SiouxSports.com Forum

UND/Midco 5 year contract

GeauxSioux

Is that true that Cable One in Fargo offered the UND games that were on Midco last year to their customers? The only complaint I have heard about our Sports Network is that it is not available in Fargo. If it is offered in Fargo, then our sports television package is really tremendous.

Granted things could change in the future with the contracts the 2 schools have. I would like to think the marketing appeal of UND is going to get a lot stronger in the future now that we are done with our transition. In the present though UND's television situation is way way way better than NDSU's. In fact NDSU's situation isn't even the same league with UND's. That is true in more than one way. Big Sky over the Summit. There is no comparison right now. I an frankly surprised NDSU has kind of missed the boat on that end of the marketing of their programs. NDSU has kind of had things their way during UND's transition but things are about to change. UND is back and is going to be stronger than ever. When the schools parted UND was better than NDSU and I think it is going to pick up where it left off. Oh wait. We already beat them in Basketball and Volleyball.

NDSU is EXCELLENT in marketing their program statewide, but that is where it ends. That is where UND and NDSU are very different. UND is a nationally followed school, NDSU a regionally followed school.

So the question is if CBS has all the rights to hockey after this year will they be show regionally too? What about the games tht CBS doesn't want to show? Can they be on FCS?

Midco will be able to air the hockey games no matter what since it's regional. CBS College Sports has exclusive rights to the national broadcasts. So even if they don't air a game of ours, FCS won't be able to pick it up.

Is that true that Cable One in Fargo offered the UND games that were on Midco last year to their customers? The only complaint I have heard about our Sports Network is that it is not available in Fargo. If it is offered in Fargo, then our sports television package is really tremendous.

As a Fargo customer with CableOne I don't know if there were any games that were on FSSN that I didn't get. The only games I didn't get were the games on CBS Sports because CableOne doesn't offer that channel. If a game was on FCS (CO channel 306-308), FSSN (CO channel 70) or the Big Ten Network (CO channel 310 I think) I was able to watch the games.

If the games were live on TV chances were that I would be able to watch them. This was true for all sports and not just the hockey games. (however, I don't get some of the games when UND is on the road like Bemidji or St. Cloud where I would have to go somewhere else where Midco cable was provided in order to watch the games)

Last year CableOne dedicated channel 70 to FSSN, it used to be that once the games started they would be shown on channel 45 which was a channel for infomercials only.

What happened to CBS television and everyone saying that we won't see many games on tv anymore without Midco channel? Midco just signed a five year deal, CBS was supposed to start next year, I don't get it? I'm happy, but this makes no sense!

Hmmm.. Let's see. Upon the start of the 2013-14 season, the hockey program will go from having 20+ games nationally televised to no more than 5 according to the CBS Sports contract discussed several months ago. Fans outside the regional Midco footprint will have few viewing options outside the webcast, if they can even get that. This is nothing to be happy about, even if you can access the regional network. Interestingly, UND had earned a nice national fan base considering its size and geographic isolation. FCS put UND sports into millions of homes 20+ times a year. Not so much after next year. I thought the D-I move was to improve the entire program, not restrain or minimize its top draw?

• Upvote 1

I thought the D-I move was to improve the entire program, not restrain or minimize its top draw?

How is the D1 move restraining the top draw? If anything, one could argue the hockey program is holding back the rest of the sports by possibly ending the FCS broadcast agreement. This has absolutely nothing to do with the D1 move.

Hmmm.. Let's see. Upon the start of the 2013-14 season, the hockey program will go from having 20+ games nationally televised to no more than 5 according to the CBS Sports contract discussed several months ago. Fans outside the regional Midco footprint will have few viewing options outside the webcast, if they can even get that. This is nothing to be happy about, even if you can access the regional network. Interestingly, UND had earned a nice national fan base considering its size and geographic isolation. FCS put UND sports into millions of homes 20+ times a year. Not so much after next year. I thought the D-I move was to improve the entire program, not restrain or minimize its top draw?

Has nothing to do with elevating the rest of the programs to DI. The NCHC is to blame for the impending loss of Sioux hockey on Fox College Sports.

Has nothing to do with elevating the rest of the programs to DI. The NCHC is to blame for the impending loss of Sioux hockey on Fox College Sports.

Actually, the shortsightedness of UND's athletic department is to blame... 100%.

How is the D1 move restraining the top draw? If anything, one could argue the hockey program is holding back the rest of the sports by possibly ending the FCS broadcast agreement. This has absolutely nothing to do with the D1 move.

Huh? Isn't the hockey program the top program that puts money back into the department? Suggesting it is holding back the rest of the sports is, well, stupid. These TV deals make the athletic dept look like amateurs.

What did the previous FCS contract pay UND to broadcast all the home games? Maybe CBS' deal generates just as much revenue? Obviously the Sioux are getting less exposure nationally with this new contract...just trying to understand the logic for making this move..(Or maybe there isn't any)

What did the previous FCS contract pay UND to broadcast all the home games? Maybe CBS' deal generates just as much revenue? Obviously the Sioux are getting less exposure nationally with this new contract...just trying to understand the logic for making this move..(Or maybe there isn't any)

I recall previous discussion indicating neither of the contracts generated revenue.... If so, the only difference between the two is less national exposure, but HD. Not much of a trade IMO.

I recall previous discussion indicating neither of the contracts generated revenue.... If so, the only difference between the two is less national exposure, but HD. Not much of a trade IMO.

Don't forget that the new Midco Sports Channel contract is going to pay UND $1 million over 5 years. The previous TV contracts paid nothing, and may have cost UND money for production expenses. As others have stated, Midco is going to try to work with FCS to broadcast at least some of the UND games in future years.

Don't forget that the new Midco Sports Channel contract is going to pay UND $1 million over 5 years. The previous TV contracts paid nothing, and may have cost UND money for production expenses. As others have stated, Midco is going to try to work with FCS to broadcast at least some of the UND games in future years.

The previous TV contract paid $40,000 a year, a far cry from nothing as you indicate. I understand this looks good but just remember, Midco can recoup that 1 million dollars a lot faster than WDAZ. WDAZ only source of income from FSSN was from the ads they sold, Midco will sell ads and could raise people cable bills by $1 and make more than 1 million in a year.