SiouxSports.com Forum

Why cant UND have a new nickname yet?

WILDCAT

Going with no nickname is probably what most old schoolers would go for but it is very limiting when it comes to generating income to the school from shirts and other items. Anyone can slap North Dakota on something and sell it.

Now UND could develop a special North Dakota typestyle or logo-type word and protect that but they can't stop anyone from printing North Dakota. Thus the reason they might move toward a new nickname.

Unfortunately they could continue to make millions off of Fighting Sioux as an historic icon but the NCAA won't allow it. They do have to figure out some way to use Fighting Sioux in the public entity in order to protect it however. I'm sure they have that one figured out already.

And lets see how many people buy that jersey, I sure as hell am not!!

Just like no one is going to buy the new "North Dakota" jerseys with no logo on them.

If you are a fan of the University, you are going to cheer for the nickname that they have. Not because you are forgetting the past and the Fighting Sioux name, but because you support the school and its players. Future players will be known as the University of North Dakota _________, not the Fighting Sioux. It is still OK to wear your Fighting Sioux apparel for as long as you want. No one is stopping you. But as a supporter of this University and its athletics teams, I will cheer them on by whatever neame they choose to be known as.

• Upvote 2

I'm guessing the NCAA is OK with us not having a nickname somewhat because of the 2015 requirement from the legislature. If we go too far beyond 2015 without a nickname I'm guessing we'll get a call from the NCAA but that's just my guess.

I don't mind not having a nickname for now. Most people still call them the Fighting Sioux

But as a supporter of this University and its athletics teams, I will cheer them on by whatever neame they choose to be known as.

Not supporting the name change does not mean, for the majority of us, that we do not support UND and the athletic programs. I personally hate the loss of the name and logo and will not wear anything but the Sioux name and logo at sports events. The way I see it when l graduated, we were the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux and it will always be that for me. But, the University of North Dakota and our athletic programs still get my support and my money.

A bit like still being an alumna of Chicago's St. Michael's High School for Girls even though the school no longer exists.

In the ncaa's agreement, it is a requirement that a new nickname is selected, within given timeframe as I understand it. School will not be allowed to continue indefinitely without a new nickname per ncaa policy and legal agreement. While many would like to stay without a nickname, that isn't a long range option.

In the ncaa's agreement, it is a requirement that a new nickname is selected, within given timeframe as I understand it. School will not be allowed to continue indefinitely without a new nickname per ncaa policy and legal agreement. While many would like to stay without a nickname, that isn't a long range option.

Once again, here is what the actual agreement says:

"If UND does not adopt a new nickname and logo or if the transition to a new nickname and logo is not completed prior to August 15, 2011, then UND will be returned to the list of institutions subject to the Policy."

As I have stated, it is certainly reasonable to look at this clause and interpret it in a way that dropping the Fighting Sioux nickname is not good enough to comply with the agreement and UND must affirmatively adopt a new nickname in order to be in compliance with the agreement. However, the deadline has come and gone and UND has not adopted a new nickname or logo. Yet, the NCAA has specifically removed UND from the institutions subject to the Policy and has stated that UND is in full compliance. Therefore, the NCAA must not be strictly interpreting that clause to mean UND must adopt a new nickname and logo.

If there is some other agreement out there that sets a new deadline for UND to adopt a new nickname and logo, I've not heard of it. If you know what this new NCAA-imposed deadline is, please share.

Having said all that, I agree that UND will eventually adopt a new nickname. I just don't necessarily agree that it will be forced to adopt a new nickname by the NCAA.

• Upvote 1

The busy-bodies at BRIDGES will be actively lobbying for a new nickname; indeed, they already are. I'd love for them to just stay put though. Perhaps the Fighting Daks or something? In the MIAC, one has the Auggies, Johnnies, Tommies, Gusties, Oles, etc. SJU makes plenty of money from us alums by selling the "Johnnie" nickname. I'm sure the "Fighting Daks" would be parlayed into something like "Fighting Dicks" or something else. Might as well use "Dakotans" in there as that can't really be objected to by anyone even though there's still NA verbiage. "Fighting" Friends may be a bit strange but it would be better than being the 100th university to use "Huskies" or "Tigers" or some stupid weather phenomenon.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The state legislature got involved with the nickname issue (something that many of us wished never would have happened) in 2011. Becuase it was so controversial, when the the law requiring the name to stay was eventually repealed (and then re-instated, and then eventually voted out) part of the repeal was that the University let the issue of a new nickname rest untili 2015, a sort of cooling off period.

The NCAA doesn't care if we have a nickname or not, so long as it is not Indian related.

Since we can't have "Sioux" (or I should say, we risk our atheletic competetiveness with it), I think most fans are comfortable without a nickname right now.

Most fans are comfortable because then they're virtually still the Sioux. And I LOVE that.

• Upvote 3

• 6 months later...

We probably should drop the name Dakota from the name too since it referes to Indians.

But seriously, what galls me the most is that the NCAA has pet schools that are allowed to keep their Indian names (Central Michigan Chippewa, FSU Seminoles, etc) and look the other way at the nasty way the fans chant, tomahawk, or the mascot dresses in racist gear; something UND or its fans ever did.

Make us change our name, fine. But have the same damn rule for every school then.

As crazy as this whole process has been, just imagine what might have been if the NDSU football team had been involved in forging signatures on the petition drive to put it to a vote of the ND population. That would have taken all of this to a whole new level.

We probably should drop the name Dakota from the name too since it referes to Indians.

But seriously, what galls me the most is that the NCAA has pet schools that are allowed to keep their Indian names (Central Michigan Chippewa, FSU Seminoles, etc) and look the other way at the nasty way the fans chant, tomahawk, or the mascot dresses in racist gear; something UND or its fans ever did.

Make us change our name, fine. But have the same damn rule for every school then.

Although UND has never taken it to the level of Florida State with the imagery and callousness nature of the use of Native American symbols, we did at one time have "Sammy Sioux". If they would have kept that cartoonish image, I would have been first in line for nickname repeal.

• 1 year later...

http://www.inforum.com/news/legislature/3651834-bill-aims-delay-und-nickname-selection-until-2017

Seriously? What is going to change from now until 2017? Pick a name already.

Doesn't the ND Legislature have enough on its plate right now?  Oh that's right, I forgot, this is the Legislature.  Common sense doesn't apply. :silly:  :angry:

• 3 months later...

Does the University of North Dakota really need a nickname? Do you really know the nicknames of other schools & does it really matter if they have a nickname. Most people don't know the nicknames anyhow. Ask your friends & family if they know the nicknames of the schools that we play in sports, especially hockey. I have been doing this & I am not surprised that people don't know the nicknames of the schools.

Without looking on the internet & not commenting, can you name the
...nicknames of the schools....

Denver
Colorado College
Omaha
Providence - they just won the frozen four & still didn't know
Ohio State
Penn State
St Cloud
Duluth
Miami of Ohio
RIT
Boston University
Boston College
Michigan State
Michigan
Mankato State
Michigan Tech

But if you ask they will know that it is Minnesota Gophers, Wisconsin Badgers & of course North Dakota Fighting Sioux.

Share this with others not from UND & you might be surprised at the results. Of course I might be surprised at the people who do know them. But my point is when we play these teams you don't ever hear anyone say we are playing the Bulldogs, no we are playing Duluth. So what is the real reason for a nickname? I would like someone to explain that to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Does the University of North Dakota really need a nickname? Do you really know the nicknames of other schools & does it really matter if they have a nickname. Most people don't know the nicknames anyhow. Ask your friends & family if they know the nicknames of the schools that we play in sports, especially hockey. I have been doing this & I am not surprised that people don't know the nicknames of the schools.

Denver

Colorado College

Omaha

Ohio State

Penn State

St Cloud

Duluth

Miami of Ohio

RIT

Boston University

Boston College

Michigan State

Michigan

Mankato State

Michigan Tech

But if you ask they will know that it is Minnesota Gophers, Wisconsin Badgers & of course North Dakota Fighting Sioux.

Share this with others not from UND & you might be surprised at the results. Of course I might be surprised at the people who do know them. But my point is when we play these teams you don't ever hear anyone say we are playing the Bulldogs, no we are playing Duluth. So what is the real reason for a nickname? I would like someone to explain that to me.

Wow, Gramps.  Most armchair sports fans can knock out 95% or more of those.  Those are all either regional rivals or top flight national powers.

Only one I can't pull out is RIT.

Denver

Colorado College

Omaha

Ohio State

Penn State

St Cloud

Duluth

Miami of Ohio

RIT

Boston University

Boston College

Michigan State

Michigan

Mankato State

Michigan Tech

The nicknames are used constantly.  ESPN uses them all of the time for highlights.  Newspapers use them constantly in articles and headlines.  They are used during play-by-play and when announcing the action during play at the games.  Either you're trolling or you haven't been paying attention.  Most people know the nicknames of most teams they see on a regular basis, plus the nicknames of most large schools.  I'm with Noise, the only one that didn't come to me right away from your list was RIT.

I am aware that ESPN does use the nicknames all the time, but is that the reason for us getting a nickname, so the announcers have something to call us. As I was watching the Frozen Four & they congratulated Providence they called them the Terriers. I know that it wasn't ESPN, but still it was wrong.

Also in making my point, other than the announcers, who uses the nicknames. Do you say that the Pioneers are coming to play hockey this weekend or do you say Denver. I don't hear very many people using the nickname of Northern Arizona when they come to play football or basketball here. I guess one of my points was people know us as North Dakota just as we know our teams by their names, not nicknames.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am aware that ESPN does use the nicknames all the time, but is that the reason for us getting a nickname, so the announcers have something to call us. As I was watching the Frozen Four & they congratulated Providence they called them the Terriers. I know that it wasn't ESPN, but still it was wrong.

Also in making my point, other than the announcers, who uses the nicknames. Do you say that the Pioneers are coming to play hockey this weekend or do you say Denver. I don't hear very many people using the nickname of Northern Arizona when they come to play football or basketball here. I guess one of my points was people know us as North Dakota just as we know our teams by their names, not nicknames.

You're right. What were we thinking going with the "Fighting Sioux" for so many decades. Who knew? We should have dropped the nickname thing altogether when we had the chance after the Flickertails debacle. What boneheads we were. We were always North Dakota. Nuff said. We didn't need a nickname the whole time. You're genius! (Sarc) SMH.

• Upvote 1