SiouxSports.com Forum

Suggestion for new nickname?

BobCat

or just Frackers :silly:

This actually would work great on many levels. Think of the different cheers/promotions:

We will we will FRACK you.

FRACK the (Insert opposing teams' name here) (Clap clap clap clap clap)

FRACK attack

Meet the FRACKERS

FRACKER backer

It would be unique - I doubt another team has the name.

It has ties to North Dakota.

It is controversial (not the name, but the practice), giving us a kind of bad-ass edginess.

I think we may be on to something here. Tell me where I'm wrong (like I have to ask!)

This actually would work great on many levels. Think of the different cheers/promotions:

We will we will FRACK you.

FRACK the (Insert opposing teams' name here) (Clap clap clap clap clap)

FRACK attack

Meet the FRACKERS

FRACKER backer

It would be unique - I doubt another team has the name.

It has ties to North Dakota.

It is controversial (not the name, but the practice), giving us a kind of bad-ass edginess.

I think we may be on to something here. Tell me where I'm wrong (like I have to ask!)

I wonnder if any schools can come up with a derogatory word that rhymes with Frackers that they would use in cheers agaisnt us? Hmmm.......???:)

Yesterday a bunch of people on campus believed that the new nickname was going to be the "Grizzlies". They got this from the twitter account @UND_problems. Obviously this is not going to be it, it was just a joke.

Last time I checked North Dakota doesn't even have bears... I think Cougers would be better. cougar1.jpg?a=10

• Upvote 1

The NCAA wouldn't have a problem with Dakotans as long as no Native American imagery was used. That is why the Fighting Illini is still allowed, the name was originally to represent Illinois residents that fought in World War I and the NCAA allows Illinois to use the name because it represents residents of the state. Dakotans and probably even Fighting Dakotans would be allowable under the NCAA policy.

I would be fine with this as a solution (considering how bad the options could be) and I doubt the NCAA could say anything about it being it is the state name.

I first joked about the name Dakotans, partly because I didn't think it would pass muster with the NCAA, but I think 82SiouxGuy is right. Also, it wouldn't be Dakota, it would be Dakotans, as in the state not the tribe.

Dakotans would also tie the past with the present per my earlier post. With yesterdays announcement that most of the imagery will be allowed to stay at the Ralph and Betty, all the more reason to tie the new moniker in with the old one. I think Dakotans would do that.

With UND being the only school in the Big Sky and the only Dakota school playing hockey, it would identify UND as the school of the Dakotas.

To add to that, if you look back with more historical perspective,Dakota Territory took in a large part of Montana.

DakotaTerritory.png

If Dakotans is found to be too bland, an adjective could be added, Fighting Dakotans or Mighty Dakotans. I kind of like just Dakotans.

One of the metrics that I have used in the quest for a new nickname, is how easy is it to alter for jokes. Norse...Nurses and Roughriders would be a constant joke, due to the condoms. Although North Dakota Dakotans is somewhat redundant, it isn't easy to be made sport of.

I think there are a lot of opportunities for logos. The Nokota horse could be used. An old west type cowboy..

Putting DAKOTANS on the front of a jersey, would claim the territory for North Dakota.

I first joked about the name Dakotans, partly because I didn't think it would pass muster with the NCAA, but I think 82SiouxGuy is right. Also, it wouldn't be Dakota, it would be Dakotans, as in the state not the tribe.

Dakotans would also tie the past with the present per my earlier post. With yesterdays announcement that most of the imagery will be allowed to stay at the Ralph and Betty, all the more reason to tie the new moniker in with the old one. I think Dakotans would do that.

With UND being the only school in the Big Sky and the only Dakota school playing hockey, it would identify UND as the school of the Dakotas.

To add to that, if you look back with more historical perspective,Dakota Territory took in a large part of Montana.

DakotaTerritory.png

If Dakotans is found to be too bland, an adjective could be added, Fighting Dakotans or Mighty Dakotans. I kind of like just Dakotans.

One of the metrics that I have used in the quest for a new nickname, is how easy is it to alter for jokes. Norse...Nurses and Roughriders would be a constant joke, due to the condoms. Although North Dakota Dakotans is somewhat redundant, it isn't easy to be made sport of.

I think there are a lot of opportunities for logos. The Nokota horse could be used. An old west type cowboy..

Putting DAKOTANS on the front of a jersey, would claim the territory for North Dakota.

North Dakota Dakotans???? No thanks. I do however like the possiblity of using the term "Dakota Territory." Could be used before games. Much like the Minnesota Twins use the term "Twins Territory." "You're in Dakota Territory." Has a good ring to it!!

North Dakota Dakotans? ??? No thanks. I do however like the possiblity of using the term "Dakota Territory." Could be used before games. Much like the Minnesota Twins use the term "Twins Territory." "You're in Dakota Territory." Has a good ring to it!!

I thought the same thing, but if you put in a stipulation that they refer to them with the "mighty" or "fighting" Dakotans, it doesn't sound as bad. Hey, if you have to call Mankato State, Minnesota State University at Mankato, you can have the same stipulation at UND. I did think it would be the equivalent of Montana being the Montana Montanans, but at least you would have the North and Fighting/Mighty to break it up a bit. Probably better names out there though.

I googled "Mighty Dakotans" and found no hits. I googled "Fighting Dakotans" and found quite a few places where it has been suggested, including some of the hockey and football boards. It has even been bandied about on Siouxsports a couple of times.

Since they are having to take the "Fighting Sioux" off the outside of the Ralph, just leave Fighting up and change Sioux to Dakotans.

I googled "Mighty Dakotans" and found no hits. I googled "Fighting Dakotans" and found quite a few places where it has been suggested, including some of the hockey and football boards. It has even been bandied about on Siouxsports a couple of times.

Since they are having to take the "Fighting Sioux" off the outside of the Ralph, just leave Fighting up and change Sioux to Dakotans.

Not that much different than the University of Illinois Fighting Illini. UND Fighting Dakotans isn't too bad.