SiouxSports.com Forum

Volleyball 2012... FIRST YEAR BIG SKY!

SWSiouxMN

Let's get a good crowd behind these girls tonight as they face a very quality opponent, former NCC mate, and defending Big Sky champion Northern Colorado. Tonight's game should be a gauge as to what level of play is needed to win the conference.

Lost the first set 17-25.

Northern Colorado is really able to get up and put the ball down. We seem really disjointed at times where everyone is scrambling. Still struggle to receive serves.

Crowd seems weak. But we haven't seen the home side.

The web stream on big sky tv looks really good. Best one I've seen from bstv this year?

The production value from Midco has been excellent. Good directing and camera work. Looks like a minimum 5 camera setup with a 2 m/e switcher. For those that don't know, that's quite a bit for a volleyball match.

Hard to believe that these two teams had the same Big Sky record coming into the game. The VB girls dismantled SUU with ease (game time was only 1:20 or so). Again, I think that win at NDSU really sparked them, and I foresee a good winning streak here. NAU on Saturday should be good competition, but I think they get 'em in 4. Idaho St. on 10/25 should be quite the showdown.

Lost in three to NAU. They were very athletic defensively. Got a bunch of blocks but especially seemed to dig a lot of balls. We hung in there and had good leads in each game but we have this tendency to hit balls out and allow opponent back in. NAU's best player was a freshman as well.

To me our girls looked a bit sluggish. NAU definitely had some good players but we had a tendency to make them look even better. Possibly fatigue after 3 games in 6 days, but regardless not a good showing tonight.

Pretty decent crowd tonight though, 984. Would be good to get that many on a consistent basis and get that over 1000.

To me our girls looked a bit sluggish. NAU definitely had some good players but we had a tendency to make them look even better. Possibly fatigue after 3 games in 6 days, but regardless not a good showing tonight.

Pretty decent crowd tonight though, 984. Would be good to get that many on a consistent basis and get that over 1000.

We did seem a tad slow but we seemed to be jumping and blocking about the same. One thing that has gotten a lot better as season has gone on is the confusion defensively and transitionally. We don't seem to be bumping into each other as often.

Also it should be noted that Krueger ended up becoming the setter part way thru set 3. Also the freshman from Carrington played all of set 2 (can't think of her name right now). I wish she'd swing tho bc she looks tentative.

I was surprised at how many people were there and that was definitely a plus. I really expected attendance to be better this year and consistently around a 1000.

Sluggish? That was an understatement. They did not look their best.

Hardee was not very happy tonight with the play of the girls. I was about 6 rows from their bench during the second set and after that first game, he was just absolutely livid and lit into his team.

Crowd size was good, semi surprised by that.

Lost in three to NAU. They were very athletic defensively. Got a bunch of blocks but especially seemed to dig a lot of balls. We hung in there and had good leads in each game but we have this tendency to hit balls out and allow opponent back in. NAU's best player was a freshman as well.

NAU is a very disciplined team that makes few errors. They have two freshmen that are among their top scorers, so they likely will be very good in years to come. One of those freshmen, Payton Bock, has family in Grand Forks and I believe her dad may be a Grand Forks Central grad.

NAU has only had three Big Sky games at home so far, and they have yet to play Portland St, Idaho St, N Colo, or UND at home. With that schedule, NAU may well be the favorite to win the conference. Idaho St plays their last six of nine on the road.

I was surprised at how many people were there and that was definitely a plus. I really expected attendance to be better this year and consistently around a 1000.

Well, we arent off too much from our numbers from last year. Through 9 games this year we are averaging 797. Last year we averaged 853, which yes it is lower, but consider those numbers are skewed slightly because of the 2,394 against NDSU and the 1271 against Utah Valley in the tourney. Take those two out and its 690, I like that our attendance is pretty consistent, its been around 700-800 for most games. It might be next year with everyone coming back and more than likely both NDSU and SDSU coming here would push the average attendance past 1000.

Well, we arent off too much from our numbers from last year. Through 9 games this year we are averaging 797. Last year we averaged 853, which yes it is lower, but consider those numbers are skewed slightly because of the 2,394 against NDSU and the 1271 against Utah Valley in the tourney. Take those two out and its 690, I like that our attendance is pretty consistent, its been around 700-800 for most games. It might be next year with everyone coming back and more than likely both NDSU and SDSU coming here would push the average attendance past 1000.

I had it in my head that our attendance average was higher last year even taking out the ndsu game. So thanks for the info and I guess it's good to see we've probably gone up a bit. Now if only more students would show up (tho I was behind bench tonight and didn't see how many were in student section). It seems more middle and high school teams go to games than college students.

Knowing what we got for attendance against ndsu I was a bit surprised to see they didn't hold that match at sports arena. I get wanting a nice full noisy stadium so it brings my question of do they ever play in bigger arena?

A significant road trip for the girls this weekend as they head west to play the Montana schools. They sit 5-5 in conference and tied for 5th in conference with Montana State. A road sweep of both the Griz and the Bobcats would help move up a spot in the conference standing and put a little distance between them and whoever is in 7th place. They haven't gotten a weekend sweep yet, but I think with the way they have been playing recently and starting to put it together, this finally might be the weekend it happens.