SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

21 hours ago, Cratter said:

Chains, are just local places that were some of the best, that there was demand for them in other towns, and more towns....chains have a consistent quality that usually isn't seen with some other restaurants.

..Dakota Harvest Bakery could have been a uber success and opened (franchised) all across the country...and some person in St. Kathy, Ohio would complain "oh great another chain restaurant."

Good point, and well taken.  Initially, that's where the chain comes from.  Then, before you know it, they get overly corporate and start doing things like boil-in-bag (think Applebee's before this year's wood fired grill makeover) and while quality is consistent, it tends to suffer.  This is when chains get a bad name.  Some will continue to cook fresh in-house (Granite City, Johnny Carino's, JL Beers), but others will get things preassembled and frozen (Olive Garden, TGI Friday's, Applebee's).  Too often, I believe people love chains for the nostalgia of when they were small/new to them, even though the food they get today doesn't hold up when compared to that in their memories.

That said, it's good for GF to get in early on the localized chains like JL Beers, Sickies Garage, and more options are always welcome - despite them not always being the ones I hope for ;) 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not a Grand Forks eatery, but reported in the Grand Forks Herald.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4144564-sd-restaurant-owners-attempt-move-drug-charges

Perhaps the strangest write-up for a small business/restaurant I've ever read.  Can you imagine Marilyn Hagerty's review?  

The decor was cheerful and pleasant, if a little drab; tables and chairs consisted of smooth stainless steel bolted securely to the floor. The menus were not sticky, thankfully, but they were covered in a fine, whitish substance. I ordered the 8-ball dog with a kilo of Coke, while my lunch companion had the Walter White special. The owner operators, clad in darling, matching ankle monitors, were energetic and friendly - our table was bused six times before we finished our appetizers - but there was a curious chemical smell I couldn't quite place permeating throughout the dining room. Our leftovers and change were delivered in a non-descript paper bag, and I may have observed an unmarked police unit doing surveillance outside.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, crb1 said:

Does anyone know what is going into Borrowed Bucks? It looks to be getting a makeover. I have heard it might be Famous Daves but not sure if that is true or not. 

Not sure, but I thought I heard Famous Dave's isn't doing too hot(no pun intended) and might be close to bankruptcy.

3 hours ago, crb1 said:

Does anyone know what is going into Borrowed Bucks? It looks to be getting a makeover. I have heard it might be Famous Daves but not sure if that is true or not. 

Rumor is Vinyl Taco and other shops in a strip mall.

4 hours ago, siouxperfanman said:

Sickies has the best burgers in town right now IMO.

Anyone hear of sky's undergoing new management? 

Went there with the work crew recently and nobody was blown away, especially bang for the buck.  Everyone agreed Wild Bill's would still be the go to place.