SiouxSports.com Forum

Building UND Athletics

GeauxSioux

In the past two months UND has hired a top notch hockey assistant, announced a new television deal on Midco, officially joined a the Big Sky and have signed both the basketball and football coaches to extended contracts. A base is being built for a solid foundation to UND Athletics.

In the past I have questioned whether Mussman or Jones were going to work out at UND, moreso Mussman with his struggles against lower division schools. Both of them had a good win last season to move their respective programs forward, Mussman against USD and Jones against NDSU.

But signing them both to extended contracts wasn't done to please the fans. It creates a more stable team for the coaches and both the players who are there and the ones being recruited. I'm sure a stabile program is something that a recruit looks for.

Next year UND hockey will begin a new era of excellence in the NCHC.

Now if somehow construction could just begin on that indoor practice facility....

• Upvote 4

It certainly is an exciting time to be a UND fan. The fact that the hockey program is such a huge revenue source puts the athletic department as a whole at a unique advantage. Most schools rely on football or an outstandingly attended other sport (like basketball at Weber St) to drive athletic budgets. UND is one of maybe a handful of schools whose hockey revenue could support their athletic department if football was removed from the equation. The schools that rival UND in the department (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Boston College, Michigan, etc.) likely couldn't support their athletic budgets in Big 6 conferences without the revenue from football. UND could feasibly grow football to the point where it could support the athletic department without hockey and vice versa. There are very few schools with multiple teams that could support an athletic department (Ohio State, Michigan State, Florida, North Carolina, and Texas are a few that come to mind.) With potentially profitable mens and womens basketball teams and self-sustaining volleyball and womens hockey teams, UND has an opportunity to become a (if not the) premiere FCS-level athletic department.

• Upvote 3

Are there any FCS schools with the potenial top end that UND has? With the additional athletic program that UND has in Hockey , and the fact that it is such a gold mine does make UND very unique. Most FCS schools don't have any program that compares to our hockey program. We have a strong history of success in other programs as well. This really could be the start of the most exciting time in UND history. It is not going to happen over night but I can't wait.

Are there any FCS schools with the potenial top end that UND has? With the additional athletic program that UND has in Hockey , and the fact that it is such a gold mine does make UND very unique. Most FCS schools don't have any program that compares to our hockey program. We have a strong history of success in other programs as well. This really could be the start of the most exciting time in UND history. It is not going to happen over night but I can't wait.

Montana, App State, Montana State, NDSU, etc.

I'd put Montana at the top of that list, Montana is the big cheese in their state. Their state has more people. Montana, from what I'm gathered, has quite a few more fans than Montana State. UND will always have to share with NDSU. UND also doesn't have a large basketball facility, or a large football facility like the schools listed above.

For basketball, games can be played in other venues like the REA or the Alerus if needed I suppose. Honestly, I think it will be tough for UND (or NDSU) to become anything special outside of a few sports and the occasional "Woodside"-esque seasons in the lesser sports.

I'd put Montana at the top of that list, Montana is the big cheese in their state. Their state has more people. Montana, from what I'm gathered, has quite a few more fans than Montana State. UND will always have to share with NDSU. UND also doesn't have a large basketball facility, or a large football facility like the schools listed above.

For basketball, games can be played in other venues like the REA or the Alerus if needed I suppose. Honestly, I think it will be tough for UND (or NDSU) to become anything special outside of a few sports and the occasional "Woodside"-esque seasons in the lesser sports.

FCS National Championship...I think that would steal a little thunder from other sports...don't you think?!!

FCS National Championship...I think that would steal a little thunder from other sports...don't you think?!!

football trumps all in Fargo regardless of how good the team is (barring a losing season and the basketball team being 'Woodsidesque'). I imagine in Grand Forks football trumps the non-hockey sports for the most part too. I think we are probably on the same page of thinking.

The reason I believe UND has a higher "top end" than those schools is the fact that the hockey team already supports the athletic department in the same way that football does at those schools. If you look at each school's "Top 2" sports, I think only Montana can match UND's hockey/football combo with their combo of football and men's basketball. It's a big IF but if UND can get football attendance numbers back to the level of the years leading up to the transition and be a playoff contender every year, they would be considered one of the top 3 or 4 FCS-level athletic departments.

The reason I believe UND has a higher "top end" than those schools is the fact that the hockey team already supports the athletic department in the same way that football does at those schools. If you look at each school's "Top 2" sports, I think only Montana can match UND's hockey/football combo with their combo of football and men's basketball. It's a big IF but if UND can get football attendance numbers back to the level of the years leading up to the transition and be a playoff contender every year, they would be considered one of the top 3 or 4 FCS-level athletic departments.

As far as a theoretical top end, you might be right. FCS is also vastly different than D-II and being a consistent contender is probably extremely difficult for even the football-centric schools.

You tend to forget about women's hockey. Pretty much neutralizes a lot of money. I highly doubt you could get the big money for fb from the fans as they are being tapped out with hockey. If you had a larger home base then maybe. Ever think that hockey might be holding the "other" sports back?

You tend to forget about women's hockey. Pretty much neutralizes a lot of money. I highly doubt you could get the big money for fb from the fans as they are being tapped out with hockey. If you had a larger home base then maybe. Ever think that hockey might be holding the "other" sports back?

Women's hockey is building nicely at UND, number 2 in attendance this past year.

But thanks for your concern.

As for the "other" sports... the Big Sky has arrived. The "other" sports will grow.

Women's hockey is building nicely at UND, number 2 in attendance this past year.

But thanks for your concern.

As for the "other" sports... the Big Sky has arrived. The "other" sports will grow.

Big Sky doesn't guarantee anything. Though I imagine they should grow somewhat I suppose. Lets be honest, there are only a few important sports that people actually care about. If those get better, I suppose UND fans should be happy.

Just because Women's Hockey is #2 in attendence doesn't mean anything. Now if Women's Hockey is going to make money, that means something. I believe women's hockey at UND loses less money each year lately? This is good for UND but who knows if that trend will continue or not. I'd consider anything less than a total black hole for money in women's hockey a success. So in that sense UND is doing just fine in that area.

Big Sky doesn't guarantee anything. Though I imagine they should grow somewhat I suppose. Lets be honest, there are only a few important sports that people actually care about. If those get better, I suppose UND fans should be happy.

Just because Women's Hockey is #2 in attendence doesn't mean anything. Now if Women's Hockey is going to make money, that means something. I believe women's hockey at UND loses less money each year lately? This is good for UND but who knows if that trend will continue or not. I'd consider anything less than a total black hole for money in women's hockey a success. So in that sense UND is doing just fine in that area.

I don't doubt that women's hockey loses money on a an annual basis. I was referring to Dan's "a lot of money". Does he have actual figures? i would "think" that the team with the #2 attendance in the nation is not a huge money pit, but I don't have the actual numbers either.

You are right, joining the Big Sky doesn't guarantee anything. UND will need to perform to maximize it's membership. UND does get a share of the Big Sky money now, as opposed to no money with the Great West. The Big Sky will give UND opportunities to build relationships and rivalries. Attendance will increase with these new relationships.

Getting back to Women's hockey, if they win a NC, but don't make any money doing it, would that make them a drain on the athletic department. I would think not.

Very few athletic departments make money and very sports within an athletic department make money.

UND hockey makes money and rather than holding the "other sports back", it pays for a lot of what those sports have.

Getting back to Women's hockey, if they win a NC, but don't make any money doing it, would that make them a drain on the athletic department. I would think not.

Very few athletic departments make money and very sports within an athletic department make money.

UND hockey makes money and rather than holding the "other sports back", it pays for a lot of what those sports have.

Anytime you win a national title, it is worth it.

I don't doubt that women's hockey loses money on a an annual basis. I was referring to Dan's "a lot of money". Does he have actual figures?

Don't worry, I'm confident that BisonDan has the "actual figures"........................

I'm sure that he will enlighten us shortly...........................................

Don't worry, I'm confident that BisonDan has the "actual figures"........................

I'm sure that he will enlighten us shortly...........................................

I believe I saw some figures on the internet once, but who knows how true they are. Stats can show whatever you want them to.

For all you delusional people women's hockey is the golden goose. There happy?

For all you delusional people women's hockey is the golden goose. There happy?

No one is delusional, I would expect the same response from any bison fan if I just started throwing out claims without any numbers to back it.

• Upvote 1

Is that like wrestling neutralizes a lot of money at some schools?

I could be wrong but I believe wrestling would be significantly cheaper than women's hockey.

From what I saw, wrestling is allowed 9.9 scholarships. women's hockey is allowed 18.

I could be wrong but I believe wrestling would be significantly cheaper than women's hockey.

From what I saw, wrestling is allowed 9.9 scholarships. women's hockey is allowed 18.

Does wrestling attract a lot of fans? Does it sell a lot of tickets? Ticket sales can help offset some of those expenses.

Ever think that hockey might be holding the "other" sports back?

Nope. Man it must have hurt Terry to write this column. http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/

That number for UND is only going to grow. I have heard football season ticket sales had a nice bump this offseason. And hopefully with the women's and men's basketball teams finally being in a conference thier attendance will increase. Also, every women's volleyball game seemed to have more and more people at it last year as the season went a long. Huge number and still a lot of room for improvement, without having to spend any money on new facilities.

• Upvote 4

Idalski lands 2-year contract extension

University of North Dakota Athletics Director Brian Faison announced today that head women's hockey coach Brian Idalski has received a two-year contract extension that will keep him at the helm of his program through the 2016-17 season.

Idalski guided his team to the most successful season in program history in 2011-12, his fifth year behind the UND bench. UND went 22-13-3 to set a program record for victories while securing its first NCAA postseason berth. Junior forwards Jocelyne and Monique Lamoureux became UND's first women's hockey All-Americans, while Jocelyne Lamoureux became the school's first top-3 finalist for the Patty Kazmaier Award, given annually to the top player in NCAA Division I women's hockey.

Lets see

Football, MBB and both hockey coaches taken care of with extensions

There was one more extension taken care and that one is being announced tomorrow.

Safe to assume it would be Hardee?

No doubt Hardee is the last announcement. Probably to stay consistent with the Muss and Jones, I bet it will be for 3 years.