SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL 2013

jodcon

If you're a little guy like Kessel and some cheap-shotting gigantic thug like Scott is trying to attack you, you will fend off the attack by any means neccessary. John Scott has nobody to blame but himself for having Kessel swing a stick at him. I do not condone stick swinging in the context in which McSorely did way back when, but in this case it is a very different situation. In a perfect world no player would ever swing a stick at anybody, but in a perfect world a big guy wouldn't tell a little guy he's going to jump him either. Bad situation all the way around, but any objective person would agree that there is plenty of blame to go around. I actually think Kessel should be suspended for a couple of regular season games, but at the same time I can understand the instinctive self-defense actions.

He probably wouldn't have gotten in trouble if he would have stopped after Scott hooked up with the other guy, it looks like he only hit his shin or skate the first time trying to keep him away, I think what doomed him was continuing after Scott was engaged with the other guy, that and the spear later. Either way, 3 preseason games seems a little weak.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to ruin the Kessel witchhunt with facts, but John Scott was the instigator. Kessel's quote:

"It was pretty stupid, right? He said he was going to jump me," Kessel said.

"What are you going to do? He's a big boy, so if he's coming after me, what are you going to do?"

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=400485548

"Yea, I know what to do. Rather than let my own team's enforcer help me out (as he was already doing) or drop the gloves myself, I'll take a few whacks at him with my stick when his back is turned away from me."

Yea, that's honorable...

If you're a little guy like Kessel and some cheap-shotting gigantic thug like Scott is trying to attack you, you will fend off the attack by any means neccessary. John Scott has nobody to blame but himself for having Kessel swing a stick at him. I do not condone stick swinging in the context in which McSorely did way back when, but in this case it is a very different situation. In a perfect world no player would ever swing a stick at anybody, but in a perfect world a big guy wouldn't tell a little guy he's going to jump him either. Bad situation all the way around, but any objective person would agree that there is plenty of blame to go around. I actually think Kessel should be suspended for a couple of regular season games, but at the same time I can understand the instinctive self-defense actions.

Breaking News - this just in...DaveK is back and he's as big a DOLT as ever!

#1 - If the Maple Leafs have an issue with John Scott going after Kessel, they may want to have a conversation with Jamie Devane about going after a smaller player, and let him know what the repercussions of that may be.

#2 - Ron Rolston (Sabres coach) got fined for "player selection and team conduct" from this incident. Lets go over the facts - John Scott was on the ice for the first fight (Jamie Devane vs Corey Tropp). Rolston did not send Scott on the ice after that fight. Again, he was already on the ice. Furthermore, the Maple Leafs were the home team with the last line change. Why the hell would Randy Carlysle send Kessel out after that? Can anyone please explain to me why Rolston would get fined here? So now the NHL is going to tell each team who they can and can't put on the ice and in what situations? I think the lesson here is that Brendan Shanahan is out of control and has no rationale for the punishments he levies out.

#3 - Please read #2 - Randy Carlysle sent Kessel's line out after the first fight. John Scott was on the ice for the first fight and remained on the ice for the next shift. Randy Carlysle is an idiot for doing so and has noone else to blame.

#4 - Apparently Phil Kessel believes that it's OK to take a homerun chop at an opposing player. Not only did he give John Scott a couple of hacks, but also just 6 days earlier he was involved in 2 stick swinging incidents against Philadelphia. He chops Luke Schenn TWICE and also Ben Holmstrom TWICE (starting at 0:45 of this video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71La4p97Tcw

So let's count - that makes 6 tomahawk chops on 3 different opponents in the span of 2 games (6 days apart), along with 1 spear. What a F'ing joker. And he gets suspended for 3 preseason games?

• Upvote 1

It isn't about being honorable, it's about self-defense. When the odds are stacked against you in a situation where you are potentially about to be assaulted...

Let's see...Phil was engaged in self-defense by whacking the calf of a player who was already engaged in a scrum with someone else. That's a very interesting definition of 'self-defense.'

• Upvote 1

What was your opinion of when Tim Thomas did it with a goalie stick?

1. To compare Thomas's chop on Burrows to what Kessel did is laughable.

2. When a player chops at a goalie, who are protected and should pretty much be untouchable, I have no problem with a goalie chopping back. Maybe you decided to ignore what Burrows did to bring that on.

3. You're trying to make this into a Bruin thing because I'm a Bruin fan and thinking that I'll defend the Bruins at all costs. If it was Brad Marchand who wound up on John Scott like that I would expect that he also would get a longer/tougher suspension. In fact, if you look at past posts I think you could find 1 or 2 where I didn't agree with something that a Bruin may have done.

4. Also, if it was Marty Brodeur, Jonathan Quick, Corey Crawford, etc. who did what Tim Thomas did I would also be saying the same thing as #1 and #2 above.

Furthermore, Kessel's stick swinging appeared to be more an act of keeping the beast at bay until order was restored...

By 'beast,' you mean the player who had his back turned to Kessel and who was already engaged in fisticuffs with another player at the time the back of his legs were being hacked at, right?

• Upvote 1

Kessel took him on Gofer style...skate away if you do not have superior numbers...once opponent is engaged with another player, feel free to jump in with a couple free shots...if you must engage 1on 1, a good slash or spear is always a good opening move, then quickly skate to the bench or behind your coach.

• Upvote 1

Kessel took him on Gofer style...skate away if you do not have superior numbers...once opponent is engaged with another player, feel free to jump in with a couple free shots...if you must engage 1on 1, a good slash or spear is always a good opening move, then quickly skate to the bench or behind your coach.

Don't forget choking from behind with a stick...signature move.

• Upvote 1

Minnesota gets to hunt some ducks tonight

Was at Wild game last night. No energy to start game...horrible start. Down 2-0 then fought back. Scandella was absolutely brutal. They sorely miss a playmaker like Cullen and the speed of Zucker. Dumba is as advertised.

I don't think the instigator is in question Dave, it's whacking guys from behind with sticks that is the issue, apparently there was another one later than the video showed too. Even if someone singles you out and is obviously the attacker they're not going to let you start swinging sticks.

This will be the second time I have ever agreed with Dave (the other being the nickname), I would have done the exact same thing as Phil. There is no room for Scott in the NHL, he's terrible and he is going to hurt someone real soon.

• Upvote 1

Breaking News - this just in...DaveK is back and he's as big a DOLT as ever!

#1 - If the Maple Leafs have an issue with John Scott going after Kessel, they may want to have a conversation with Jamie Devane about going after a smaller player, and let him know what the repercussions of that may be.

#2 - Ron Rolston (Sabres coach) got fined for "player selection and team conduct" from this incident. Lets go over the facts - John Scott was on the ice for the first fight (Jamie Devane vs Corey Tropp). Rolston did not send Scott on the ice after that fight. Again, he was already on the ice. Furthermore, the Maple Leafs were the home team with the last line change. Why the hell would Randy Carlysle send Kessel out after that? Can anyone please explain to me why Rolston would get fined here? So now the NHL is going to tell each team who they can and can't put on the ice and in what situations? I think the lesson here is that Brendan Shanahan is out of control and has no rationale for the punishments he levies out.

#3 - Please read #2 - Randy Carlysle sent Kessel's line out after the first fight. John Scott was on the ice for the first fight and remained on the ice for the next shift. Randy Carlysle is an idiot for doing so and has noone else to blame.

#4 - Apparently Phil Kessel believes that it's OK to take a homerun chop at an opposing player. Not only did he give John Scott a couple of hacks, but also just 6 days earlier he was involved in 2 stick swinging incidents against Philadelphia. He chops Luke Schenn TWICE and also Ben Holmstrom TWICE (starting at 0:45 of this video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71La4p97Tcw

So let's count - that makes 6 tomahawk chops on 3 different opponents in the span of 2 games (6 days apart), along with 1 spear. What a F'ing joker. And he gets suspended for 3 preseason games?

Did Devane go over Tropp? From my understanding it was a mutual fight.