SiouxSports.com Forum

Buy or Sell

sioux24/7

Buy or sell this being the most talented team in UND history

It's so hard to compare eras

A better question would be "is this the talent we need to be where we want to be this season?" An even better question would be "can Muss finally put things together?" Let's face it - our transition has been mediocre - the only signature win during our transition was for an opponent (Sioux Falls). We haven't been horrible nor have we been great. New year, new conference, full playoff eligibility -- let's see if we can get things done now that the excuse of transition is over. There is no doubt we have some talent - can we play to potential? - the jury is still out on Muss's teams playing to potential - This is a crucial year for us if we want to capture the excitement in the Alerus again

• Upvote 1

If the 2001, 2003, 2006, and especially the early 70s teams are more talented than this year's team, it will be a disappointing year. This team needs to end up being either the most talented or 2nd most talented team in UND history to even make the playoffs this season. If we're really that down on this team to the point where four or maybe five D2 UND teams are considered more talented, well, it will be a middle of the pack in the Big Sky type season. I don't know if I would buy this team being the best just yet - it’s too early, but there is no way this team is the fifth or sixth most talented team. It has to be top 3 given the D1 talent. If it is as mediocre as some think it is, there will be no playoffs, honest truth. Remember, in 2001 and 2003 we were playing teams like Grand Valley St., St. Cloud St. and Augustana, NOT teams like Montana, Eastern Washington, and San Diego State! I'm just trying to put this in perspective. If this year's team is considerably less talented than some of our D2 teams, this will be a .500 season. Hope the talent on the team is at least top 3 all time and we get into the playoffs. I mean, as good as our 2001 team was, it likely wouldn’t have beat teams like Montana, Montana State, and Eastern Washington.

Of course, this is all just hypothetical; let’s just wait for the season and hope everything turns out BETTER than we expect!

Specifically, the 1972 and 1975 teams were very good. This was before the Divisional breakdown of I-A, I-AA, DII, and DIII. There were only two divisions then. North Dakota won 10 games in those two years against solid opponents that included schools like Montana, Montana St., UNLV, and Cal Poly. They also won the regional bowl games those years that factored into determining the national champion. Personally, I've always maintained that Jerry Olson's teams of that era were the high-water mark for Sioux football. In my eyes, it would take an FCS national championship or something close to it to for any future North Dakota team surpass the 1972 & 1975 teams.

I think this year's team is still very much a question mark. I think they are one player away from being a very dynamic offensive squad, but I don't put enough stock into a spring practice to say that the problem is solved. Special teams are very good. But one component of the defense was a huge liability last season. A significant upgrade is needed in the secondary, I hope we got it.

• Upvote 2

Specifically, the 1972 and 1975 teams were very good. This was before the Divisional breakdown of I-A, I-AA, DII, and DIII. There were only two divisions then. North Dakota won 10 games in those two years against solid opponents that included schools like Montana, Montana St., UNLV, and Cal Poly. They also won the regional bowl games those years that factored into determining the national champion. Personally, I've always maintained that Jerry Olson's teams of that era were the high-water mark for Sioux football. In my eyes, it would take an FCS national championship or something close to it to for any future North Dakota team surpass the 1972 & 1975 teams.

I think this year's team is still very much a question mark. I think they are one player away from being a very dynamic offensive squad, but I don't put enough stock into a spring practice to say that the problem is solved. Special teams are very good. But one component of the defense was a huge liability last season. A significant upgrade is needed in the secondary, I hope we got it.

I seem to remember the '75 team laying an egg in the first round of the playoffs in Livingston, AL. Agree on '72.

I think that game was in Grand Forks.

It was a miserable day. The assumption was that the Alabama guys wouldn't/couldn't compete with us - especially in 20 degree temps and wind. Although the first half was played quite evenly, Livingston had a nice lead due to some big plays. We got the ball on the 2nd half kickoff, got a first down or two, then Buck Kasowski had a 50-60 yard run that was called back due to a clip. We never really got it going after that. Many of us still think that, had that run not been called back, we may have back back to win that game. Bottom line - we lost 34-14.

It was a miserable day. The assumption was that the Alabama guys wouldn't/couldn't compete with us - especially in 20 degree temps and wind. Although the first half was played quite evenly, Livingston had a nice lead due to some big plays. We got the ball on the 2nd half kickoff, got a first down or two, then Buck Kasowski had a 50-60 yard run that was called back due to a clip. We never really got it going after that. Many of us still think that, had that run not been called back, we may have back back to win that game. Bottom line - we lost 34-14.

Yes......those were the facts. Not a pleasant day for us Sioux fans who were expecting the predicted Sioux blow out.

I seem to remember the '75 team laying an egg in the first round of the playoffs in Livingston, AL. Agree on '72.

Oops........................... had my bowl seasons mixed up.

I was thinking 1966 when UND won the Pecan Bowl. We smoked Montana, Idaho St., and Northern Iowa that year. Montana St. beat the hell out of us though.

I think the 1975 season was one of the first with the playoff system. I'd still put that 1975 team up against most other UND teams...........................

You can't believe everything you read and there was alot of hype regarding the Alabama boys.I do believe that it was Dale Kasowski that suited up for Sioux in that quarterfinal game.

You are correct - I knew that but just typed the wrong name!

Oops........................... had my bowl seasons mixed up.

I was thinking 1966 when UND won the Pecan Bowl. We smoked Montana, Idaho St., and Northern Iowa that year. Montana St. beat the hell out of us though.

The 75 team against any other UND team? Based on accounts of others as I believe you weren't born yet?

I wonder how the 2001 team would have faired in the Big Sky.....

Buy or sell, the 2001 team finishes in the top five of the Big Sky?

I'll buy that. Montana won a National Title that year with 14 straight wins to finish the year but Northern Arizona was the only other Big Sky team to make the playoffs and they lost in the first round. Montana State finished 5-6 overall and finished 4th while Eastern Washington went 3-4 in the Big Sky and finished 5th. I think the 2001 UND team finishes 4th or 5th.

I'll buy that. Montana won a National Title that year with 14 straight wins to finish the year but Northern Arizona was the only other Big Sky team to make the playoffs and they lost in the first round. Montana State finished 5-6 overall and finished 4th while Eastern Washington went 3-4 in the Big Sky and finished 5th. I think the 2001 UND team finishes 4th or 5th.

Hard to say...you had teams playing a DI schedule and look at our 2001 schedule:

Central Washington

UM-Crookston

UNC

New Haven

SDSU

NDSU

SCSU

UNO

MSU-Mankato

Augy

USD

Winona State

Pitt State

UC Davis

Grand Valley St.

Good strength of teams in postseason (minus WSU), but OOC games vs CWU, Crookston, and New Haven? Sorry they are not DI calabur. I think we would be in the middle of the pack of the BSC but not towards the top.

Hard to say...you had teams playing a DI schedule and look at our 2001 schedule:

Central Washington

UM-Crookston

UNC

New Haven

SDSU

NDSU

SCSU

UNO

MSU-Mankato

Augy

USD

Winona State

Pitt State

UC Davis

Grand Valley St.

Good strength of teams in postseason (minus WSU), but OOC games vs CWU, Crookston, and New Haven? Sorry they are not DI calabur. I think we would be in the middle of the pack of the BSC but not towards the top.

Only 7 teams in the Big Sky in 2001. 4th or 5th is the middle of the pack.

I wonder how the 2001 team would have faired in the Big Sky.....

Buy or sell, the 2001 team finishes in the top five of the Big Sky?

Buy, and I say top 3. We beat the best in Div. II, so it's not necessarily a stretch to say that we could have finished in the Top 3 in the Big Sky.

The 75 team against any other UND team? Based on accounts of others as I believe you weren't born yet?

I said most other teams. No, I wasn't born yet, but I feel I can still recognize a talented squad. Going 9-1 against that 1975 schedule is quite impressive to me.

I just feel that the competition that North Dakota was playing and succeeding against from the mid-60's to the mid-70's was more impressive than that of the National Championship era of the early 2000's. In no way do I mean to discredit the '01 or '03 teams, or any other for that matter. It is just my opinion that the success the program had from about 1964 to 1975 impresses me most when looking through the history of Sioux football, given the level they were competing at during that time. That is when UND should have moved to DI along with the Montana schools and Northern Iowa.....................

• Upvote 1

Going back to the 2001 team, I buy middle of the pack. That defense was special. Boy, nothing I enjoyed more than the Alerus center rocking on third down, and Bubba sending a blitz....opposing offensive coordinators knew he was going to blitz the $hit out of them, and they still found ways to get to the QB.

The downfall would be the offense. Klosterman was a good QB, they had some good receivers and RB's, but I don't think they would have faired too well against some of the defenses in the Big Sky.

Unless he can play safety and contribute immediately, I hope they redshirt him.

I hope we don't see a Garman situation happen all over again. If they take the redshirt off he'll need to be on the field as much as possible.