SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League Changes Names......Of Their Member Schools

UNDvince97-01

Johnny missed the point... UNDvince97-01 was calling out the fact that NDSU's conferences keep changing names to sound more important or to distance itself from its past versus a school being in multiple conferences for different sports.

So did Bin...

That and the fact that their conference is insisting its member schools change their names to be more recognizable.

It's absolutely hilarious. You cannot make it up.

The Summit has some pretty bad acronyms. IUPUI, IPFW, and UMKC (i think?) Makes sense to refer to them as Fort Wayne and Kansas CIty. I didn't even know UMKC was in Kansas CIty or IUPUI in Indianapolis. The Big Sky is certainly more stable. I think we will see all the Dakota schools move over to the Big Sky. It makes sense. Those are 3 solid teams and we're kind of on an island. The Dakota schools by themselves are 4 easy bus trips and the rivalries would be awesome. The Big SKy would be on crack to pass. Besides we tried to get into the Summitt but with the nickname issue were shot down. Now it's good.

Rumor floating that Oakland is leaving the Summit. The Big Sky is looking better all the time. NDSU should be exploring their chances to get in the Big Sky again.

Too much pride at Moo U for that. They'd go just about anywhere before choosing to ride UND's coattails into the BSC.

• Upvote 1

Oh. That stings. That hurts so badly. Or not.

Hey, this team this week on NDSU's schedule, do they also have an 80-game losing streak in their history like PVA&M?

Now to point, what would be worse:

Losing the "Bison" name to NCAA zealots or being forced back to "North Dakota Agricultural College" by the Summit League?

There's the better comparison.

In all fairness, Prairie View was not a fully funded team when they were on the losing streak. Now they are up to 63 scholarships and won their conference a few years ago.. which is more than the South Dakota Mines. Obviously both teams suck and got their ass kicked. Sure would have been nice seeing UND-NDSU instead of 2 ugly games both teams fans could care less about

So did Bin...

That and the fact that their conference is insisting its member schools change their names to be more recognizable.

It's absolutely hilarious. You cannot make it up.

How many times do people have to point out they will just be calling them "Kansas City" or "Omaha" for example rather than UMKC or UNO before it you catch on?

Oh, I've 'caught on' Johnboy...

Real creative. I'm sure it will do wonders for The Summit and it's image.

You can't polish turds, John - regardless of what some freshman 101 classes at ndsu will tell you.

It will make it easier for people to know who is playing. Until I got to college I admit I wasn't entirely positive what some of the names meant.

Minnesota State- Mankato....I usually hear them called Mankato.

University of Minnesota- Duluth.....I hear them called Duluth.

So what is so awful about calling UMKC Kansas City?

It will make it easier for people to know who is playing. Until I got to college I admit I wasn't entirely positive what some of the names meant.

Minnesota State- Mankato....I usually hear them called Mankato.

University of Minnesota- Duluth.....I hear them called Duluth.

So what is so awful about calling UMKC Kansas City?

BECAUSE THOSE SCHOOLS DID IT ON THEIR OWN!!!

THEIR CONFERENCE DIDN'T STEP IN AND FORCE THEM TO!!!

Got it now?....

(beats own head into wall)

BV fans are admitting that Oakland leaving the Summit would be a major blow. They are even starting to talk about whether they should go after the Big Sky. The Summit will not look very glamorous with ORU and Oakland leaving.

It's a big deal. Significantly weakens the conference. The only positive is they will have an easy path to the NCAA Baskeball Tournament. Not having to beat Oral Roberts and Oakland makes it easy. But RPI will drop.

It's a big deal. Significantly weakens the conference. The only positive is they will have an easy path to the NCAA Baskeball Tournament. Not having to beat Oral Roberts and Oakland makes it easy. But RPI will drop.

If they are happy being in a !@#!$ conference with weaker competition more power to them. The Summit sucks, I don't know you keep sticking up for it.

If they are happy being in a !@#!$ conference with weaker competition more power to them. The Summit sucks, I don't know you keep sticking up for it.

I don't think anyone is happy about weaker competition, at least they won't be when NDSU is potentially having a Woodside-esque season and gets a 16 seed rather than a 14. If Oakland stays for the time being, I am content.

Here is a question its not so much would NDSU, SDSU, and USD join the BSC but would the BSC invite them? The conference has 11 teams (not football) adding them would make 14. Can you have divisions in NCAA basketball? IMO if all 3 of them got accepted that would be great. I could drive to Brookings, Vermillion and walk to the Fargodome to see UND.

Here is a question its not so much would NDSU, SDSU, and USD join the BSC but would the BSC invite them? The conference has 11 teams (not football) adding them would make 14. Can you have divisions in NCAA basketball? IMO if all 3 of them got accepted that would be great. I could drive to Brookings, Vermillion and walk to the Fargodome to see UND.

One would imagine it'd end up resulting in a split so that the collection of teams gets at least two bids. 14 teams fighting for one bid seems rough, now if you are/were the Big East and a lot of teams will make it regardless, you don't have that program.

One would imagine it'd end up resulting in a split so that the collection of teams gets at least two bids. 14 teams fighting for one bid seems rough, now if you are/were the Big East and a lot of teams will make it regardless, you don't have that program.

I can see it being a dogfight for 1 spot. If Oakland leaves is the SL in danger of losing its AQ status? Also if the SU's and USD departed then I would think the SL is in the same boat as the Great West Conference (whatever is left of that).

Isn't Idaho coming to the Big Sky? No way the Big Sky goes to 15 teams. The other Dakota schools are SOL if they want in the Big Sky.

If Oakland leaves, the Summit can invite Augustana, Mary, or St Cloud and rename themselves the North Central Conference.

Isn't Idaho coming to the Big Sky? No way the Big Sky goes to 15 teams. The other Dakota schools are SOL if they want in the Big Sky.

If Oakland leaves, the Summit can invite Augustana, Mary, or St Cloud and rename themselves the North Central Conference.

Idaho would be in the BSC for only football (if they dropped down) and WAC for Olympic sports.

St. Cloud would have to drop football if they moved to the SL, I don't think they want to pull an Omaha. As for the Dakota schools SOL...what if they invited just the South Dakota teams and leave NDSU alone in the SL.

Idaho would be in the BSC for only football (if they dropped down) and WAC for Olympic sports.

St. Cloud would have to drop football if they moved to the SL, I don't think they want to pull an Omaha. As for the Dakota schools SOL...what if they invited just the South Dakota teams and leave NDSU alone in the SL.

For Idaho, it's the opposite: the Big Sky would allow them to keep FBS football outside the conference (if they can get an independent schedule) and move the rest of the sports into the Big Sky. Twelve for basketball is a very good number.

For football, the Big Sky already has 13, and maybe 14 if Idaho comes back to FCS. Football could also be then split into divisions. No other football schools are needed.

The Summit League will just have to be content with Division II moveups. Mary is getting a lot of donations from the oil boom, and owns a lot of land with oil on it. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Summit was forced to add Mary as NDSU's travel partner. So few of the other DII schools can afford anything right now.

For Idaho, it's the opposite: the Big Sky would allow them to keep FBS football outside the conference (if they can get an independent schedule) and move the rest of the sports into the Big Sky. Twelve for basketball is a very good number.

For football, the Big Sky already has 13, and maybe 14 if Idaho comes back to FCS. Football could also be then split into divisions. No other football schools are needed.

The Summit League will just have to be content with Division II moveups. Mary is getting a lot of donations from the oil boom, and owns a lot of land with oil on it. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Summit was forced to add Mary as NDSU's travel partner. So few of the other DII schools can afford anything right now.

I would think that the Summit would go after Denver or Seattle before Mary.

The SL would be a glorified Great West Conference.

Iyhought you were adainst the old NCC??