SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 baseball

darell1976

Judging by the Forum article, once again Douple and UND seem to remember situations differently. Interesting.

Asked about UND and baseball affiliation with the Summit, Douple said it was “discussed among some members” but “(UND)hadn’t indicated anything.”

“I know they were looking for a home for baseball, that was obvious because they joined the Big Sky,” Douple said.

UND head coach Jeff Dodson, however, told the Grand Forks Herald newspaper, “We had applied for the Summit but I never heard anything personally from them.”

Douple said Northern Colorado was discussed more on a league-wide basis.

“One of the concerns with Northern Colorado was the distance. It scared some of our members to add them as an affiliate,” Douple said.

Unbelievable. You cannot make it up. They discussed and were scared of UNC because of distance and travel, and then basically showed no interest in adding UND.

Meanwhile, the theme of the article is the threat of Summit Baseball losing their autobid because of lack of league members.

And heaven forbid Kolpack call him on it for talking out of both sides of his mouth. Simply stupefying.

Unbelievable. You cannot make it up. They discussed and were scared of UNC because of distance and travel, and then basically showed no interest in adding UND And heaven forbid Kolpack call him on it for talking out of both sides of his mouth. Simply stupefying.

Meanwhile, the theme of the article is the threat of Summit Baseball losing their autobid because of lack of league members.

And heaven forbid Kolpack call him on it for talking out of both sides of his mouth. Simply stupefying.

From my understanding when they lose their baseball autobid they are going to lose every autobid cause they will no longer have enough men's team sports. Am I right on that?

You have to wonder about the character of Douple as well as his ability to do a good job for his conference. I am just glad he is not running the Big Sky conference. With schools leaving the Summit and the rumblings of more to leave, it might just have something to do with his leadership.

Looks to be a pretty solid core of talent on this team with Campbell and Thome as building blocks. Campbell looks poised to break school records in home runs at some point in his career and Thome exploded onto the scene last year putting up some of the best numbers in the country among freshman pitchers. Those guys alone are reason enough to head out to Kraft Field but there are plenty of other guys on the team who are a blast to watch. Can't wait for the season to start!

Looks to be a pretty solid core of talent on this team with Campbell and Thome as building blocks. Campbell looks poised to break school records in home runs at some point in his career and Thome exploded onto the scene last year putting up some of the best numbers in the country among freshman pitchers. Those guys alone are reason enough to head out to Kraft Field but there are plenty of other guys on the team who are a blast to watch. Can't wait for the season to start!

Agree. I believe that Thome and 3 of the other starting pitchers were freshmen, so if they're all back and continue to develop they could potentially be the strength of this team for the next three years. Thome was awesome the last half of last season. If we landed any strong freshmen recruits, this team could be pretty competitive going forward.

It is hard to believe that Douple wasn't all over UND to try to get them into the Summit for baseball when you look at how unstable the baseball situation is in the Summit.

Logically, yes it is hard to believe. Looking at the track record, it really isn't.

• Upvote 1

Is it common for a DI baseball program to lose to NAIA and DII schools?

Depends on how good the pitchers are. Kids go to school where they go for lots of different reasons, so may have one or two guys that have DI talent on a lower level team.

What do you have against baseball at UND?

It is a money pit. Worked better in the NCC when all the opponents were a short drive away. I love the sport of baseball, just don't think it is worth all the red ink it will bleed and be non-competetive at this level in this climate. Money better spent elsewhere..........

and now the baseball team gets to play in the WAC, where it's going to bleed more money.