SiouxSports.com Forum

Buy or Sell

sioux24/7

That's the trouble with you guys you think money is the real key to success. Money is only one ingredient in the mix.

But kind of an important one when it comes to college athletics. What are the others?

• TV contract- Check
  • Solid conference- Check
  • Program tradition- Check
  • Getting through transition and nickname figured out- Check
  • Facilities- With the addition of the IPC (Check)
  • Coaching- The staff has been improving on the field, has done well recruiting off the field
  • Competitive schedule- Check (minus the SDSoM game, its tough to not look at the home games the next 3 years and not be excited)

• Upvote 3

That's the trouble with you guys you think money is the real key to success. Money is only one ingredient in the mix.

Money buys facilities that excels the program. Why do you think NDSU basketball is in the dumps...their arena sucks. So they are using "money" to build the new SHAC to excel that sport. UND is going to use their "money" to build a IPF and to excel the football program. The REA was built with over 100 million dollars to excel the program and just look at how many UND players made it to the next level (either NHL, minor league hockey or the Olympics). Montana would be exactly like NDSU was when we overtook them in 1993. NDSU didn't go to the cellar they stayed in the top 3 or so every year. Montana will just have to adjust to UND being a threat like MSU, Cal Poly, and an occassional EWU. But that is the future lets take it one season at a time. Once UND gets their first BSC title..more "higher rating" recruits will be signing with UND, especially if and when the IPF is built.

Money buys facilities that excels the program. Why do you think NDSU basketball is in the dumps...their arena sucks. So they are using "money" to build the new SHAC to excel that sport. UND is going to use their "money" to build a IPF and to excel the football program. The REA was built with over 100 million dollars to excel the program and just look at how many UND players made it to the next level (either NHL, minor league hockey or the Olympics). Montana would be exactly like NDSU was when we overtook them in 1993. NDSU didn't go to the cellar they stayed in the top 3 or so every year. Montana will just have to adjust to UND being a threat like MSU, Cal Poly, and an occassional EWU. But that is the future lets take it one season at a time. Once UND gets their first BSC title..more "higher rating" recruits will be signing with UND, especially if and when the IPF is built.

I like the optimism of people towards the football program, but this is the reality. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Let's first reach the point of competing for conference championships before we worry about replacing Montana as the top dog in the conference. So blast me if you want but I will have to sell "dethroning Montana as the top dog in the BSC" within the first 10 years.

Montana would be exactly like NDSU was when we overtook them in 1993. NDSU didn't go to the cellar they stayed in the top 3 or so every year. Montana will just have to adjust to UND being a threat like MSU, Cal Poly, and an occassional EWU. But that is the future lets take it one season at a time. Once UND gets their first BSC title..more "higher rating" recruits will be signing with UND, especially if and when the IPF is built.

NDSU got beat down by the scholarship rule and a rising UND certainly didn't help. Montana probably won't be dealing with the scholarship rule. Montana has an exceptional FCS program and UND has so far done nothing to show their ability to overtake Montana. Endowments and donors are great, but I'm sure Montana has them as well. And Montana's donors like football.

NDSU got beat down by the scholarship rule and a rising UND certainly didn't help.

So fewer scholarship (less money) hurt NDSU? I thought money wasn't the solution.

Then again, everyone was playing under the same scholarship cap. Would that mean NDSU wasn't using them as wisely as others at the time?

• Upvote 2

So fewer scholarship (less money) hurt NDSU? I thought money wasn't the solution.

Then again, everyone was playing under the same scholarship cap. Would that mean NDSU wasn't using them as wisely as others at the time?

I never said money wasn't the solution. I said Montana won't give up their spot on top of the mountain.

fewer scholarships=more parity.

I never said money wasn't the solution. I said Montana won't give up their spot on top of the mountain.

fewer scholarships=more parity.

No team gives up their top spot, its earned with hard work and UND will be up to the challenge or else why have a program. Montana had some offseason issues whether that hurts them is to be seen with this season coming up. If they look strong it will be tough to dethrone them, but if they fall into the middle of the pack then other teams will be licking their chops to replace them at the top. Getting to the top is the easy part...staying at the top is the hard part.

In the 49 year history of the Big Sky, UM has won 19 conference football championships. MSU has won13. The next closes is Idaho with 8 and Boise St. with 6. It's one thing to win a conference championship, which I think UND will do in the next 10 years. It's a whole other level when you are talking about being the best program in the Big Sky. Can UND get there. Perhaps, but it's going to take longer than the rest of this decade to get to that point. Montana is the program in the Big Sky and it's going to take some history of winning Conference chamionships in order for that to be considered.

If UND judges it's success by the program overtaking Montana it will be a tough row to hoe.

IMO, and I don't have time to look up stats to support my stance right now, but Montana is the best "program" at the FCS level and it really isn't close in my mind. The consistency from year to year, what was it up until a few years ago 16 years in a row making the playoffs. That is completely unprecedented as far as I know.

All FCS teams should strive to have half the success that Montana has enjoyed over the last 3 decades.

Montana is IT when it comes to FCS football and has been for a long time.

If UND judges it's success by the program overtaking Montana it will be a tough row to hoe.

IMO, and I don't have time to look up stats to support my stance right now, but Montana is the best "program" at the FCS level and it really isn't close in my mind. The consistency from year to year, what was it up until a few years ago 16 years in a row making the playoffs. That is completely unprecedented as far as I know.

All FCS teams should strive to have half the success that Montana has enjoyed over the last 3 decades.

Montana is IT when it comes to FCS football and has been for a long time.

It seems like a similar situation to what happened in the early 90's with us. The IPF looming will be a game changer, and hopefully the program gets a financial commitment from the athletic department required to be excellent.

Does anyone know what the difference is in UND and NDSU funding for football?

It seems like a similar situation to what happened in the early 90's with us. The IPF looming will be a game changer, and hopefully the program gets a financial commitment from the athletic department required to be excellent.

Does anyone know what the difference is in UND and NDSU funding for football?

I believe as of a season or so ago NDSU spent about $300,000 more. Don't quote me on that though. May be misremembering it or may have misread the chart I saw it on.

Selling on that, isn't the SDSU and Portland game in the first 3?

But kind of an important one when it comes to college athletics. What are the others?

• TV contract- Check
  • Solid conference- Check
  • Program tradition- Check
  • Getting through transition and nickname figured out- Check
  • Facilities- With the addition of the IPC (Check)
  • Coaching- The staff has been improving on the field, has done well recruiting off the field
  • Competitive schedule- Check (minus the SDSoM game, its tough to not look at the home games the next 3 years and not be excited)

How about Quality Educational Institution?

I believe as of a season or so ago NDSU spent about $300,000 more. Don't quote me on that though. May be misremembering it or may have misread the chart I saw it on.

Selling on that, isn't the SDSU and Portland game in the first 3?

Does NDSU have an actual Nike deal or do they just buy all Nike?

In the 49 year history of the Big Sky, UM has won 19 conference football championships. MSU has won13. The next closes is Idaho with 8 and Boise St. with 6. It's one thing to win a conference championship, which I think UND will do in the next 10 years. It's a whole other level when you are talking about being the best program in the Big Sky. Can UND get there. Perhaps, but it's going to take longer than the rest of this decade to get to that point. Montana is the program in the Big Sky and it's going to take some history of winning Conference chamionships in order for that to be considered.

It will take awhile to be known at the best in the BSC but if UND can get a title under their belt which I think will be done this decade...they can then gain confidence of multiple titles which IMO will take longer than a decade. 19 for Montana..UND won't beat that since I don't think we will be in the FCS that long I think UND will be in the FBS in maybe 10-15 years from now or at least a FBS study will be underway in that timeframe.

Buy or sell only one road loss

Buy or sell top ten scoring defense

Buy or sell Mussman winning Big Sky coach of the year

Buy or sell >1 playoff win this year

Buy or sell multiple seniors will get drafted

Buy or sell new all blacks becoming a signature of the program and a huge recruiting tool

There now maybe there will be something to talk about

Buy or sell new all blacks becoming a signature of the program and a huge recruiting tool

There now maybe there will be something to talk about

Buy on the jerseys, the rest would be great but I'm not so sure about them.

Sell

Don't like our chances on the road against MSU or EWU

Sell

Questionable (at best) secondary in a pass happy league

Sell

The coach of the conference champ will get the honor, and I don't think that is in the cards this year for North Dakota. It'll go to either Walsh or Ash. My money is on Walsh.

Sell

North Dakota will be on the playoff bubble this year. If we do in fact get in (I presume we will) I'm guessing it'll be a tough draw.

Sell

The talent on this team are the underclassmen for the most part. One or two seniors may get a sniff.

Sell

Blacks would be for a change of pace, just like they are for the hockey, basketball, and softball teams.