SiouxSports.com Forum

Building UND Athletics

GeauxSioux

no excuse to pay a D-I women's hockey coach more than a D-I football coach.

Generally you would be correct, however, as you have said yourself, the jury is still out on Mussman. Barely a 500 record with some losses and close victories that are questionable. Showing lots of upside, but the next couple of years will tell. Idalski turned a program around, has only two staff members vs Mussman's 7-8, made the NCAA tourney, finished in 3rd place in the WCHA, and beat several of the top teams in the country. FB is a bigger sport, no doubt, but results need to be there too.

One more thing, don't you have anything else to do? You seem to spend your life on here.

That is flat out embarrassing.

Correct. Unless it is a title 9 thing.

Coaches salaries at UND should rank as follows based upon a combination of the ability to generate revenue and success.

Men's Hockey

Football

Men's Basketball

Women's Basketball

Vollyball

Women's Hockey

Correct. Unless it is a title 9 thing.

Coaches salaries at UND should rank as follows based upon a combination of the ability to generate revenue and success.

Men's Hockey

Football

Men's Basketball

Women's Basketball

Vollyball

Women's Hockey

As I've said, womens hockey is cheaper than defending against a Title IX lawsuit.

You tend to forget about women's hockey. Pretty much neutralizes a lot of money. I highly doubt you could get the big money for fb from the fans as they are being tapped out with hockey. If you had a larger home base then maybe. Ever think that hockey might be holding the "other" sports back?

Since 2001 UND was at # 1-3 in attendance in hockey...since 2001 until we left DII after the 2007 season the Alerus was in the top 10 in attendance...maybe top 5. Money is not an issue when it comes to hockey and football attendance...its opponents. UND playing DII/NAIA teams(when we are DI) in football is not going to pack the place. UND playing anyone in hockey will bring in over 11,000 (near capacity). Now UND playing a BSC schedule...FCS OOC games, and a chance at a playoff berth, will equal a near capacity crowd at the Alerus even if hockey is played that night.

Josh Morton just tweeted that any Champions Club member gets in free to ALL UND Womens Hockey home games. Just have to join the Champions Club.

Always have. Plus volleyball, football pregame tent, etc.

I think free booze and hookers at the very top levels.

Extensions remove last major hurdle

Their deals will provide security. But they’re also going to elicit scrutiny.

That’s because the contract extensions released the last major shackle that had been restricting these UND coaches in recruiting and competition.

Now, we’re going to see what this trio can truly accomplish without the laundry list of exterior hassles.

The contract extensions were a must in order to allow these coaches to play with a full deck of cards.

Without contract extensions in place, recruits and their parents can easily question the long-term vision of coaches who may not be around when these recruits land on campus or become college upperclassmen.

Hammer to call UND games

The new voice for UND athletics on television will be a familiar voice for local sports fans.

Dan Hammer, currently the sports director of Valley News Live in Fargo and longtime radio and television personality in the Red River Valley, will join Midco Sports Network as the play-by-play announcer for UND games.

Hammer will also host the UND Sports Extra Show on Midco.

Hammer said this is his dream job!

“This is the most exciting career opportunity I’ve ever had, bar none,” Hammer said. “Everything about it is thrilling. I’m humbled to have the opportunity. It’s a chance to call one of the most elite programs in all of college hockey and also enter back into the UND fray at the most exciting time in its history with the Big Sky Conference. It’s my dream job.”

• 4 months later...

If the new $120 + million Med School building gets approved and built on the Bronson property, where does women's soccer go? There's really not much land left on campus. Thought the rest of Bronson will be commercially developed. Maybe they could work with Valley Middle School or Lake Agassiz school or even Cushman Field, but those aren't convenient to campus. The women's soccer program is an embarassment as it is.

If the new $120 + million Med School building gets approved and built on the Bronson property, where does women's soccer go? There's really not much land left on campus. Thought the rest of Bronson will be commercially developed. Maybe they could work with Valley Middle School or Lake Agassiz school or even Cushman Field, but those aren't convenient to campus. The women's soccer program is an embarassment as it is.

When does this happen? Are they hiring a new coach? Would they use the outdoor practice football field once the new indoor field gets built? Where else on campus can they built a new soccer facility? What about Intermural fields?

• 10 months later...

didn't know where to put this question but i guess this topic works...i am a little shocked about und raising only 2.6 million more in revenue than the ndac?? there is an article in the herald talking about revenue and subsidies....i just thought with the ralph pulling in all that revenue that we would a little farther ahead of the ndac???

didn't know where to put this question but i guess this topic works...i am a little shocked about und raising only 2.6 million more in revenue than the ndac?? there is an article in the herald talking about revenue and subsidies....i just thought with the ralph pulling in all that revenue that we would a little farther ahead of the ndac???

The Ralph has their own bills. They don't give UND nearly what people think they do - it should be a lot more.

Particularly when that difference is accounted for by the glaring difference in student fees between the two schools.

Football is a big money looser for us. Along with womens hockey. I know a lot of people quit donating as the nickname is gone the tv contract is gone we have wont a natty title in 13 years in hockey our football team doesnt compete...why donate to that?

Ndsu money loosers are sports that dont have that big of expenses like our sports that loose money do..

Football is a big money looser for us. Along with womens hockey. I know a lot of people quit donating as the nickname is gone the tv contract is gone we have wont a natty title in 13 years in hockey our football team doesnt compete...why donate to that?

Ndsu money loosers are sports that dont have that big of expenses like our sports that loose money do..

That's strange since donations to the Champions Club are the highest they've ever been and UND just surpassed a $300 million dollar fundraising goal from the Spirit Campaign(currently at $324 million). Sounds like those people who you know who quit donating must not have been donating to begin with.

these numbers also make me nervous that if and when the fb split between fbs/fcs happens that und is a little tapped out on money to pay for when the ndac can go to their students and ask if they want to move their already successful fb program up or stay fcs(not sure how to articulate that with all the different ways people say teh split might happen?)

also i'm thinking that dropping womens hockey and using that money/scholarships for other womens sports is an option we might have to start looking at...i know there are title 9 issues that would have to be resolved but womens hockey is a huge drain....

• Upvote 1