SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

Love it! Go USA! Took it to the Canucks and sent them to a bronze medal game which is basically like taking last place north of the border! nice job Rocco and USA!! Lets go Michael phelps on the swedes and bring home that gold!

• Upvote 1

From someone with a strong Canadian background: just how big are world juniors up there? I have heard HUGE, bigger than NHL, anyone care to elaborate?

biggest thing going on usually especially with no NHL. I'm guessing the tv ratings in Canada are off the charts

From someone with a strong Canadian background: just how big are world juniors up there? I have heard HUGE, bigger than NHL, anyone care to elaborate?

It is huge. What makes it a much bigger deal is many Canadians seem to believe that it is their sole right to win it every year. There will be great national discussion of Canadian youth hockey and what has gone wrong with the Canadian system. In reading some of the comments on TSN (and there are many pages) many seem to imply that politics is an ingrained part of the Canadian world juniors team.

I was at the Ralph when Canada played Russia in the gold medal game. It was an eye opening experience. The profanity, vulgarity, and everything else the mostly Canadian crowd threw at the Russians was intimidating. Electronic bullhorns, sirens, air horns and numerous other noise makers were throughout the crowd. They are unbelievably passionate about it. And according to the comments on TSN, they would rather lose to the Russians than the USA. We aren't worthy of beating them evidently.

Here's a pretty hilarious read about the game...

http://thesleepinggiant.us/america-reaffirms-universal-truth-hockey-is-ours/

It’s time for Canada to face the facts. Hockey’s just not the sport for you. You produce some okay players and make a little noise every once in a while, but four years in a row without gold at World Juniors? And this time after bringing every weapon in your supposedly-prodigious arsenal? Yeah, okay, you’ll probably beat the Russians on Saturday for Bronze but hell, the Slovaks almost beat the Russians. So did the Swiss. That’s the level you’re operating on these days.

It is huge. What makes it a much bigger deal is many Canadians seem to believe that it is their sole right to win it every year. There will be great national discussion of Canadian youth hockey and what has gone wrong with the Canadian system. In reading some of the comments on TSN (and there are many pages) many seem to imply that politics is an ingrained part of the Canadian world juniors team.

I was at the Ralph when Canada played Russia in the gold medal game. It was an eye opening experience. The profanity, vulgarity, and everything else the mostly Canadian crowd threw at the Russians was intimidating. Electronic bullhorns, sirens, air horns and numerous other noise makers were throughout the crowd. They are unbelievably passionate about it. And according to the comments on TSN, they would rather lose to the Russians than the USA. We aren't worthy of beating them evidently.

I would rather lose to Russia than Canada!

Saw this floating around Twitter.

EDIT: A replay of the U.S. vs. Canada game is just starting on the NHL Network

s2r4i1.jpg

That's just comical.

Isn't there an almost annual American major junior player that whines about not making the WJC team and says the reason is because he plays major junior?

Let's be real, time for Canadians to learn the demographics of the American roster before they make outlandish statements like that. We Americans are all about diversity, Canada. Our rosters are mostly NCAA players, though I think this year has had more CHL players than in the past. Or maybe it just seems like it.

Saw this floating around Twitter.

EDIT: A replay of the U.S. vs. Canada game is just starting on the NHL Network

s2r4i1.jpg

If Canadians don't like U.S. kids in the CHL, just make it an all-Canadian league. Of course, that means a lot of talented kids would stay in the U.S. and Europe. But if patriotism is that important to them, then please go right on ahead. NCAA hockey will step in and fill the void for you! :)

If Canadians don't like U.S. kids in the CHL, just make it an all-Canadian league. Of course, that means a lot of talented kids would stay in the U.S. and Europe. But if patriotism is that important to them, then please go right on ahead. NCAA hockey will step in and fill the void for you! :)

Yeah, if Canadians want an All-Canadian CHL, that's fine. Remember how well that "All-Minnesota" team worked out for the Gophers? Oh, for a short time it was okay...then they had to wait for a couple of Grand Forks, North Dakotans to come to the rescue and get them a couple of NCAA titles.

Yeah, if Canadians want an All-Canadian CHL, that's fine. Remember how well that "All-Minnesota" team worked out for the Gophers? Oh, for a short time it was okay...then they had to wait for a couple of Grand Forks, North Dakotans to come to the rescue and get them a couple of NCAA titles.

I think an All-Canadian concept would work much better than that whole "Minnesota Pride on Ice" thing did. They definitely have more than enough players to fill all three leagues.

I also just watched the game, watching the American flag go up and seeing the Canadians leaning on their sticks in shock while the Yanks sing their countries song brings tears to my eyes. Couldn't be prouder...

Just shows again that in a one and done scenario, talent is secondary. That Canadian team beats the USA 7 outta 10. Just like the Red Army team beats the Miracle on Ice team 99 out of 100. Just like the 2010-2011 Fighting Sioux team beats Michigan 7 outta 10 or the 97 Michigan team win 7 outta 10.

• Upvote 1