SiouxSports.com Forum

Why cant UND have a new nickname yet?

WILDCAT

Not wanting a nickname reminds me of some little brat angry that they didn't get the sprinkles on the ice cream they wanted, so they lay on the floor kicking and screaming for attention.

Time for some "fans" to grow up.

Same old cast and story here. This thread is like a bad movie sequel that tells the same tired story as the previous one. Same old bullies telling everyone to "grow up" or you don't know what your talking about or even better you care more about the name then the university. Fact is there are more people wanting no nickname than there are people that can agree on a nickname. If no nickname is one of the three that is voted on it will be a landslide victory!

Slam away....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Same old cast and story here. This thread is like a bad movie sequel that tells the same tired story as the previous one. Same old bullies telling everyone to "grow up" or you don't know what your talking about or even better you care more about the name then the university. Fact is there are more people wanting no nickname than there are people that can agree on a nickname. If no nickname is one of the three that is voted on it will be a landslide victory!

Slam away....

I agree with you

• 2 weeks later...

The two ideas I will never support is to go without a nickname or to adapt Roughriders.      The agreement with the NCAA requires of to adopt on and also the merchandising aspect is huge for a new name.    It's just time to move on and a new name is a good start.

As to the Roughriders, it really has no connection to UND and more importantly, it's wrong to copt  a name that belongs to a local high school.   My first choices would be either Nokota or North Stars.   Both are bold names and make a statement about who we are.

• Downvote 2

The two ideas I will never support is to go without a nickname or to adapt Roughriders. The agreement with the NCAA requires of to adopt on and also the merchandising aspect is huge for a new name. It's just time to move on and a new name is a good start.

As to the Roughriders, it really has no connection to UND and more importantly, it's wrong to copt a name that belongs to a local high school. My first choices would be either Nokota or North Stars. Both are bold names and make a statement about who we are.

I like this

Still don't know why flickertails is not viewed in a positive light.

Unique, tied to the region, cute little animal.

For the same reason UND is not considering "Buffalos". It's a little too close to something else nearby. 

The two ideas I will never support is to go without a nickname or to adapt Roughriders.      The agreement with the NCAA requires of to adopt on and also the merchandising aspect is huge for a new name.    It's just time to move on and a new name is a good start.

As to the Roughriders, it really has no connection to UND and more importantly, it's wrong to copt  a name that belongs to a local high school.   My first choices would be either Nokota or North Stars.   Both are bold names and make a statement about who we are.

North Stars is one of the state nicknames of a bordering state.  The fact that this option continues to get play here is preposterous to me.  

North Stars is one of the state nicknames of a bordering state.  The fact that this option continues to get play here is preposterous to me.  

L'etoille du Nord? French for "North Star"? Where have I seen that? Oh yeah ... the Minnesota state seal, in the middle of the Minnesota state flag. 

mnseal.gif

• Upvote 1

L'etoille du Nord? French for "North Star"? Where have I seen that? Oh yeah ... the Minnesota state seal, in the middle of the Minnesota state flag. 

mnseal.gif

Lets see, Roughriders, where have I seen that?   Oh yea, it's the name of Red River High School in Grand Forks.   Yet, that idea gets play also.

Lets see, Roughriders, where have I seen that?   Oh yea, it's the name of Red River High School in Grand Forks.   Yet, that idea gets play also.

So you never get out to the capitol in Bismarck to take a stroll through the North Dakota Theodore Roosevelt Rough Riders Hall of Fame?

Some guy named "Thomas J. Clifford" is enshrined in it as is some basketball hack named "Phil Jackson" and some hockey puck named "Clifford 'Fido' Purpur", and Era Bell Thompson, Gen. David C. Jones, Judge Ronald N. Davies*, Carl Ben Eielson*, William C. Marcil, Gerald W. VandeWalle ... 

*I love that Fargo Public Schools has to pick UND (not NDSU) grads to name buildings after. 

Drop the "North" and go with just plain "Stars".  It would work with our colors and it shouldn't be offensive to anyone.

Other names I like are Oilers, Aviators, Predators (the warplane, not the animal), Jets (with a much different logo than Winnipeg), Flyers and Raptors.

Are any of them as good as Fighting Sioux?  No.  Are they better than nothing? Yes.  Am I ready for this whole tired, sorry affair to be over?  Heck Yes.

• Upvote 1

Seriously having Kelley pick a new name is bull$%!#.  He has no ties to the area and when his term is done, he's bye-bye and could care less.  I grew up in Grand Forks and have an investment in UND.  Let's just leave it North Dakota.  The bottom line is:  Seminoles not hostile and abusive, Sioux hostile and abusive, bull$%!#!  UND will always be the Fighting Sioux in my book.  Sorry Hayduke did you graduate from the Ag?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Seriously having Kelley pick a new name is bull$%!#.  He has no ties to the area and when his term is done, he's bye-bye and could care less.  I grew up in Grand Forks and have an investment in UND.  Let's just leave it North Dakota.  The bottom line is:  Seminoles not hostile and abusive, Sioux hostile and abusive, bull$%!#!  UND will always be the Fighting Sioux in my book.  Sorry Hayduke did you graduate from the Ag?

Questioning the loyalty of a fellow poster is not cool. ???

Is the thought that this will be done and implemented by the new academic year?  The new fiscal year (7/1)??

I think the goal has been to have a new name selected by 7/1.  I have heard concerns about whether that is enough time to make sure they get it right.  But it isn't enough time to get a name chosen plus get a logo done so I don't think it would be implemented by 7/1.  It definitely isn't time to get new names and logos on all of the uniforms.  I would expect full implementation at some point in the next year.