SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

let me see but is this not a UND sports forum? Then why are we talking about the Bison for? I brought up hockey players for the simple reason if it had been a hockey player from UND you would be singing a different tune, like pissing in an elevator.

I was one of the more vocal people when Kristo got his "frozen" foot and I was also very vocal when Frattin and Oshie had their issues. With that being said, Hak lives by the rule that "no one is bigger than the team" and he has instilled that in his players since day one and takes care of it when repeated offenses happen. So when you say that "We would be singing a different tune", just remember their are people on here that still hold athletes to a different standard than everyone else.

Lately the NDSU team has been getting in trouble more and more often (it comes with having a successful football program) and Coach Bohl seems to not care (maybe he does but it does not show). I would think by benching these kids or dismissing the troublemakers would start to show the team (and community) that NO ONE IS BIGGER THAN THIS TEAM. I think that once the administrators and coaches starting making examples of athletes (because they are held to a higher standard), these problems will start to become less and less. Until then they can keep living in denial that there is nothing wrong with their program or the athletes they get.

Big difference between having your junk out in public and doing what these guys "allegedly" (probably, almost certainly) did. Read earlier that in the state of Washington, internet poker is the same class of felony as raping a woman. Are the crimes the same because they are in the same class and should the people who take part in these activities be treated the same?

I'm sure that NDSU will do what is necessary. I could see Ojuri gone. Suspensions for the other guys. Whatever happens, I support the team.

To whomever who said the majority of UND hockey players are not bad guys, the same can be said about guys on almost any team. Heck, even guys who do stupid things can be good students and good people.

No, they should probably not be treated the same, but if voter fraud is shown by these players in a flagrant and intentional way, I would hardly sweep it under the rug. After all, the integrity of our voting and election system is a staple of our democracy. Is the country going to fall apart from one case that may or may not be just stupid college kids not realizing the seriousness of such activity? No. But I wouldn't be so quick to diminish something like this. Would it be considered more serious by the administration of NDSU if the players in question intimidated people trying to get into the polls to vote yes on one of these proposed measures? Either way, the voting process is compromised. That said, I have a feeling these players had no idea how serious their activity was, but perhaps they should have.

First I want to say there are only a couple of Bison fans that want to say it is a UND conspircy which is bull pucky. This was a couple of young men who mad a huge mistake and embarresed their school and team. I think a one game suspension is in order and for Ojuri maybe even longer (you only get so many strikes). What I think about the LB getting kicked off and this incident is this, Here is your choice I get to come to you place of work and either pull my tallywacker out or sign a piece of paper with a differnt name. While both worng I dont think they can be treated the same.

I don't think they had any idea what would happen if they did what they did. They thought it was a way to make a quick buck and went for it. I agree with Taylor on this. As if most UND hockey players would know not to fake signatures. Besides Hak would still play them and don't for a minute think he wouldn't.

i am sure they all didnt know that the signature and names had to be verified. probably didnt know that it was needed to be put on an election ballot. that being said they still committed a crime. seems like a very complicated matter. there could be many factors involved in the case. so i understand bohl wanting to play it out legally. i just hope they dont go unpunished. if something does come of it which would likely be late winter, how will they be disciplined? more conditioning? 1st game of 2013? hmmm

Hillary Rodham? Ya all realize it only takes one false signature to get a petition thrown out. You dont like that initiatove its real easy tto make sure its not on the ballot.

no there are false signatures on plenty of petitions. just that signature is thrown out, not the whole petition

i am sure they all didnt know that the signature and names had to be verified. probably didnt know that it was needed to be put on an election ballot. that being said they still committed a crime. seems like a very complicated matter. there could be many factors involved in the case. so i understand bohl wanting to play it out legally. i just hope they dont go unpunished. if something does come of it which would likely be late winter, how will they be disciplined? more conditioning? 1st game of 2013? hmmm

Would Bohl have the balls to suspend them at playoff time? My guess is no. Then he will get a shitstorm from the media and possibly the NCAA.

You're joking right?

Of course they knew. They were told when the were given the job. I guarantee it. There is no way they were not told that the signatures had to be verified and it was a crime to falsify any signature.

They are big boys. They are criminals, proven by their actions. They will be punished accordingly. Except by Coach Bohl. Who runs a rogue program. His inaction in this matter proves it.

Maybe he'll really flex his muscle and sit them during spring ball. If all they get for this is having to run a couple extra crunchers after practice it will raise some eyebrows.

At the end of each petition form that is turned in is this affidavit section to be signed by the person who circulated the petition:

State of North Dakota )

) ss.

County of _________________ )

(county where signed)

I, ____________________, being sworn, say that I am a qualified elector; that I reside at

__________________;

(circulator) (address)

that each signature contained on the attached petition was executed in my presence; and that to the best of my

knowledge and belief each individual whose signature appears on the attached petition is a qualified elector;

and that each signature contained on the attached petition is the genuine signature of the individual whose

name it purports to be.

( signature of circulator )

Subscribed and sworn to before me on _____________, ______, at ____________, North Dakota.

( city )

(Notary Seal) _______________________________________

(signature of notary)

Notary Public

My commission expires_______________________

When you take on circulating a petition that's the standard you are held to. It's right there in writing for anyone to read.

See: https://vip.sos.nd.g.../initiating.pdf

First I want to say there are only a couple of Bison fans that want to say it is a UND conspircy which is bull pucky. This was a couple of young men who mad a huge mistake and embarresed their school and team. I think a one game suspension is in order and for Ojuri maybe even longer (you only get so many strikes). What I think about the LB getting kicked off and this incident is this, Here is your choice I get to come to you place of work and either pull my tallywacker out or sign a piece of paper with a differnt name. While both worng I dont think they can be treated the same.

See, I look at it wayyyy differently. You seem to think that seeing a peepee is that big of deal. I honestly think society get's way to worked up about genitals, you've seen one you've seen them all. Granted we should have laws in place to discourage everyone from doing it from the standpoint that it would get a little old if everyone was doing it.

But, fraudulently signing names is entirely worse if you ask me. It shows real character cracks, if a legal adult can't determine that fraudulently signing someones name on a petition is wrong. It shows that you have character issues, and really can you be trusted? What's next for that person, signing someones name or forging a check. If you ask me it's a far more slippery slope. But character reflects leadership and we are quickly learning that Coach Bohl & A.D. Gene Taylor's character is not much better than that of these young men. You can really tell they are reaching to distinguish Mr Jemison's offense as opposed to what these 8 have done. Apparently, Mr. Taylor is very offended by penises. Not so much in regards to premeditated fraud. But let's face it...it's a big game and NDSU needs to win, so to Coach Bohl and Gene Taylor the solution is easy. They are carrying out the chant from Bad News Bears Breaking Training...Let them play, Let them play, Let them play.

At the end of each petition form that is turned in is this affidavit section to be signed by the person who circulated the petition:

When you take on circulating a petition that's the standard you are held to. It's right there in writing for anyone to read.

See: https://vip.sos.nd.g.../initiating.pdf

1. You are assuming they can read. 2. You are assuming they have integrity. (Integrity - the way you act when you think no one is watching).

See, I look at it wayyyy differently. You seem to think that seeing a peepee is that big of deal. I honestly think society get's way to worked up about genitals, you've seen one you've seen them all. Granted we should have laws in place to discourage everyone from doing it from the standpoint that it would get a little old if everyone was doing it.

But, fraudulently signing names is entirely worse if you ask me. It shows real character cracks, if a legal adult can't determine that fraudulently signing someones name on a petition is wrong. It shows that you have character issues, and really can you be trusted? What's next for that person, signing someones name or forging a check. If you ask me it's a far more slippery slope. But character reflects leadership and we are quickly learning that Coach Bohl & A.D. Gene Taylor's character is not much better than that of these young men. You can really tell they are reaching to distinguish Mr Jemison's offense as opposed to what these 8 have done. Apparently, Mr. Taylor is very offended by penises. Not so much in regards to premeditated fraud. But let's face it...it's a big game and NDSU needs to win, so to Coach Bohl and Gene Taylor the solution is easy. They are carrying out the chant from Bad News Bears Breaking Training...Let them play, Let them play, Let them play.

I honestly don't know where to begin with all of the leaps and assumptions you have made in your post.

Let's actually look at this from a legal perspective(I am not a lawyer, so if I make assumptions I shouldn't feel free to correct me). From what I have read in the news, the entire "team" of signature collectors is being named in this. It seems as though they do not know exactly who is guilty and who was just on the "team". Let's say for example that it was just 2 of the players who actually committed fraud and the rest of them are being named as a result of being on the "team", does it make sense to suspend all of them? I like the idea of letting this one play out, not because what was done was less of a crime, but because they aren't even sure who did what at this point and it seems as though it might be quite difficult to determine. This situation is so very different than someone showing their genitals, although I would have liked to have seen that play out as well before punishment was given.

To say this shows a character flaw and that in some way this reflects leadership is asinine. What this may show is a couple of these guys were feeling lazy one sunny summer day and instead of hitting the streets to get signatures they decided to take the easy way out and sit on their butts. Good lord they are college kids. Have you ever skipped a class and then copied someones notes or had someone take your PRS clicker to a class so you still get participation points for that day? Ever had your wife take your credit card to the grocery store and sign your name? I commit fraud every day when I let my employees take the business credit card to buy office supplies. Turn me in if you want.

I am not downplaying this at all, I think it is a big deal and if found guilty the players should be punished accordingly. But don't make this out to be more than it is, a couple of kids who probably felt like taking a nap and still making their $9/hour for that day or couple of days.

Here is what bothers me the most:

At his press conference Tuesday, here’s how Bohl went on to justify that decision:

“Every situation certainly is different,” he said.

“Gene (Taylor, NDSU athletic director) and I had lengthy discussions concerning this.

“What we did is we looked at the nature of the charge. There was not one of violence or one of drugs or that nature; so, we felt like it was appropriate to allow these student athletes to go through the legal process and have their day in court.”

Taylor himself later echoed those thoughts. “In terms of other issues across the country that student-athletes get in trouble for, this doesn’t rank to the level where I think they need to be suspended for a certain amount of time,” he said in an interview with the Associated Press.

So there is a standard on what ways an NDSU player can break the law and avoid immediate suspension. It sets a dangerous precedent. Isn't breaking the law always breaking the law? Shouldn't there be punishment?

And yes, I would have this same concern if it were any UND coach and Faison making the same statements.

I honestly don't know where to begin with all of the leaps and assumptions you have made in your post.

Let's actually look at this from a legal perspective(I am not a lawyer, so if I make assumptions I shouldn't feel free to correct me). From what I have read in the news, the entire "team" of signature collectors is being named in this. It seems as though they do not know exactly who is guilty and who was just on the "team". Let's say for example that it was just 2 of the players who actually committed fraud and the rest of them are being named as a result of being on the "team", does it make sense to suspend all of them? I like the idea of letting this one play out, not because what was done was less of a crime, but because they aren't even sure who did what at this point and it seems as though it might be quite difficult to determine. This situation is so very different than someone showing their genitals, although I would have liked to have seen that play out as well before punishment was given.

To say this shows a character flaw and that in some way this reflects leadership is asinine. What this may show is a couple of these guys were feeling lazy one sunny summer day and instead of hitting the streets to get signatures they decided to take the easy way out and sit on their butts. Good lord they are college kids. Have you ever skipped a class and then copied someones notes or had someone take your PRS clicker to a class so you still get participation points for that day? Ever had your wife take your credit card to the grocery store and sign your name? I commit fraud every day when I let my employees take the business credit card to buy office supplies. Turn me in if you want.

I am not downplaying this at all, I think it is a big deal and if found guilty the players should be punished accordingly. But don't make this out to be more than it is, a couple of kids who probably felt like taking a nap and still making their $9/hour for that day or couple of days.

I think your incorrect. When the petitions are turned they have the signitures of the circulator that Sic mentioned above. This wasn't the entire team of circulators. It was these individual circulators who had a very high number of "errors" on thier petitions.

When is Bohl going to finally come down on them? I keep hearing they will be dealt with eventually. My guess is he will suspend them for a random game in the middle of this year. Why you ask? Because there is no way he is suspending them for the opener next year vs. Kansas State.

Look for him to pick some random, aakward time this coming fall, probably vs. Missouri State on Nov. 3rd.

Coach Bohl is going down a slippery slope with this precdent he is setting. He already has Jemison's Dad, a former NDSU player himself, calling out the program in the Forum today. This is the same type of situation that eventually did Rocky in. He looked the other way for the sake of winning so many times that it got to be too much and he was gone.

I think your incorrect. When the petitions are turned they have the signitures of the circulator that Sic mentioned above. This wasn't the entire team of circulators. It was these individual circulators who had a very high number of "errors" on thier petitions.

So all thirteen people charged had a "high number" of errors? I find that hard to believe. It sounds to me like they don't know exactly who is guilty and who isn't at this point so how can punishments be handed out? At this point I believe that it is in the preliminary stages and Coach Bohl is justified in waiting until a few things play out.

Jemison gets tossed for going commando and flashing his junk. Check please! That will cost you in any enviroment. Not quite sure what the hold up is with this situation though...a FBS team in CSU awaits!! And really, at this point how is Ojuri even still on team...or further more even still in school!

On one of the news shows on television last night they showed a more extensive interview with Gene Taylor. Gene came off very insecure and almost flustered. His response and his reasons for lack of action came off very weak and unprofessional. I think he probably realizes something needs to be done but is afraid to ruffle the feathers of Bohl and other powers to be at NDSU. It really came off rather sad.