SiouxSports.com Forum

Measure 4 tv ad

darell1976

I have all the history as I was part of it, more than most of you. I worked there in the 1990s and the cultivation of Ralph and others. Those you mentioned are having to walk along the line with the administration or they will be let go. I have read these boards and all the ridiculous accusations at other posters. I finally had to say something. UND will be fine, either way!

Good for you. Many of us donate to UND. Many of us have been part of UND, as a student, donor, season ticket holder or employee, for many years. We care about the University and the damage that will be done by being under sanctions. You obviously don't care about the University being damaged. I'm not going to waste time trying to convince you. We are going to continue to work to kill this issue. If the Yes vote fails it will go back to the Supreme Court and there is a decent chance it gets thrown out. And we will work to kill the proposed constitutional amendment. Because we are working to help the University instead of getting stuck in the past.
  • Upvote 3

I have all the history as I was part of it, more than most of you. I worked there in the 1990s and the cultivation of Ralph and others. Those you mentioned are having to walk along the line with the administration or they will be let go. I have read these boards and all the ridiculous accusations at other posters. I finally had to say something. UND will be fine, either way!

Hi Noob. Are you Dave or ... well, your command of the English language is better than our resident sheep herder.

I have hundreds of family members who are voting NO. I donate to the University, and have family members who played football for UND. Unfortunately, for many of you, the vote will be close, but we will remain the Fighting Sioux folks. BTW... who cares if we play Minnesota in football in the next five years, they are rebuilding now. The power of the Fighting Sioux name will live on.

Hundreds of family members in Nodak alone huh? I have seen some big extended families but come on man...hundreds lol okay...

Hundreds of family members in Nodak alone huh? I have seen some big extended families but come on man...hundreds lol okay...

He also has family members that played football who are willing to give up ever having a chance to host playoff games. I don't know if I have ever met a football player who would willingly give up a home playoff game.

The football guys who understand the impacts (no home football playoff games, ever) are some of the biggest, "Yes, retire it" folks out there.

As well they should be. They would be asked to pay the biggest price, along with the women's hockey team, because of the visibility of the sports and the impact on their ability to compete.

The football guys who understand the impacts (no home football playoff games, ever) are some of the biggest, "Yes, retire it" folks out there.

Count me in that group. I don't like having to retire the name but it is the only reasonable thing to do. We fought the good fight and the penalties aren't worth it anymore.

He also has family members that played football who are willing to give up ever having a chance to host playoff games. I don't know if I have ever met a football player who would willingly give up a home playoff game.

Oh, I don't know about that. When I was a fourth grader at Our Lady of the Worthless Miracle, our home field was an asphalt parking lot. We were more than happy to play our flag football championship at St. Vito The Shylock's semi-grassy front lawn in front our adoring parents, and a host of glaring priests and nuns.

And lets not forget that there are talks about changing the hockey playoff format where top teams would actually host NCAA playoff games.

The statement dave is so strongly defending about Minnesota is pathetic. I'm with you guys on that it was a lie. Minnesota not only schedules NDSU in football from time to time, but we play them in basketball every season I believe as well, or most seasons.

BTW, NDSU has also scheduled Iowa for football in either 2014 or 2016. So that part of the statement is wrong in two out of the three cases.

When is NDSU going to schedule Michigan. How would they do in front of 100,000 people? That would be a sight!!

And lets not forget that there are talks about changing the hockey playoff format where top teams would actually host NCAA playoff games.

Does anyone know if the NCAA did re-visit the REA? I know they were going to take a personal look at the arena to see if more, or less logos need to be removed.

No, but the lies spewed in that ad campaign sure do.

Your problem, Dave, is that you call anything you don't like lies. You don't wish to be confused by the facts and neither do others on your keep the name website.

Here are a couple of facts as best I can summarize for you and any of the others who are leading the charge that will hurt UND athletics and UND as an institution.. UND is a voluntary member of the NCAA. Over 400 members voted to ban Native American names, logos and mascots. Less than 10 members voted to support them. UND spent over $1,000,000 trying to save the name. The SBoHE, UND Alumni and supporters of UND fought for years to try and save the name. Many Native Americans support keeping the name and have tried to be supportive. Both tribes were given an opportunity to make their wishes known and their preference a reality back in 2005. Had one of the two tribes stated clearly to the NCAA that they as a tribe supported the name it would not be the issue we face today and UND alumni would have saved alot of money. When neither of them did that, the NCAA declared UND on the sanction list. Then UND, The SBoHE tried to sue the NCAA to force them to let us keep the name. It was clear to attorneys including the Attorney General, that UND would win the intitial lawsuit because the NCAA didn't follow their own policy. It was also clear we were screwing the proverbial dead horse because they would then follow their own policies and do the same thing and we would then lose litigation. UND and the SBoHE and the Attorney General got them to extend the deadline for UND and UND only. It did require both tribes to grant approval. During the additional time UND and SBoHE officials attempted to communicate and negotiate with Standing Rock Tribal Officials who restated their opposition to the name. That has been consistent since the late 1990's. They also refused to meet with UND or SBoHE officials over time.

The lies you refer to are the claim that UND or the SBoHE did nothing. The lies are that the tribes haven't been given a chance to "come to the table". They were given a chance to have their way and weren't required to come to the table. They were given the opportunity for discussion and negotiation over the years and the tribal officials weren't interested. Those are facts. It is also a fact that Standing Rock has not allowed their members to vote on the issue. That is their business and if their tribal members wish to do so then they can lobby their elected officials or elect new ones. It is stupid to claim they have no voice. Their elected officials made clear they want the name to go away and the tribal members hwve done nothing to change that stance. That is how their governement works, not how you or I or Fetch, or Frank think it should be done.

It is a fact that our membership in the Big Sky looks good for this year. It is also a fact that UND has been cautioned by their league commisioner that this issue could jeopardize our future with the league. It is a fact that Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and S. Dak. State won't play us as long as we are sanctioned. It is a fact that there are new reprots that the AC may not play us as long as we are on the sanctions list.

It is a fact that many recruits for all sports look at future games and schedules as they determine the factors when it comes to recruiting. Beloning to a league and who we play and where and how we travel are important factors. What kind of sports are available and who the opposing teams are, are a factor for fans when they consider going to games and supporting our teams. That is also a factor for some non-athletes when they consider where they will go to college. I know this because many years ago I was the Director of High School relations at UND and before that coached FB at UND and was involved with recruiting. Those of you who don't think this is a factor just don't know what you are talking about. Losing the ability to host playoffs is detrimental to our athletic teams. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant. For those who think hockey only and that this won't hurt hockey give some thought to maybe our best incoming recruit Jordan Schmalz. If his Dad and uncles didn't play FB at UND there isn't much chance he would be coming. He had committed to Wisconsin. Will that occur very often? Probably not but with recruiting for hockey at this level we need every advantage and can't afford to lose one kid over this issue.

Many former UND athletes and coaches as well as present UND athletes and coaches are telling you we need to vote yes for UND athletics. The Booster club, the Alumni association, UND student leaders, and the vast majority of former athletes and coaches and alumni who have a clear understanding of this issue, are very clear we need to vote yes. We need your help and it can in fact affect outcome of games more than anything else you have done. UND staff, students and Alumni have travled to Fargo and Minot to help with flood fighting and disasters amd will dontinue to do so regardless of the outcome of this issue. Do us all a favor in the meantime and vote yes for UND. Vote yes for UND athletics. Vote yes to prevent a potential disaster to UND.

• Upvote 1

It is a fact that Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and S. Dak. State won't play us as long as we are sanctioned. It is a fact that there are new reprots that the AC may not play us as long as we are on the sanctions list.

Who is AC?