SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

I've never been to the place in question, but I doubt convection heat is so much a problem (convection probably does a better job of simulating the heat distribution of a brick oven than a regular oven would) as that the convection ovens in question just don't get hot enough. You generally run a brick oven at least 600F, up to 800F or so if you're making a Neapolitan. You can cook a pizza at a lower temperature, but you can't get the charred blistered crust most people (outside Chicago) think of as necessary for a good pie.

That is the problem with covected baking (edit: not backing) of a pizza. It is too even. Brick heat is not as even.

Not true. I live in Grand Forks and there are some really good local places: Deeks, Popolinos, Marcos, Slap Shot. I absolutely love Marcos Pizza, it's the freshest pizza you can have without making it yourself.

Those places do not make pizza. They make late night drunk filler. Can't say that for Marcos since they are new.

Those places do not make pizza. They make late night drunk filler. Can't say that for Marcos since they are new.

Marcos is much, much better than your average pizza. They use all fresh ingredients and you can tell the difference right away. It doesn't taste processed or artificial like other pizzas sometimes do. And the best part is, I now live within walking distance from there, so I think I'll be having it more often. :)

Marcos is much, much better than your average pizza. They use all fresh ingredients and you can tell the difference right away. It doesn't taste processed or artificial like other pizzas sometimes do. And the best part is, I now live within walking distance from there, so I think I'll be having it more often. :)

Not within walking distance, but not too far from home, there is a Marco's under construction. I had never heard ot if unitl about a month ago, so it is good to hear that it gets a postive review here.

Not within walking distance, but not too far from home, there is a Marco's under construction. I had never heard ot if unitl about a month ago, so it is good to hear that it gets a postive review here.

Agreed, Marcos is good Pizza. Even better is their hot subs. Italian Sausage sub is awesome!!

Not true. I live in Grand Forks and there are some really good local places: Deeks, Popolinos, Marcos, Slap Shot. I absolutely love Marcos Pizza, it's the freshest pizza you can have without making it yourself.

Marcos Pizza is awesome, I like the location as well, close to my house... Their subs are awesome as well.

Exactly. Ridiculous how the grinder gets more expensive every year but they shave the ham/turkey the thickness of a sheet of paper. Joke.

I have never understood why everyone is so bonkers over the Red Pepper? I guess I don't get why everyone spends $1,000.00 to have the Red Pepper send a taco grinder fedex to their house. I always thought it was a cheap version of Tex Mex. Last year on a day off after wondering if I was missing something I decided to go have a taco grinder. I don't know, I just think it's an o.k. sandwhich, nothing extra special.

I have never understood why everyone is so bonkers over the Red Pepper? I guess I don't get why everyone spends $1,000.00 to have the Red Pepper send a taco grinder fedex to their house. I always thought it was a cheap version of Tex Mex. Last year on a day off after wondering if I was missing something I decided to go have a taco grinder. I don't know, I just think it's an o.k. sandwhich, nothing extra special.

Yeah Goon you found the emperor does not have any clothes on.

I think food is basically a matter of preference much like buying a car. Some people are Ford people, some are Chevy, some Dodge, and so on. Everybody can talk about their bad experiences with each of those brands and why they will never buy that again. The same is with food. You get a bad experience, it sticks in your mind, even though others might have good experiences with the same restaurant. I think there are some places that are just plain bad with service and food, and they are easy to weed out. Other places are just a matter of preference, and either having a good or bad experience with either food or service or both.

• Upvote 1

I think food is basically a matter of preference much like buying a car. Some people are Ford people, some are Chevy, some Dodge, and so on. Everybody can talk about their bad experiences with each of those brands and why they will never buy that again. The same is with food. You get a bad experience, it sticks in your mind, even though others might have good experiences with the same restaurant. I think there are some places that are just plain bad with service and food, and they are easy to weed out. Other places are just a matter of preference, and either having a good or bad experience with either food or service or both.

And some people just have no clue as to what is good or bad. Now if I have my choice to eat at the Red Pepper or La Capana/Paradiso or La Cocina Eonomica or Taquitos Jalisco guess where I will eat? Furthermore, if the Red Pepper/Paradiso fans ate at these two restaurants I listed they would not go back to Red Pepper or Paradiso ever again.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/taquitos-jalisco-mesa-2

And some people just have no clue as to what is good or bad. Now if I have my choice to eat at the Red Pepper or La Capana/Paradiso or La Cocina Eonomica or Taquitos Jalisco guess where I will eat? Furthermore, if the Red Pepper/Paradiso fans ate at these two restaurants I listed they would not go back to Red Pepper or Paradiso ever again.

http://www.yelp.com/...-jalisco-mesa-2

That's the point, what is good to you isn't necessarily good for somebody else. It is called taste, and just because you like something else, doesn't make your tastes better.

• Upvote 1

http://www.yelp.com/...-jalisco-mesa-2

We get it already, people from Grand Forks are idiots and do not know what good food is. Thanks for enlightening all of us.

In 2010, I went on a long roadtrip with my future wife. We drove to San Diego and were there for Independence Day. We took a cab to Old Town and had dinner at Cafe Coyote. This was Mexican food that makes Paradiso look like Taco Bell. If I ever go there again, I will definitely have another meal there.

In 2010, I went on a long roadtrip with my future wife. We drove to San Diego and were there for Independence Day. We took a cab to Old Town and had dinner at Cafe Coyote. This was Mexican food that makes Paradiso look like Taco Bell. If I ever go there again, I will definitely have another meal there.

Paradiso uses beans from a can. How more disgusting can you get? Chile rellenos in an egg roll wrapper? Hamburger in their tacos? Lettuce and gravy on their burritos? Gross!

Hmmmmm? Does this add anything to the discussion?

http://www.esquire.c...c_fcbks#slide-1

I have to agree. I don't think I ever visited the Pepper during daylight ... is it even open then? Usually, we went there after bar hopping. Otherwise it was the Big Sioux for fries and gravy. And there's no way either place would be classified as "fine dining", I don't care how many shots you did ... :lol::hypocrite: