SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Conference Countdown

bincitysioux

What does it mater when we officially join, if practice does not even start until Aguast. Games mid to late Aguast?

1. It's a step out of NCAA transition pergatory.

1a. It's a step out of NCAA independent pergatory.

2. UND will be in a destination FCS conference.

1. It's a step out of NCAA transition pergatory.

1a. It's a step out of NCAA independent pergatory.

2. UND will be in a destination FCS conference.

I bet Brain Faison and Robert Kelley has a huge circle around July 1st...as this was their #1 goal when UND decided to move up, have a successful transition and secure an AQ conference. July 1st--Mission accomplished

I was listening to an interview with the Big Sky Commissioner the other day and he talked about how he looked at athletic programs and how many programs are being built on student fees, guarantee games and institutional support (sfgis) which is not sustainable in the long run. I thought that I would look at the Big Sky schools to see what the conference looked like in that context, plus I just wanted to learn a bit more about the Big Sky and what UND was getting itself into… As I looked at the data, I came up with the following chart – thought it would be useful to share with other just learning about the Big Sky. General description of the chart:

1. X axis - % of athletic programs budget from sfgis
  2. Y axis - % of athletic budget attributed to football program
  3. Bubble Size – revenue from ticket sales – I choose this as an indicator of the following a program may have.

General Quadrant descriptions:

Top RHS – Football School with a healthy budget

Top LHS – Football School dependant on sfgis

Lower RHS – non Football dependant with a healthy budget

Lower LHS – non Football dependant on sfgis

NOTE:I added Idaho and New Mexico St just to see how they would fit in..Montana is impressive I can see why the WAC is talking to them..

Mods sorry if the image is too much.. I can delete it you like

• Upvote 4

Mods sorry if the image is too much.. I can delete it you like

As one of the moderators, there's nothing wrong with anything that you posted.

And I'm pretty confident the others and the Admin would agree.

Heck, maybe the Admin should show you how to use the Wiki feature of the board for analyses like that. :)

When you did your analysis, you grabbed data for Idaho and NMSU. Why didn't you grab a couple MVFC teams (like UNI, or SDSU, or NDSU)?

Actually, I think that I have the data for MV, Summit, MtnWest, Big West and Southland. I used it to create the norm data. But, I only took the time to chart the Big Sky. I guess that I am really looking forward to the Big Sky and I have kind of moved on with the xDSU/UNI/USD group... when I have some time (rainy day) in the near future I can chart the data it doesn't take much to do.. if I recall correctly, general thoughts as I cleaned data:

UNI/NDSU/SIU/MSU very comparable - UNI/MSU/SIU slightly basketball heavy and NDSU slightly football heavy.. SDSU healthy but a step behind right at norm with ticket revenue. USD has some major work to do ... but I have a lot of good friends from USD and they are very excited about the future of the program and it sounds like dome upgrades and new arena are being pushed..

The Summit is just wow - Oakland had something like $100,000 in ticket revenue compared to the norm average of around a $1 m (yes, I get the no football side of it - but they have a great program and 100k is it? - I think that is why they want the Horizon so bad - more rivals ie more ticket sales). Overall conference is kind of lopsided... xDSU on one side and everyone else on the other side. IUPUI had something like 30,000/40,000 in tickets sales.

MV very balanced and wow Wichita St. I think they have the money to start football..