SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League Changes Names......Of Their Member Schools

UNDvince97-01

Iyhought you were adainst the old NCC??

I am but not against the other Dakota 3. I like our new conference but I also liked playing against the other 3 Dakota schools. NDSU brings rivalry, USD was our 2004-2011 rival, and SDSU always brings a good game. Plus they are in driving range for me (except I can walk to Bison games). As my kids get older I can fly out to the west coast.

I found this article (funny how they talk about the WAC) about requirements to be an autobid conference:

http://www.bloggingt...one-else-leaves

The conference received some good news today, as the NCAA Convention accepted a proposal to scrap the "core membership" requirement.

Under this new rule, to hold an auto bid to the tournament, a Division I conference must have seven men's basketball playing members with no continuity of membership requirements. Six of those schools must conduct conference play in five or more other sports.

That would be NDSU, SDSU, USD, Oakland, IPFW, IUPUI, UMKC, WIU, Omaha. Thats nine schools. Omaha isn't playoff eligible until 2016, and if Oakland leaves that 7 teams until 2016. One more school bolts (before Omaha becomes eligible) or if two teams (after Oakland) bolt the Summit could be the 4 former NCC schools, and 2 others. Does GT call Doug Fullerton for an option? Does USD come crawling back after telling the Big Sky no to their invite. I think USD is in the worst shape (besides Omaha) if you tell a conference no to their invite chances are they are not going to accept you back. Unlike the SU's who were told no by the Big Sky.

I found this article (funny how they talk about the WAC) about requirements to be an autobid conference:

http://www.bloggingt...one-else-leaves

That would be NDSU, SDSU, USD, Oakland, IPFW, IUPUI, UMKC, WIU, Omaha. Thats nine schools. Omaha isn't playoff eligible until 2016, and if Oakland leaves that 7 teams until 2016. One more school bolts (before Omaha becomes eligible) or if two teams (after Oakland) bolt the Summit could be the 4 former NCC schools, and 2 others. Does GT call Doug Fullerton for an option? Does USD come crawling back after telling the Big Sky no to their invite. I think USD is in the worst shape (besides Omaha) if you tell a conference no to their invite chances are they are not going to accept you back. Unlike the SU's who were told no by the Big Sky.

Good info. Guess they can invite Chicago St anytime. Like you said, the Summit can become the new Great West, inviting New Jersey and UTPA if they have to to keep the Summit going.

Good info. Guess they can invite Chicago St anytime. Like you said, the Summit can become the new Great West, inviting New Jersey and UTPA if they have to to keep the Summit going.

Since they got rid of the core membership rule Douple can try to invite any DI team (not in transition) to join. I wonder if NDSU would like to travel all across the country for conference games...flashback to the GWC days.

Like UND does now?

UND travels to one section of the country. In the GWC we went from Texas out to New Jersey. At least in the Big Sky most of the teams are pretty close so you go from Cedar City to Ogden and from Bozeman to Missoula. We are in better shape than in the GWC.