" of the NFL. The ND SBoHE is running (owns) UND a "member" of the NCAA. How the hell does that work??

So its all up to Dan since his team is a "member" of the NFL. The ND SBoHE is running (owns) UND a "member" of the NCAA. How the hell does that work??

Are the NFL and the NCAA related in any way? Do they work the same in any other way? They are different types of organizations. They can make different decisions based on different criteria.

The NCAA made rules, which they were legally allowed to do. The NFL may be able to do something more on the subject if they chose, I'm not sure what their limits might be. But so far they have chosen to let Washington make their own decision. That may or may not change in the future. And the NCAA has absolutely no control over the NFL, so their policy has no bearing at all on the NFL policy.