SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Season

SWSiouxMN

First off - I would like to thank the sports information group. We can be a very demanding fanbase. But, I think that the SID may cause some confusion when he posts during the hockey games. Fans may think that they are suppose to follow him for game updates versus UNDMHockey. If people get in the habit of following him versus UNDMHockey. They don't realize that the other accounts are available. I find myself following individuals more than the generic sports accounts. Not sure why.. NOTE: I do have the football, basketball and hockey accounts.

is his title und sports information director for mens hockey or und sports information director?? either way pretty pathetic coverage for such a big game imo...

if you would care to follow this http://www.undsports...&ATCLID=3743113 down to Media Relations...you will see that Jayson is the Director and he covers Men's Hockey, Cross Country, and Track. Under him is an Associate Director who covers Football, Men's Basketball, and Golf. Then, there are two Assistant Directors...one covers Soccer, Softball, Tennis, and Women's hockey and the other covers Women's Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and Swimming/Diving. Then, we have the New Media Director. So, they are all split up in their coverage.

Edit: Also, I believe that the UNDWHockey twitter account is Erik Fabian tweeting....I could be wrong there though.

It was a legit penalty call, and it didn't help that you had a full arena screaming into the officials ears about two seconds earlier for a call. Normally you would try and even them out, but that wasn't the case.

After the Minnesota coach went crazy his team didn't get a penalty called on them......coincidence?

I'm sorry, but that officiating won them the damn game. And it was clear at the game that the refs decided to decide the game. I hate that. Let the players decide it. I'm just sad for the girls that the game had to end like that. My theory on the unwritten rule about calling penalties in OT has gone out the window. And they shouldn't even have gotten that power play that scored the game-tying goal either. Terrible call. But it is what it is. Hopefully in a few years we'll turn the tables on them.

What a major load. Spread this post over the No Dak agricultural landscape and watch the crops flourish.

Sorry in this game I won't say the better team on the ice won - give UND just one Powerplay in the OTs and you have the biggest upset in women's college hockey. Can't accept that Minnesota got three powerplays and UND got none - Minnesota definitely had callable penalties that were not called because "You can't call that in overtime."

Sorry in this game I won't say the better team on the ice won - give UND just one Powerplay in the OTs and you have the biggest upset in women's college hockey. Can't accept that Minnesota got three powerplays and UND got none - Minnesota definitely had callable penalties that were not called because "You can't call that in overtime."

Have not seen this mentioned in the blame the officials conspiracy that comes up on here but UND had the advantage of a call that went against the Gophers as a 5 minute major. I can't say whether that call was right or wrong because I didn't see it but the bottom line is UND had 5 minutes to score as many as they could put in. They didn't get it done so it is not a given that IF they would have had a power play in OT that they would have scored on it. That might be a reason you could say the winner was the the better team. Then again, so might those other 5 games this year and 3 in a row from last year give you an indication as to who is better.

I was there and the refs did everything they could to not call a penalty on either team in the OT's. the last one on JL was so blatant it had to be called. It sucked yes, but it had to be called. it's just too bad they happened to score on it. no sour grapes here, UND gave them everything they had and that was probably the title game. too bad they couldn't have met in the final of the frozen four.

i keep thinking back to about a minute before the last PP, JL had a look in the slot and toed it before she released the shot which was partially blocked by the defensemen. the corner was open and JL just about snapped her stick after the play in frustration. i wish she could've had that one back and it might've ended differently.

Watching online yes the penalty was pretty obvious, but the announcers where the ones saying throughout the OTs "You can't call a penalty in overtime." Tough to accept the tradition of changing the way the game is called in overtime. I suppose the longer the game and the more tired they get it's inevitable a penalty will eventually have to be called.

UND didn't get a full five minute major as there was a call against UND which negated most of it. I've been told the five minute major call was a little weak, as was the call against UND to negate the power play.

They got about 3 1/2 minutes of the major so it did not negate most of it. Having the call for the 5 minute major go your way was the thing that should have allowed them to get a lead of at least 1 goal. UND has a good enough power play to get that done. No excuses, they did not get it done. As Hrkac mentioned, UND had a very good opportunity a little before the tripping penalty that they didn't convert on and they had the better of the play in the second half of the second overtime and couldnt convert there as well.

They got about 3 1/2 minutes of the major so it did not negate most of it. Having the call for the 5 minute major go your way was the thing that should have allowed them to get a lead of at least 1 goal. UND has a good enough power play to get that done. No excuses, they did not get it done. As Hrkac mentioned, UND had a very good opportunity a little before the tripping penalty that they didn't convert on and they had the better of the play in the second half of the second overtime and couldnt convert there as well.

I think people are noting that the whistles went one way after the 5 min major and during the last 4 periods (3rd, OT1, OT2 and OT3) of hockey 4 penalties against UND and 0 against UM. I live in the cities and listened to part of the game broadcast and a couple of times it was stated "Good No Call - you can make that call in OT". But, yet a PP goal decides the game. I think that is the part that most people are discussing. Unfortunately, a great game was decided by a greasy PP goal in the 3rd OT. Plus, I think any penalty is exponentially more difficult to kill the deeper you go into the game. So, a penalty that is 5 min major that is negated by a make up call and split between periods in the 2nd/3rd is nothing compared to a penalty called in the 6th period. I did not see the call in question and I am sure it was a penalty. Great game by all involved, best of luck to your girls program.

Seemed like in the OTs that the penalties that could have been called against the Sioux were more sticky (tripping, hooking), and the gopher's were more obstruction/interference. The final call was a blatant penalty and denied a breakaway as the gopher was blowing past her. I had no problem with the officiating, but was majorly bummed out by the result.

Hey, I notice the U Min women's hockey team, of its 22 players, appears to have 10 from outside the state of Minnesota (4 from Canada, 4 from other states & 2 from Finland). It seems ironic that school that has a men's team that prides itself on mainly only recruiting in-state players/mocks the UND men's team for having Canadians, would do this? I wonder why there's no consistency between the both teams in it's recruiting policy? May we never hear the U Min/fans brag about this silly policy again. Ever notice they don't follow this very silly/provincial policy when it comes to football and basketball? Supply and demand I say.

Hey, I notice the U Min women's hockey team, of its 22 players, appears to have 10 from outside the state of Minnesota (4 from Canada, 4 from other states & 2 from Finland). It seems ironic that school that has a men's team that prides itself on mainly only recruiting in-state players/mocks the UND men's team for having Canadians, would do this? I wonder why there's no consistency between the both teams in it's recruiting policy? May we never hear the U Min/fans brag about this silly policy again. Ever notice they don't follow this very silly/provincial policy when it comes to football and basketball? Supply and demand I say.

You are several years behind the times. Their men's team hasn't been exclusively Minnesotan, at least not always, for at least a decade. They have 4 non-Minnesotans on the roster this year, including someone from Finland.

I hear you 82SiouxGuy but that's why I said "mainly" only recruiting in-state players. Also, they still rag on the Sioux for the number of Canadians so that hasn't changed. Again, not very consistent on U Min's part between their two teams.

They're Gopher fans. What do you expect from them?

I think people are noting that the whistles went one way after the 5 min major and during the last 4 periods (3rd, OT1, OT2 and OT3) of hockey 4 penalties against UND and 0 against UM. I live in the cities and listened to part of the game broadcast and a couple of times it was stated "Good No Call - you can make that call in OT". But, yet a PP goal decides the game. I think that is the part that most people are discussing. Unfortunately, a great game was decided by a greasy PP goal in the 3rd OT. Plus, I think any penalty is exponentially more difficult to kill the deeper you go into the game. So, a penalty that is 5 min major that is negated by a make up call and split between periods in the 2nd/3rd is nothing compared to a penalty called in the 6th period. I did not see the call in question and I am sure it was a penalty. Great game by all involved, best of luck to your girls program.

UND's powerplay is good enough or at least is supposed to be good enough to get the job done. The same goes for penalty killing. They didn't get the job done. Rationalizations about which circumstance is "exponetially more difficult" than the other or "is nothing compared to"? If it's what you have to do then so be it.

Bottom line, if the gophers don't have a certain individual from Finland (well outside Minnesota), UND wins the hockey game.

You know this how? It's not like the shots were 50-25 in favor of UND and the Gophers won simply because they have a better goalie. The Gophers are better than UND at every position. I can't believe I'm even posting on womens hockey.

if you would care to follow this http://www.undsports...&ATCLID=3743113 down to Media Relations...you will see that Jayson is the Director and he covers Men's Hockey, Cross Country, and Track. Under him is an Associate Director who covers Football, Men's Basketball, and Golf. Then, there are two Assistant Directors...one covers Soccer, Softball, Tennis, and Women's hockey and the other covers Women's Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and Swimming/Diving. Then, we have the New Media Director. So, they are all split up in their coverage.

Edit: Also, I believe that the UNDWHockey twitter account is Erik Fabian tweeting....I could be wrong there though.

okay so Hajdu wasn't there...was Derek Koenen?

in terms of priority of the games this past week most und fans would have them as

1. und womens hockey game against um

2. und mens bball games against suu/wsu

3. und mens hockey games against mtu

in terms of the und athletics department they would have them as

1. und mens hockey game 1 on friday

2. und mens hockey game 2 on saturday

2. und ments hockey game 3 on sunday

4. everything else

if hajdu is the assitant ad he should have been in minny for the womens game from most people i spoke to about this weekend of und sports?