SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux or non-Sioux Gear?

Hayduke

Kind of an odd morning for me. I have a TON of Sioux gear, but little with just the University of North Dakota, or UND on it.

Well, I am more of a hockey fan than football, so today is a big day for me. First game of the year, even though it's exhibition. I had my Sioux hoodie ready to go this morning, then I had second thoughts. I work half days on Saturday and wanted to show my UND pride. I almost put my Sioux hoodie on and then had second thoughts. After all, they aren't the Sioux anymore. (Although, in my heart they may always be the Sioux.) So, I rifled through my closet and found my only non-Sioux sweatshirt, a UND Alumni sweatshirt. I put it on instead.

I'm not posting this to cause arguments over whether we should wear Sioux or non-Sioux UND stuff. I'm just curious as to whether dropping the name has changed people's habits. I know I will wear Sioux stuff, probably to the UNC game in Greeley and DU/CC games. But, today I just felt that I should wear UND only gear.

Thoughts? (Again, not here to argue, just wondering what people think of wearing Sioux or non-Sioux gear.)

I have both Sioux Gear and UND gear and I will always wear both....I will never buy or wear anything that has a different moniker on it.

I'm kind of thinking the same thing. Maybe I'll buy a few things that just have North Dakota on it with the interlocking ND. Not sure if I will wear the new nickname stuff. I guess it may just depend on the nickname.

I own only 1 shirt without the nickname and logo on it. Right now I am wearing my Sioux hockey jersey, and wearing it proud!!! I say if you have Sioux gear wear it. I will always wear my Sioux winter coat (I have been the last couple weeks now). Just because the name is gone doesn't mean we need to put away the gear.

I own only 1 shirt without the nickname and logo on it. Right now I am wearing my Sioux hockey jersey, and wearing it proud!!! I say if you have Sioux gear wear it. I will always wear my Sioux winter coat (I have been the last couple weeks now). Just because the name is gone doesn't mean we need to put away the gear.

I was in the same boat this morning. All but a couple of my UND shirts/sweatshirts/hoodies have the Sioux logo. I too am proud of the Sioux logo. Just wondering what everyone is wearing and why. Not trying to stir up any ill feelings at all.

BTW, I have the over / under on this thread at 25...

wear those Notre Dame logos with pride :silly:

Funny story about that.

Where I work, this kid was wearing a North Dakota Zephyr hat with the new interlocking ND. On the back of the hat was a small Sioux logo. I asked him if he was from North Dakota or went to school there. He said no. I asked about the hat. He said he was a big Notre Dame fan.

I told him to look at the Sioux logo. He thought that was the company's logo that made the hat. He hadn't a clue.

• Upvote 3

I have both Sioux Gear and UND gear and I will always wear both....I will never buy or wear anything that has a different moniker on it.

I think there are a lot of people like you that share your view. I do agree that no other name they eventually pick will ever be as good as the Fighting Sioux. No logo will be better than the newest Fighting Sioux logo. But there will come a time when the University chooses a new name and logo. Of course there will be people that will refuse to buy anything with it on it. But I think that eventually even die hard people refusing to invest in the new name and logo will slowly learn to accept it. It will be very hard....harder for some, but I think that we can all eventually unite and support the new name. Eventually all of us will be fans of teams known as the University of North Dakota (insert nickname here).

• Upvote 3

Would it be against NCAA rules for fans to donate one of their Sioux jerseys to each new freshmen UND hockey player?

I hope there's some secret program to make Sioux stuff available to UND hockey players, indefinitely.

Yes, this would be against NCAA rules. This is from the UND Information to Boosters.

Financial Aid or Other Benefits to Prospects and Current Student-Athletes

Representatives of UND's athletic interests (boosters) may not provide any financial aid or other benefits, such as clothing, special discounts, tickets to events, or co-signing loans, to a prospect or their relatives OR current UND student-athletes and their relatives. If boosters were to give financial aid or any benefits to a prospect or their relatives OR student-athletes and their relatives, it would make that prospect/student-athlete ineligible for competition at UND and possibly mean that UND athletics teams would have to forfeit any contests that the prospect/student-athlete participated in at UND.

Why couldn't you set aside stuff and SELL it to und players who want it?

Other than opposition from PC freaks at UND?

That question would have to go to a compliance officer. There are rules against providing things to athletes that aren't available to normal students. I don't know if selling something would break that rule or not.

That question would have to go to a compliance officer. There are rules against providing things to athletes that aren't available to normal students. I don't know if selling something would break that rule or not.

I would have to imagine that the NCAA wouldn't like us selling discounted Sioux gear to athletes. They probably wouldn't appreciate if it were tied to the school or any school organization either. They'd probably see it as a violation of their agreement. Probably not a good idea no matter how the compliance issue worked.

It sucks, but I believe that is the reality.

I just set up this thread to see how people felt about wearing Sioux gear at this time. I have to admit that I do like to wear mine, but felt a bit less than enthusiastic the day of the first exhibition men's hockey game.

I would have to imagine that the NCAA wouldn't like us selling discounted Sioux gear to athletes. They probably wouldn't appreciate if it were tied to the school or any school organization either. They'd probably see it as a violation of their agreement. Probably not a good idea no matter how the compliance issue worked.

It sucks, but I believe that is the reality.

I just set up this thread to see how people felt about wearing Sioux gear at this time. I have to admit that I do like to wear mine, but felt a bit less than enthusiastic the day of the first exhibition men's hockey game.

I agree with you about the NCAA, although I don't know if there is actually anything they could do about it. But it is probably best not to poke that bear.

I have quite a bit of Sioux stuff and will probably continue to wear it. I don't have much plain UND stuff. I will wear it and will probably buy more. When a new nickname is chosen I will buy new stuff and wear that. Slowly I will wear the new stuff more and more, especially to games. I support UND no matter what the nickname is.